Football > Richmond Rant

Cogs taming his chronic injury

(1/1)

mightytiges:
Young Tiger star taming his chronic injury
footygoss.com
The Sunday Times, WA.
Dec 27, 2004 - 17:01 PM

WA’s Mark Coughlan is focused on returning to the heights which saw him win Richmond’s fairest and best in 2003.

After a disappointing 2004 season where osteitis pubis restricted his ability to get on the park and perform he is working hard to get back to full fitness.

“I wouldn’t say I am back on the road quite yet,” Coughlan told the Sunday Times.

“It’s been a long time since I have started running but I am feeling pretty fit with my swimming and all the rehab I am doing.”

“I think I will only need a month of solid running before I get back to solid fitness,” he said.

Coughlan is currently on a pre-season diet of swimming, boxing, stretching, rowing, pilates and bike work in an effort to get over his niggling groin complaint.

His Tigers teammates and the coaching staff have praised the work ethic of the talented 22-year-old who has already been picked as a future leader of the club.

“If you are the captain or vice-captain of an AFL club, it means you are consistent for a good few years and I haven’t done that yet,” Coughlan said.

“So before you start talking about leadership and that sort of thing you need to have at least two or three good years under you’re belt. That is what I aim to do.”

http://www.footygoss.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=16462&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

mightytiges:
In one way I'm glad we're being over-cautious with Cogs to make sure his 100% over his groin complaint but on the other hand it's concerning that the real test to see whether he's over his O.P. such as hard running and quick changes of direction is still yet to come. Fingers crossed for the young champ. 

No surprise he gave a level-headed response to the captaincy question either.

WilliamPowell:
I too am happy (and relieved) that they appear to be thaking the overly cautious approach but is still makes me extremely mad that he played those last couple of games of 2004 - it was a waste, pointless and stupid  :banghead

mightytiges:

--- Quote from: WilliamPowell on December 28, 2004, 07:44:25 PM ---I too am happy (and relieved) that they appear to be thaking the overly cautious approach but is still makes me extremely mad that he played those last couple of games of 2004 - it was a waste, pointless and stupid  :banghead

--- End quote ---

Spot on WP. In fact Cogs playing at all last year was a waste, pointless and stupid  :banghead. All done in some in vain attempt to scrape a win to take the pressure off the then coaching staff and the Club  :banghead  :scream. He was in no condition to play footy and instead they gave us this piffle about him needing to play games to get better :banghead.

LondonTiger:
Well it was a disappointment Cogs played, but I think there were reasons he had to get out there.

These are my thoughts

1.  He stated at the beginning of June, he would be out running with Coburg end of June.  Must have been disappointing that he was still suffering from OP, even though trying to keep up his skills and fitness.

2.  After winning the B&F in 2003 and being the poster boy for the 2004 season, it was important to remind himself what be was achieving as an AFL footballer.  An indescretion with Ty Zantuck late one night, was probably the motivation that Cogs required to try and play out the last two games of the season.

3.  If a player thinks they are mentally and physically ready to play, then it places so much pressure on everyone to let him play. 

4.  It now means he plays his 50th game, Round 1 2005.  Bit like Richmonds version of unveiling the flag.  This is key for our fortunes this year.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version