Football > Richmond Rant

Intra-club match - 9/2/05

(1/6) > >>

mightytiges:
Just got back and will give a quick summary before going into more detail later on as well as adding some pics.

Teams were split in probables (black) and possibles (white) with the blacks a far stronger side to the tune of 122 points  :o. The whites had a number of Coburg players which I didn't recongize. Terry said the Blacks were the "18" and the 24 for the Wiz cup would come from the whites.

Final Scores:

Blacks: 4.5 8.11 16.15  22.17-149
Whites:  2.3 3.3 3.8 3.9-27

Goal scores (I was up one end so may have confused one or two players):

Blacks: Richo 6.3 (from 2 and bit qtrs) + 1 OOF lol, Tambling 3.4, Simmonds 2.3, Roach 2.1, Schulz 2.0, Krakouer 2.2, Hyde 2.1, Tivs 1, Graham 1, Bowden 1.

Whites: Tuck 2, Gilmour 1.

Best:

Blacks: Hyde, Tivs, Simmonds, Richo, Krakouer, Johnson, Bowden, Deledio (absolute gun - skill ++++++), Rodan.
Whites: Gilmour (good games in a smashed side). Raines, Meyer and Tuck battled on.

Teams:

Blacks: Gas, Deledio, Simmonds, Roach, Bowden, Richo, Rodan, Jackson, Cogs, Schulz, Pattison, Krakouer, Johnson (c), Tambling, Hyde, Tivs, Graham, Newman, Kellaway + Coburg players McKinnon and Kurret (think he was No. 42).

Whites: Raines, Chaffey, Cambo, Stafford, Polo, Limbach, Tuck, Meyer, Gilmour, Hartigan, Archibald, McGuane, Moore + Coburgers Rix, Remmington, Nick Raines, May (No. 31) and Randello.   

Absent: Browny (slight niggle in the hamstring. Coached the Blacks while Terry looked on), Hilton, Hall, Pettifer, Knobel.

Brief Summary:

First quarter both sides went wide and I thought what's going on here. Blacks straightened up and dominated the corridor after quarter time. They could have been miles ahead at half time if they had kicked straight. Some pretty simple set shots missed. Whites fell down badly across HF and the game became a procession after half time.
Simmonds and Richo combined well swapping b/w HF and FF. Just too strong for Archibald and Rix although the ball came down their way frequently.
Tambling played FF after half time with Simmonds just in front of him leading to leave Tambo one out against Polo. Only pick on Tambling is he was a bit lazy with some of his kicks and he needs to take a few more steps and kick through the ball when having shots at goal. Terry said Tambling was a bit rigid and conservative today. He would normally have run around when on an angle. Apart from that very good at this role with a lovely volley goal in the 3rd quarter. Also ran down Hartigan (who looked a bit out of sorts today) once and almost got him again.
Deledio and Tivs set up attacks nicely off HB. Deledio didn't miss one single target and he would hit teammates so precisely they didn't have to break stride.
Hyde blitzed especially after half time. Looked to me like he has gained some pace. Took guys on a couple of times and ran away from them.
Krakouer had a top game with very clean hands in the midfield. I think he copped a knock to the calf but should be right for the Wiz Cup.
Wallace very happy when interviewed after the game. I'd reckon the way Richo and Simmonds worked together along with a small in a very open forward line lit up his eyes.
Cogs played a quarter and Terry said he would be adding basically an extra quarter per week.
Stafford played first half
Richo played 2 and a bit quarters bagging 6.

That's it for now.

JohnF:
Thanks for the report MT.

Can you tell us a little about how Gaspar went (did the ball even go near him? lol), and also some others like Newman, Raines, Meyer, Gilmour.

Were all the boys trying or was it a bit half hearted?

mightytiges:

--- Quote from: JohnF on February 09, 2005, 04:54:53 PM ---Thanks for the report MT.

Can you tell us a little about how Gaspar went (did the ball even go near him? lol), and also some others like Newman, Raines, Meyer, Gilmour.

Were all the boys trying or was it a bit half hearted?

--- End quote ---

Gas actually did well defending the few times the ball went forward for the whites. He even ran the length of the ground in the final quarter linking up with handball. Need to see him against better forwards before saying he's back or not. At the 3/4 time huddle the coaching staff seemed pleased with his efforts as he got a special mention.

Gilmour or as he's called "Gilly" played very well for the whites given they were getting pumped. Best by far IMHO. I would say he played more as outside midfielder but he seemed to do everything right today. Ran to offer an option, marked, kicked and handballed well. Hard to judge Raines and Meyer as it was one way traffic. They kept putting their body in but were overwhelmed by numbers. The blacks always had more numbers around every contest (which usually means they are running harder). Newman was solid. Played mainly in defence with a couple of stints in the middle and up forward.

I should say putting on my harsh hat that in the first half we (blacks) still missed too many targets (ball bouncing in front of teammate) compared to the standard we need to get to. Second half was much much better although it was one-sided so you'd expect that. Our entry in the forward line was very pleasing. We actually switched the play can you believe that  ;). Everyone dragged their oppenents to one side leaving room for Tamblng to easily lead into and mark.

With the game itself the boys were trying. I wouldn't say it was half-hearted. There were some nice hits in contests. Only thing I saw that was half-hearted was a bailed-out tackle that could have cleaned up one "white" player who was set up with a hospital pass.

All in all one side was just far too big, strong and well-machined for the other.   

JohnF:
Good news about Gilmour. Would be great if he can add another option in the midfield for us, if not this year then the next. We definitely need it.

Hopefully Gas can get back the speed he had becuase our backline looks more fragile than a haemophiliac. We need him to be at his best.

Great to hear Hyde appears to have added soe pace as well. Would help him no end if he is to assume tagging duties.

How did old man Campbell go? Still running on the spot and holding up play? Was he playing in the forward line?

mightytiges:

--- Quote from: JohnF on February 09, 2005, 05:28:00 PM ---How did old man Campbell go? Still running on the spot and holding up play? Was he playing in the forward line?

--- End quote ---

Um... ;D. Did you ever watch the Goodies where in one epsiode they went to Wales to play for the Druids in the rugby comp b/w different Christian faiths? Anyway the Pope played for the Catholics and he would be in one of those chairs where he would be given the ball and 6 blokes would carry him in it from one end to the other to score without an opponent being able to tackle him. That comes to mind as an option when I think of Cambo in 2005 lol.

In all seriousness he played for the whites and only got the footy now and then and was hardly sighted. I didn't notice him up forward for them at any stage. Chaffey was also hardly seen after quarter time. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version