Football > Richmond Rant

List Discussion - Do we have any Elite players?

(1/2) > >>

mightytiges:
Just wondering if any of us think we have any players who are genuinely elite?

Borrowing the below categories from BB

Elite - Capable of being AA several times in career, or on closely missing out on a number of occassions

AFL Quality - At least 8 teams in the league have players of equivalent ability filling out positions 5=>18 on their list.

Borderline - Either: An established player who would be in and out of sides throughout the league OR a young player who is not yet at AFL level BUT is close to and if keeps improving shuld become so (or even become elite).

Unproven - yet to prove they can cut it at AFL level. Must have played at least a handful of games at AFL to get beyond this stage.

Here's mine (based on current status not potential).

Foley, Richo, Browny and Joel would be the closest to elite on current form but IMO they are at the top end of being AFL quality. 

Elite: -

AFL Quality: Newman, Deledio, Simmonds, Polak, Browny, J.Bowden, Richo, Pettifer, Johnson, Tuck, Tivendale, Thursfield, Foley

Borderline: Raines, Edwards, Polo, P.Bowden, Jackson, Coughlan, Schulz, Pattison, Krakouer, Tambling, Hyde, McGaune, Howat, King

Unproven: Riewoldt, Meyer, Peterson, JON, Hartigan, Hughes, White, Casserly, Connors, Moore, Collins, Graham, Clingan 

Your thoughts and listings?

wayne:
We don't.

Foley will be if he takes another step up next season. Deledio will be as well and Browny could get back to Elite.

An interesting comparison though would be with Collingwood or Kangaroos.

Both are finalists, but I would have no Collingwood player in Elite (Buckley is finished) and Kangaroos would have just Brent Harvey.

What teams need as well are Game Breakers, big time performers.

We have Browny and Foley is on the verge with those blistering centre break goals.

Hellenic Tiger:
Most of the borderline players mentioned mt and still babies who have played no more
than a handful of seasons and have shown some improvement and will continue to improve.
Daniel Connors is 1 who we would be in the  unproven  listings after playing 4 games even though he deserves to be in the borderine category.

bluey_21:

--- Quote from: Hellenic Tiger 74 on September 10, 2007, 09:28:00 PM ---Most of the borderline players mentioned mt and still babies who have played no more
than a handful of seasons and have shown some improvement and will continue to improve.
Daniel Connors is 1 who we would be in the  unproven  listings after playing 4 games even though he deserves to be in the borderine category.

--- End quote ---

IMHO browny is the only one you could really class in the elite, that is when he was in career best form before the snap and potentially if he finds that form again.

Also there are a few potential elites IMO, but as of yet they are too young

I'd say those with the POTENTIAL to be elite are:

Foley
Lids
Jack
Connors
Richie

Between elite and AFL quality:

Thursty
Edwards
Peterson

AFL quality:

Casserly
Hughes
Polo
Patto
Kingy
Polak

Between borderline and AFL quality

Jackson

Borderline

Raines
JON
Sarge

probably others I missed but off the top of my head that would be my list

mightytiges:
Rainesy will be fine in the long run IMO. He just tried to do too much this year and literally ran himself in trouble too often.

Cheers HT74. I've edited my list with Connors on it :thumbsup.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version