General > General Discussion

Controversial topic #2 - Flag debate

<< < (2/13) > >>

Smokey:
Yep.  "The more mature and confident" country has/had nothing to do with it - it's all relevant to the wording of the options.   :thumbsup

dwaino:
Personally I'm a fan of the Union Jack, it's own history, and the history we inherit by carrying it. It's where we as a country have come from and an identity I would personally not like to forfeit.

🏅Dooks:

--- Quote from: Smokey on December 26, 2015, 07:46:28 PM ---
--- Quote from: Dooks on December 26, 2015, 06:55:52 PM ---Good on them for having the courage.

It's probably insensitive to say this (well, I note this is titled 'controversial topic) but at the last referendum in 1999 re the Republic I said we'd need the majority of the pre-baby boomers to kick the bucket to tip the balance on these sorts of issues.

And compared to then I think we are a much more mature and confident country.

--- End quote ---

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I love the naivety of the young and starry-eyed.

And FWIW you will find strong support for a republic among the old and senile baby-boomers - we have far better memories of the deathly crimes committed against our best young people by the arrogant English warlords that used our parents and grandparents as cannon fodder than any of you young "mature and confident" worldly know-it-alls.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for calling me young Smokey  :thumbsup

Just to reiterate, I said pre-baby boomer (I.e. born pre 1945) is where the monarchy support is.

But yes, the generations after the baby boomers will (and are)  driving new ways of thinking. Those aged 55 to 70 have largely had there chance to drive change (and done so for better and worse).

But we are comparatively more worldly,  better educated and travelled than your lot were when you were our age.

And as you are beginning contemplate whether  you should try your first seniors meal, we're shaping and changing the world, which is as scary to the baby boomers as it is and was to Australians a generation older than you  ;)

mightytiges:

--- Quote from: dwaino on December 26, 2015, 11:26:19 PM ---Personally I'm a fan of the Union Jack, it's own history, and the history we inherit by carrying it. It's where we as a country have come from and an identity I would personally not like to forfeit.

--- End quote ---
But Australia has long had its own history and identity separate from that of the UK. We're all not Anglos  :whistle. As an Australian-born with mixed ancestries but who sees himself as Australian and only Australian, the Union Jack means nothing to me other than it's a flag of a foreign country.

Furthermore, it's modern historical revisionism to claim the Union Jack is on our flag for "heritage" reasons (I know this is now taught in schools :facepalm but it doesn't make it any less baseless and simply untrue). The Union Jack is there because it had to be when the flag was first created. No non-British ensign design would've been allowed to win the 1901 flag competition. Our current flag is simply a blue British ensign with stars added as local symbols (i.e. 'defaced') as was required within the British Empire back then. Britain was our superior and we were subservient to Britain, which is what the Union Jack in the canton represents (a standard rule in vexillology). All colonies/dominions of the British Empire were required to have one of these 'defaced' British ensign flags (mainly to identify where merchant ships came from). Canada, India, South Africa, NZ, Kenya, etc ... (a quarter of the land mass of the Earth) all had a 'defaced' British ensign flag too but virtually all have since changed their flag to one of their own.

In 2015, the British Empire is no more and long gone and Australia has, over the past 114 years, systematically separated itself from Britian (the 1986 Australia Act officially made the UK a foreign country to us). We are no longer ruled over by a foreign country, so the Union Jack should go from our flag's canton and from our flag full stop.

Stalin:
Who is it we (Australia) owe a trillion dollars to?

http://barnabyisright.com/resources-articles/who-owns-our-debt/

You don't get rules by war  , you get rules economically

Who owns that 73% foreign debt...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version