Football > Richmond Rant

Ex-Tiger Ty Zantuck’s damages claim [merged]

(1/13) > >>

one-eyed:
Zantuck’s damages bid hits ‘laughable’ snag

Michael Warner
Herald Sun
13 December 2018

A damages claim launched by former Richmond hardman Ty Zantuck over a spree of painkilling jabs has been hampered by the absence of medical records.

The Tigers have told Zantuck’s legal team they are not in possession of any records relating to treatments on players prior to the 2004 season.

Zantuck, 36, alleges he was injected with painkillers and epidurals up to 50 times over three seasons under the care of ex-Richmond doctor Chris Bradshaw in a bid to overcome a debilitating back injury between 2001-03.

He has endured 17 operations on his spine since retiring from the AFL 12 years ago, can no longer work and is battling permanent pain and depression.

The Olympic Park Sports Medicine Centre, where Zantuck was sometimes treated, has told lawyers its records for the 77-game defender were lawfully disposed after seven years.

The AFL Players’ Association said clubs were only obligated to keep records for seven years, in line with legislation.

Zantuck’s lawyer, Greg Griffin, said the seven-year rule was “extraordinary”.

“Everyone in international sport knows that long-term injuries are most likely to appear between 10 and 20 years after retirement,” Griffin said.

“It’s laughable and an indictment on the AFL that they have allowed clubs to have virtually no medical records and histories of players.

“It sits there and says it is the beacon of governance and the beacon of how to run a sport, but they’ve sold the players down the river.

“Ty Zantuck has been sold down the river. No ifs, no buts.

“There really should be a government inquiry into the medical treatment that was dished out by these clubs in the ’80s, ’90s and 2000s.”

Griffin is also leading a looming Federal Court concussion case involving up to 70 ex-players against the AFL and clubs where club medical records will be sought.

Bradshaw, who has since worked at Geelong and Collingwood, had his medical licence suspended over an unrelated matter in October 2017 while employed at the Magpies.

Zantuck, who played 68 games for Richmond and another nine at Essendon in 2005, has warned the AFL’s next generation of players to steer clear of painkilling injections at all costs.

“I’ve laid in hospital for weeks at a time on ketamine and morphine drips and that can just drain the life out of you,” the father of two told the Herald Sun in March.

An AFLPA spokesman said: “We are not involved with Ty’s claim but continue to offer him support available to all past players through our alumni program.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/former-richmond-hardman-ty-zantuck-seeking-damages-for-debilitating-back-injury/news-story/9fcdd3a6e1aff8f53eda69d19cdf7fa2

one-eyed:
Painkillers have had “catastrophic” effect on Zantuck

By SEN
13 Dec 2018

Ty Zantuck’s lawyer Greg Griffin has slammed Richmond for not possessing his client’s medical records following the injection of multiple painkillers during his stint with the Tigers.

Zantuck has sought a damages claim against his former club after being injected with painkillers and epidurals up to 50 times between 2001-03 to overcome a persistent back problem.

The 36-year-old has had 17 operations on his spine since calling time on his AFL career in 2005 that have had enormous consequences on his health and well-being.

“You don’t have to destroy records and you shouldn’t destroy records because players invariably who suffer from injuries, illnesses and affects from football, they don’t happen within seven years of retirement, they happen 10, 15 and 20 years after retirement,” Griffin told SEN Breakfast.

“For that reason, I’m actually quite appalled that these records don’t exist. He’s in a really difficult position.

“He’s had numerous operations, I think he’s quite frank about it, but he can basically barely work anymore, he’s depressed, he struggles to keep up with his children – it’s had a catastrophic effect on him.

“Quite frankly, I think his body is pretty well buggered.”

Zantuck, who made his AFL debut in 2000, played 77 games for Richmond and Essendon.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/12/12/painkillers-have-had-catastrophic-effect-on-zantuck/

YellowandBlackBlood:
While I feel sorry for him, I wonder how many of the 50 were epidurals and how many were pain killers. I assume that the majority were pain killers. Over 3 years, that is only 14 to 15 injections per year or less than one per week in a footy season. He would have also asked or at least agreed to the pain killers because all players want to continue to play.....

Also blaming a club after 15 years is drawing a long bow. For all we know he could have had a car accident, gone sky diving etc, etc since.

Of course I wish him all the best. However our society always wants to blame someone rather than take responsibility for the position they find themselves.

Assange Tiger 😎:
People might laugh but Zanners was actually somewhat important to us in 2002-03.

No idea what really happened, whether he wanted the injections or was assured it was all guchi. But I do know we were an embarrassment back then and it's a shambles that his medical records aren't available.

Good luck to him.

WilliamPowell:

--- Quote from: YellowandBlackBlood on December 13, 2018, 11:56:47 AM ---While I feel sorry for him, I wonder how many of the 50 were epidurals and how many were pain killers. I assume that the majority were pain killers. Over 3 years, that is only 14 to 15 injections per year or less than one per week in a footy season. He would have also asked or at least agreed to the pain killers because all players want to continue to play.....

Also blaming a club after 15 years is drawing a long bow. For all we know he could have had a car accident, gone sky diving etc, etc since.

Of course I wish him all the best. However our society always wants to blame someone rather than take responsibility for the position they find themselves.

--- End quote ---

:clapping :clapping

On top of that, they said even back in Zantuck's playing days player's had to sign a consent form prior to any injection.. so supposedly  he signed and agreed to the treatments  :huh3

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version