Author Topic: Wallace's list management review of the Tigers  (Read 4694 times)

Ramps

Re: Wallace's list management review of the Tigers
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2010, 07:41:01 PM »
Melbourne will be screwed in a couple of years when Adelaide targets Trengove and Richmond, Carlton, Collingwood and Essendon target Scully.
Sometime in 2016 ...

"Back-to-back premiers Richmond have secured the services of Tom Scully who crosses to the Tigers as a free agent. I grew up barracking for the Tigers and it's great to finally be able to play for a big successful club like Richmond in front of a packed MCG crowd"

We can dream Ramps  :lol

I just dont believe that Melbourne will keep hold of the players. They have 0 chance of holding Trengove for the length of his career and Scully is at best a 30% to 40% chance. Both players will eventually leave Melbourne FC.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2010, 07:52:25 PM »
I would like to see Rance tried as a tagger before we fling him

he has been tried as a tagger already

I must have missed it. Hes been a disappointing player IMHO. I expected him to have done much better than what he has done and what he has shown so far.

agree  he has been a dissppointment

Gee he is an athlete though.  Got a cousins like body for fitness but yes a bit of a disappointment, may still come good. 

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2010, 08:14:14 PM »
As much as the Tiger faithful hates Plough, he was right about the recruiting during the late 90s and early 2000s. Our list was decimated with very few kids coming through. Thanks Beck, Geisch and Spud  ::). The problem though with Terry's response is although most of current side was recruited under his reign he failed to mention the flip-flop recruiting during his tenure where as a club we couldn't decide from year to year whether we were in full-on rebuild mode or gunning for finals and in the end did neither. It's one of the two main reasons why he is no longer our coach.
A newly arrived coach has to make the most of his honeymoon period to turnover the list while fans will still tolerate loses for the good of the cause in the long-term.

The way we're going, we wont have a pick till maybe pick 10 or 12 and probably miss out on both Atley and Gaff.
Agree Mikee. The stupidity of the draft system penalising bottom sides who win games in the back end of season even though they have no chance of finals. The GC hogging the draft makes this penalty even worse this year. Why I still believe we should aim for a bottom 3 finish.

Spot on. Plough did have a patchy recruiting record.  Particularly poor in his first two drafts, which killed his career at Richmond, if we had picked players of the likes of Buddy and Roughhead instead Plough might still be at the club.  One issue I have with the drafting during his era was the redrafting of duds using our bottom picks. 

In support of Plough I will note we didn't have much a drafting budget during his first two years either.  But was the drafting Plough or the recruiting dept or lack thereof we had.

He definitely had his flaws, recruiting, development coaching, general game plan but he also had his strengths, media, specific match day tactics.

I wonder if Hardwick is doing the wrong thing ala Plough, Mathew Knights and a whole host of coaches before him by using up his honeymoon period and creating a false dawn.  We aren't finals material yet and we definitely aren't premiership material so why try?  Draft instead.

Ramps

« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2010, 11:06:40 PM »
hes winning with kids, he cant tell them to lose and theres really no point in tanking now...its full steam ahead  :gotigers