Author Topic: Cricket thread  (Read 166305 times)

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
Re: Cricket season
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2004, 01:28:46 AM »
Stuff cricket - it's boring when there's no competition.

Agree Moi, if there's to be no competition I hope the game folds. I'd rather that than see hacks like Damien Martyn stand in the limelight as if he's achieving something momentous.

froars

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2004, 09:53:12 AM »
I was at the "G when Deano told Curtley Ambrose to take off his sweat band - what a fiery match that was lol
The Windies were awesome then - competition and rivalry were just that.

When you take away "superstars" like Deano just so you can get all your NSW cricket mates into one team - you lose supporters like me.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2004, 10:16:58 AM by Moi »

Offline harry bosch

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2004, 04:28:32 PM »
Jones was a great one day player but at test level was a classic flat track bully making most of his runs
on freeways and against the weaker attacks.

Did stuff all against the Windies...A good test player still , but he was dropped at about the right time...

Anyway good to see us have another good series win...

Looking forward to the ashes now and hopefully a team that can give us some competition...

Offline The Undertaker

• Tiger Rookie
  • What we need 'round here is a little more respect
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2004, 05:38:05 PM »
I was at the "G when Deano told Curtley Ambrose to take off his sweat band - what a fiery match that was lol

When you take away "superstars" like Deano just so you can get all your NSW cricket mates into one team - you lose supporters like me.
Deano was one of a kind, perfect for the one day game. Him at no.3 and Bevo at around 6 were the best in the world in that form of the game.

As for the crack at NSW players the problem is in your own backyard. Since Deano retired the Vics have lost the plot. Harvey has some flair but is not top class. The rest are bland as batpoo.
Like the Deadman(Wrestlemania 13-0) the Richmond Tiger will again rise to the top of the jungle where he so rightfully belongs.

Offline bg25

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2004, 06:07:34 PM »

Deano was one of a kind, perfect for the one day game. Him at no.3 and Bevo at around 6 were the best in the world in that form of the game.

As for the crack at NSW players the problem is in your own backyard. Since Deano retired the Vics have lost the plot. Harvey has some flair but is not top class. The rest are bland as batpooh.

Still managed to win the Pura Cup last year! ;D

Offline The Undertaker

• Tiger Rookie
  • What we need 'round here is a little more respect
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2004, 06:49:15 PM »
Still managed to win the Pura Cup last year! ;D
Whats that? :sleep
Like the Deadman(Wrestlemania 13-0) the Richmond Tiger will again rise to the top of the jungle where he so rightfully belongs.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2004, 08:27:52 PM »
Jones was a great one day player but at test level was a classic flat track bully making most of his runs

Did stuff all against the Windies...A good test player still , but he was dropped at about the right time...

That's true to an extent, but let's not forget his heroic 210 in Madras, till this day considered one of the best if not the best innings of all time.

He also made a 216 against the Windies at Adeliaide. True the series result was already over, but it was a great innings nonetheless.

I think Dean Jones got dropped just at the time when he was ready to mature into a fine Test player.

At any rate, he got dropped at a time when Mark Waugh had made 4 consecutive ducks, and Mark Waugh never went on to do anything at Test level that would have been better than what Dean Jones could do (except slip fielding).

froars

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2004, 10:31:07 PM »
As for the crack at NSW players the problem is in your own backyard.
I would if i cared enough - haven't followed it for years!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2004, 12:42:51 AM »
The Aussies are simply too good for everyone else at Test cricket. Pakistan could have had the Aussies on the ropes a couple of times if they had one more world class fast bowler and batsman. The Aussies could fill two test sides whereas other countries struggle to fill one especially fast bowlers and opening batsman. We always have other countries 2 down for hardly any all the time which puts more pressure on their middle orders.

Australia's domination has been 20 years in the making with the set-up of the cricket academy pumping resources into our best young talent because we got a fright in the mid 80s when we were crap and lost woefully to everyone after Lillee, Marsh and Greg Chappell all retired at once and we had no one to replace them. Other countries are behind us both off-field as well as on-field.

The main thing that has hurt Windies cricket is the bright lights of the NBA attracting kids to basketball. Similarly in England over the past decade more kids want to be like Beckham and play soccer rather than be a Michael Atherton lol.

One-dayers thankfully are closer and at least competitive although the Aussies know how to turn it on in games that matter (world cup for example).
« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 01:16:08 AM by mightytiges »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2004, 01:48:03 AM »
At any rate, he got dropped at a time when Mark Waugh had made 4 consecutive ducks, and Mark Waugh never went on to do anything at Test level that would have been better than what Dean Jones could do (except slip fielding).

Deano was outspoken and upset officialdom. I'd reckon that had at least partly something to do with his axing. In hindsight he was outted as a number 3 when Boony moved down to first drop and Taylor opened with Geoff Marsh then Slater. Boony was a better test batsman than Deano and there was no other spot left for Deano.

We use to call Mark Waugh the kamakazi kid because he would normally get himself out going for a stupid (hook/pull) shot rather than the bowler dismissing him. Cricket's version of Bowden pre-2004  ;).
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2004, 02:32:28 AM »
lmfaoooo@Joel Waugh

I'd accept that Boon was a better test Batsman than Jones, but Jones didn't spend much time at number 3 in test cricket. He was on the whole a number 4 or 5 batter, and so should not have been in battle with Boon for his spot in the team. It was really Jones or S.Waugh that were vying for the 4th or 5th spot, with Border and Waugh pretty much holding down the other two batting spots.

Mark Waugh was really a talent, but he was soft as butter. In my opinion Waugh was kept in the team on potential more than results, and as you say MT, Jones was outspoken and it probably made it all that much easier to make the call.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 02:34:11 AM by JohnF »

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2005, 04:51:05 PM »
Speaking of Boony - did anyone see him on the news the other night talking about his walk from Melb to Hobart for leukaemia research.  I swear they showed Richo walking alongside with him.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2005, 07:52:30 PM »

Deano was OK against the Windies....

I remember being at the Adelaide Oval way back in either 85, 86 or maybe 87 when Deano took on the might of the west Indies and scored a ton - down the other end was one Merv Hughes who copped a battering from the West Indies - his massive girth covered in bruises. I think Merv made about 91 in that innings.

I also remember it was hot - damn hot! Coolest day of my three week stay was 34 degrees apart from the day I came home - it rained for the first time in about a month and dropped to 23 degrees.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2005, 07:55:33 PM »
Speaking of Boony - did anyone see him on the news the other night talking about his walk from Melb to Hobart for leukaemia research.  I swear they showed Richo walking alongside with him.

Your eyes were not decieving you Julz (they never do when it comes to Richo spotting I might add ;)) - Richo was due to walk with Bonnie for a couple of hours - not sure of the day but it was advertised he'd be doing it :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2005, 08:16:48 PM »
Richo was there at the start of the walk. 3rd day of the Test. Couldn't miss him, he was a foot taller than everyone else and had a big grin as he did the lap with all the others on the walk.
Big Merv was there as well.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott