General > General Discussion

General Soccer discussion.

<< < (2/246) > >>

one-eyed:

--- Quote from: Bentleigh-esque on July 29, 2013, 06:05:10 PM ---One eye

I demand you rename the thread association football or wogball not soccer

--- End quote ---
The word 'Soccer' is the abbreviation of Association Football. It's been around since the late 19th century in England when the game was first codified by the F.A. The English would take the first few letters and add -er to the end. So Association became Soc-c-er and Rugby became Rug-g-er. Rugger died out due to the 1895 Rugby split into Union and League but Soccer has survived in former English-speaking British colonies where it wasn't the dominant Football code. People who complain about the word Soccer clearly don't know the history of Association Football.

"Wogball" is an offensive term to mock the sport and was never used outside Australia.

Yeahright:
I was taught rugby was called rugby because it was invented in Rugby highschool  :-\

Hellenic Tiger:
A sandwich is called that because the Earl of Sandwich was hungry during a late night card game and ate a piece of meat between two pieces of bread.

Judge Roughneck:
I can confirm this is correct.

Judge Roughneck:
 came into use.

Certainly the most famous story in lawn bowls is about Sir Francis Drake and the Spanish Armada. On July 19, 1588, Drake was involved in a game at Plymouth when he was notified that the Spanish Armada had been sighted. The tale says his response was, "There is plenty of time to win the game and thrash the Spaniards too." He then proceeded to finish his match and the British Navy soundly defeated the Armada. There is a lot of controversy as to whether this event actually took place.

: :yep

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version