Football > Richmond Rant

Who will be captain?

(1/7) > >>

mightytiges:
Royal mentioned on SEN on the weekend that the choice of captain was out of the following 4 - Bowden, Brown, Johnson and Richo. Who should and/or will get it?

I'll still stick with Johnno as although he arguably isn't the superstar footballer of the four, he has shown over a number of years he is the most consistent quality performer out of all of them IMO.

froars:
I'll go for Bowden - winning the B&F last year and turning his form around hasn't hurt his chances.
Plus he's a pretty good communicator - his interviews on tellie are always good - and represents the club well.

Tiger Spirit:
Forget exactly where and when, but I think it might’ve been Greg Miller who was being interviewed at some stage late last year and he mentioned that we didn’t really have anyone who was the whole package, as far as a Captain goes.  I guess, meaning someone who was an on-field leader, who could inspire his teammates, can work well in the media and be a good communicator and have the necessary maturity to match the role.

Having someone like TW as coach, who works really well in the media, probably places less priority on the Captain needing to gain a high media profile, so the emphasis on Captain could probably be geared towards the on-field side of things, seeing as the media side is pretty much handled and our biggest weakness is on-field leadership anyway.

Because we don’t see what goes on behind the scenes, of the 4 mentioned, it’s hard to know who the players look up to and how they relate to their teammates and all the other areas that will decide who the Captain will be.

So all we have to go on is probably not much.  Whoever is chosen will obviously need to earn the role first and all of them could probably do the job justice.  Of the 4 though, the one with the most obvious potential to grow in the role is Bowden.  To me, he seems the most likely to get something different out of himself by being Captain, if he put his mind to it.

So I’ll go Bowden as well.

Piping Shrike:
With no standout candidate I'd be happy with Johnson or Bowden. Brown may also be captain material, but I think there could be a favouritism perception with a TW - Brown combination, however unfair that might be.

WilliamPowell:
I reckon it will be out of Johnson or Richo.

I reckon Richo is a big show.

Also, I heard on them say on 3AW on Saturday that Tezza is due to be on Sports Tonight this week - Dwayne Russell said it was probably going to be tonight. maybe tezza will shed some light on it

I'll keep an ear out for it  :thumbsup

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version