Football > Richmond Rant

Footy Today or Yesteryear

(1/2) > >>

froars:
Do you enjoy your footy more these days or prefer the good old days.
I love the speed and skill levels of today, but I do miss the old good-natured brawls lol  :thumbsup
Not the behind the scenes punches a la Matthews on Bruns, but just letting lads do what comes naturally lol
The game today is too pure, and the rules and regulations IMO are killing the game  :banghead

cub:
Hard one Moi - But I would have to say yesteryear as in those days if Richmond had folded I probably would still have an interest in the then VFL, but these days could not give a rats about AFL if it wasn't for Richmond.

I have spoken about this before, and it is allways possible to have a distorted view going back to the past - but I absolutely loved my footy in the old days - travelling to all the different suburban grounds - in all types of weather.

I know some days were freezing and toilets and queues were something to forget but that was all part of the Charisma.

You dont hear many people these days saying oh remember that freezing day when it hailed out at whitten oval etc etc ..

Remember that ? day at Telstra dome (NOT)

I must admit the speed and skill is a highlight these days - maybe if we got rid of tv cameras at grounds and went back to the 1 umpire we might get a bit more of the old bays flavour but that aint gonna happen is it.

To end off I vividly remember the Saturday arvo's at the G watching the scoreboard and figuring out where everthing stood by 05:00 pm Saturday arvo. Ohh and the 5:10 express from Richmond to Canberwell to Box Hill to Ringwood. Home in a flash what ever happened to that train ?

Cheers and happy new year  :cheers

froars:
I could do without ever going to Victoria Park again, but i didn't mind "Princess" Park and the other suburban grounds.
I must admit in my old age lol i do like the comforts of the "G" and Telstra Dome, but i do remember the good times of getting early to games and getting my seat on the fence.  Don't miss the putrid dunnies at all lol.

starkravenmad2:
the old days for sure where u just hanged out for 2pm saturday to become tribal.Also belive the players had far more charcter .That 5.10express to ringwood always got u home in time for the replay as well.im guessing we shared a train or 2 CUB :thumbsup

mightytiges:
A toughy as nostalgia and childhood memories cloud reality but I would say there are some parts of yesteryear I miss but overall I wouldn't want to go back (although we use to win occasionally in them olden days  :help  ;D).

With all due respect to the players of the past the quality of the footy now in terms of speed, power and skill is far superior especially when compared to say 30 years ago. I thought the first 3 quarters of last year's GF was fantastic. In total awe of sides like Port and Brisbane. The only major thing lacking from most matches these days IMO are contests between individuals especially through the midfield. You seem to be only guaranteed them now in the last 2 or so weeks of the finals when the pressure limits time and space. It use to be a easier task to compare midfielders to one another when they played on each other and would have to beat their direct opponent one-on-one. Now you can have two opponents playing 50-100m off each other raking up 30+ possessions and both being classed as superstars based purely on their stats.

I do miss in some ways travelling every second week to the suburban grounds when everyone played on saturday arvos but as a kid at the time it was probably a bit of an adventure getting all dressed up in yellow and black and heading off to foreign territory such as Essendon, Glenferrie, West Footscray or Moorabbin stations. The trains and trams would be packed with footy supporters going to and coming from all the games. Better than coming home on a half empty train on a Saturday night from the Dome after playing Port Adelaide in front of 15,000 people :(. As I lived in Footscray when I was a kid I certainly don't miss trekking out all the way to Siberia.... oops I mean VFL Park. Glad when it was finally bulldozed lol.

I'd guess if we wanted to keep the suburban grounds and for them to be done up to 21st century standards we would have had to follow the lead of soccer and the EPL where say for Arsenal the cheapest season ticket costs around 700 pounds ($2000). At least "ground rationalisation" keeps going to the footy relatively cheap compared to other major sports and sporting events.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version