Author Topic: If you could add 3 Tigers of the past who would they be?  (Read 7488 times)

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: If you could add 3 Tigers of the past who would they be?
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2011, 04:35:44 PM »
I totally disagree with you Piper. Naish consistently played good football for the club not just in 1995. He was a good mark for his size. As for Strawbs saying he was worse than Esler is like saying Estaugh was a brilliant ruckman

the claw

« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2011, 08:06:25 PM »

and not a ruckman, they are all way to small to compete.

:cheers
Jack Dyer was too small to compete?

You must be kidding - there was no one bigger, or better, for any club.
jack was big for his times sheesh royce hart was only 187cm even brereton and dunstall were short compared to today both only 188cm i think.
look at it this way if jack was born in 1985 and played today he would probably be well over 190cm. for his time he was a damn good size.

the fact is it is amazing how much player heights have grown since about 1990as each generation goes by we are getting taller quicker and in a lot of cases bigger. daryl baldock was only 5ft 10in and played a lot of his footy for stkilda at chf.

Played at 185cm and 89 kg.

A legend but not for these times.

:thumbsup

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2011, 08:52:40 PM »

look at it this way if jack was born in 1985 and played today he would probably be well over 190cm. for his time he was a damn good size.

;D

Claw, please accept my comments in the manner in which they are intended.  At face value that is a funny comment but I fully get what you are saying and I agree!   :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2011, 10:07:46 PM »
Most of our great rucks of the past wouldn't make it as ruckmen nowdays:

Dyer     185cm    89kg
Wright  188cm  102kg
Morris   188cm   86kg
Bentley 183cm   87kg
Green    193cm  94kg

Mark Lee is probably the only one who is around modern day ruck height at 199cm and even then he is at the lower end these days.

As for KPPs Titus was as tall as Jake King  and Vic Thorp as tall as Axel  :o. Swift was 183cm so as big as Newy.

We still need more class and depth so imagine adding Stewart, KB & Rioli to Dusty, Cotch and co. in the midfield. Who needs a backline then!  ;D
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2011, 10:16:59 PM »
I totally disagree with you Piper. Naish consistently played good football for the club not just in 1995. He was a good mark for his size. As for Strawbs saying he was worse than Esler is like saying Estaugh was a brilliant ruckman

Mate seriously....Chris Naish was an average player full stop. He had ONE good season and that is just a fact.
 Good tiger man tho till we shipped him off to Port Adelaide seconds.

And yeh I was just kiddin about O'Dwyer.... Slater and Trewellin were streets ahead of him.
Tanking has put the club where it's at - Paul Roos

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2011, 11:46:48 PM »
I think Benny Gale was a good ruckman for us. He just seemed to get better and better. He would get a game ahead any of our ruckman right now. He always read the play so well dropping back in defence and pinch hitting up forward. 

Roach was a great full forward. As exciting as any forward ever. He would fly for everything and most times he brought the footy down with him. I was there in '79 game against the hawks when he took that monster mark and landed on his head. I had so many posters of him taking marks on my wall that I had no room left for anything else such was the amount of great marks he took.

KB was and is my alltime favorite player. I would love to see him playing again running rings around everyone, lifting his arms after he kicks a goal.

Richo must be looking at Dusty, Cotchin and Lids now and he must be asking "where were these guys and great delivery when I was up forward?". Without all the pressure on him to kick ALL the goals I doubt he would've missed as many.   
The club that keeps giving.