Football > Richmond Rant

Rotating captain vs long-term captain

(1/2) > >>

mightytiges:
What do you think of the Saints or any club for that matter changing their captain every year?

I hope we don't go down that path. IMO it totally devalues the position of captain when you think of all the great Tiger captains - Dyer, Hart, Weightman, etc... we've had in the past. Imagine taking the captaincy off these champions  ???. 

JohnF:
I agree that it devalues the position of captaincy but I have no problem wiht it when there isn't an outstanding candidate for the job at the club. For instance in our situation there really isn't a standout player and if anything placing one of them as a long term captain will have the same effect: devaluing the position of captaincy.

Rodgerramjet:
Depends really on the Culture of the Club and whether or not the team is winning. I think it's working ok for the Saints only because they are doing well. If they were on the bottom of the ladder i'm sure their rotation policy would be very heavily attacked as being un workable and a silly thing to be doing. Thomas is going down this path because he is trying to increase the level of leadership and responsibility individually into his players, it has some merit, but obviously there are other ways to do the same thing it just happens that this is the way Thomas has chosen to do it.

It's attacked by others mainly because it is a diferrent way to do it and we as a people are very loath to change traditions and customs. I don't ascribe to the notion that it demeans the status of a captain at all, rather it gives the opportunity for a player to experiance the responsibility of leadership and all that entails such responsibility. It will be a growth experiance for these players.

As far as our club is concerned this type of process would be inadequate, our players would not be up to it or ready for it at present. Maybe in a couple of years a concept such as the saint's might be a viable proposition at Richmond but at this stage there is still to much growth to be had by our list for it to be effective for us.

Ox:

--- Quote from: JohnF on February 12, 2005, 08:02:22 PM ---I agree that it devalues the position of captaincy but I have no problem wiht it when there isn't an outstanding candidate for the job at the club. For instance in our situation there really isn't a standout player and if anything placing one of them as a long term captain will have the same effect: devaluing the position of captaincy.

--- End quote ---

Yeaaah baby. :thumbsup

WilliamPowell:
Granted (like Rodger said) it appears successful at St Kilda because they are winning and I have no doubt that if they were not winning it would be viewed differently. However, I will never understand or like the concept - I agree with MT it devalues the position and following a club that has had some legendary figures as captain perhaps I place a greater importance on the job.

But back to the only example we have in St Kilda. The Saints first captain under this policy was Hamill and quite frankly he was very good and I think he deserved to remain captain. I get the feeling that now Reiwoldt is captain that in 2006 the rotating captain policy at St Kilda will cease.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version