Author Topic: Brett Deledio press conference March 31 / Tigers 'back where we belong'  (Read 454 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Lids' press conference today ...

VIDEO: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2015-03-31/deledio-press-conference-march-31st

Tigers 'back where we belong': Deledio

Jennifer Phelan 
afl.com.au
March 31, 2015 11:27 AM

BRETT Deledio says the Tigers are rapt to be "back where we belong" in the opening game of the premiership season against Carlton at the MCG.

The unavailability of the ground early last season meant the home-and-away calendar kicked off with Collingwood-Fremantle at Etihad Stadium.

But this year the Richmond-Carlton match has been restored as the first on the fixture and the Tigers' vice-captain says that's the way it should be.

“We’re excited to get into the proper season. We’ve spent a long time training with a prolonged pre-season this year, with the cricket World Cup, so it’s good to get the ball rolling,” he said.

“It’s a big game.  We are lucky here at the Tiges that our supporters come out, rain, hail or shine, and we get to play in some pretty good games. We are back to where we belong - Round 1 at the ‘G versus Carlton.

“We’ve trained just as hard and practiced a lot of different things that we’ve put on show a little bit in the NAB Cup. But we are looking forward to making sure we can do that over the early rounds of the season.”

Deledio was quick to allay any suggestion that Richmond struggles against the Blues, given their most recent encounters.

“Every game’s a different game. It’s another game on Thursday night so we’re looking forward to challenging ourselves against a really good side,” he said.

Deledio's pre-season has again been marred by the Achilles soreness that has plagued him on and off for around four years.

On a personal level, Deledio says he is feeling good, despite the ongoing management of his Achilles, which saw him miss the opening rounds of last season.

He said he would train less this season in a bid to give himself the best chance of playing every game.

“I’ve had (it) for about three or four years on and off. It just rears its head every so often. Without proper management and getting my strength work into my calves and Achilles, I tend to battle with it a bit,” he said.

“I’ll certainly train less, depending on how my body is feeling week-to-week. I don’t intend on missing any games. I certainly would like to play them all, I always have.

“Our fitness staff and medical staff have been really good for me, and held me back at the right times, and just put a plan in place to make sure that I can not only get through this season, but play on for many more years to come,” he said.

Deledio expects to again play mainly forward this season, with cameos onball, in a similar role to those Shane Edwards, Trent Cotchin, Dustin Martin and elevated rookie Kane Lambert will fill.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-03-31/back-where-we-belong
http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2015-03-31/tigers-primed-for-blues

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Check and double-check: Tigers confident on drug protocols

Jennifer Phelan 
afl.com.au
March 31, 2015 10:30 AM

RICHMOND vice-captain Brett Deledio says he's "at ease" with the Tigers' protocols when it comes to ensuring players avoid taking banned substances.

With Collingwood's Lachlan Keeffe and Josh Thomas under provisional suspension after testing positive to a banned substance, Deledio was quizzed on Tuesday about Richmond's practices.

He said players were required to record online everything they took.

"If it is from the steak I think they've been a little bit unlucky, but the good thing for us is we can check and make sure it's all clear and you don't have to worry," Deledio said.

"Any questions we've got, we just go straight to the doc or our nutritionist.

"If you've got any doubts, ask the question and therefore you should eliminate most risk."

Deledio said the players knew they should ask the club's medical staff about anything that could be dubious.

"You've got to tick off everything these days, and we fill out a form online every week to make sure we notify the AFL and the doctors of what we're taking," he said.

"We do clarify and make sure we check and double-check.

"It is onerous at times, but that's what you've got to do as a professional athlete."

Deledio also said he was satisfied with the AFL's three-strike illicit drugs regime.

"It's a policy that's been put in place by the AFL and ASADA and it's something we all have to live by," he said.

"I haven't got a problem with it."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-03-31/check-and-doublecheck

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
Deledio also said he was satisfied with the AFL's three-strike illicit drugs regime.

Anyone that makes that claim is clearly a mercianary who takes his pay check and looks the other way.
Caracella and Balmey.