Author Topic: Tigers vs Demons game thread  (Read 13892 times)

gerkin greg

Re: Tigers vs Demons game thread
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2011, 10:34:16 AM »
I want to win just to make kids that barrack for melboure cry

"but everyone on bigfooty said if we tanked for draft picks we'd play finals, waaaaahhhh waaaaaahhhh waaaaaahhhhh i want to kiss my sister" :'(

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2011, 01:37:36 PM »
I still remember those Melbourne hags with horror on their withered and saggy faces on t.v in 1987 after the siren when Buckenara was lining up in the Prelim final and then the tears that flowed.
I want to see their grandkids those Stewarts, Davids Samanthas Megans Elizabeths Jane Lukes Emilys Daniels Stefans and Antons with those same looks on their faces on Saturday between quarter to five and five o'clock.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers feeling fresh: Hardwick (Sportal)
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2011, 04:37:05 PM »
Tigers feeling fresh
23/6/2011 3:36 PM
Angus Morgan
Sportal

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick doesn't expect the Tigers' recent gruelling travel schedule to have any bearing on their performance in Saturday's crucial clash with Melbourne at the MCG.
Hardwick said the ongoing refinement of the Tigers' game plan remains his priority rather than the more immediate goal of winning on Saturday which could elevate the club into the top eight.

"There's certain areas of our game that we need to concentrate on and get better so effectively it's a battle against ourselves to get those results," he said.

"Every game within the AFL at the moment is a big game ... but for our guys we've just got to keep going about the things we do well."

"Offensively we've got some issues, defensively we have also, we've just got to nail those and get those right and the result will take care of itself."

Full article at: http://www.sportal.com.au/afl-news-display/tigers-feeling-fresh-127429

Offline dizza

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2011, 05:50:26 PM »
I'll hopefully be there, but Metro can go and stick their track works.
Push up!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2011, 07:44:47 PM »
Tigers freshened after travel
By Adam McNicol
Thu 23 Jun, 2011

RICHMOND coach Damien Hardwick is confident a reduced training load has helped his players shake off any fatigue resulting from their recent travel burden.

The Tigers, who play Melbourne at the MCG on Saturday afternoon, have been to Darwin, Sydney and Brisbane in the past month.

The Sydney trip was particularly arduous as they had to return home by bus due to the volcanic ash cloud.

"They're ok," Hardwick said after being asked whether his players were tired.

"We have recovery sessions and all that sort of thing. We've only trained once this week.

"This time of year is generally pretty hard. It's cold, it's wet, it's miserable.

"We're probably like most other sides in that our training has gone down somewhat and we're just trying to survive for the remainder of the year.

"The injury lists are starting to grow and ours is no different."

If Essendon loses to Hawthorn at the MCG on Friday night, the clash between the Tigers and Demons will become a battle for a place in the top eight.

But Hardwick doesn't want to hear any talk of finals.

"Ninth and 10th, who would've thought it would be this big a game?" he said, with a wry chuckle, on Thursday afternoon.

"It's a big game when two Melbourne side come together. Obviously the week after we've got Carlton, so it's going to be another big game.

"When things start to go ok then our crowd and our supporters get out there and it's a terrific atmosphere.

"But for us, it's all about getting our process right."

Richmond moved level on points with eighth-placed Essendon by defeating the Brisbane Lions at the Gabba last weekend.

As a result, the Tigers are on the verge of entering the top eight for the first time since round two, 2008.

However, the excitement of the fans has not rubbed off on the coach, who has become a very disciplined press-conference performer.

"Every week there's four points up for grabs," Hardwick told the media at the ME Bank Centre. "Every game within the AFL at the moment is a big game.

"I know people will try and build it up to be something, and the crowd will probably be bigger than normal, but for our guys we've just got to keep going about the things we do well."

Melbourne's erratic form means it's hard for opposition clubs to predict how they'll play.

In the past month, the Demons have been trashed by Carlton, comfortably beaten Essendon, gone down to Collingwood by 88 points and defeated Fremantle by 15 goals.

"Watching them against Fremantle last week, their ability to move the ball and move the ball with relative ease and at pace was probably concerning for us," Hardwick said.

"We've got to manage to slow them down and curtail their forward line. Brad Green had an outstanding game last week and he's an outstanding leader.

"They've got a number of players who can jump up and hurt you. Their forward line of Jurrah, Sylvia, even Petterd, these types of players, they can kick three or four goals at the drop of a hat.

"The task is there for us to see how we manage that, but we're very much looking forward to it."

Richmond will take on Melbourne without rugged forward Jake King, who was suspended for striking Brisbane Lion Ash McGrath.

"We are disappointed [with the tribunal's decision], but Jake has got to stop putting himself in those situations," Hardwick said.

"Ash McGrath and Jake probably went at it a little bit together at the start, but the thing with Jake is that he's a fiery bloke by nature.

"He's usually pretty good in those situations, so we're disappointed. He's become a quality player for us and he's going to be a huge loss on the weekend.

"He's a guy that is able to kick goals, puts enormous defensive pressure on sides, and also gives off a couple as well."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/116937/default.aspx

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2011, 08:54:06 PM »
One thing I don't like about Hardwick is the lack of leadership he shows regarding blokes getting suspended.

Now fair enough, King was probably unlucky but he is just another in the string of suspensions we have had under Hardwick and most have been for dumb acts.

I'd like to see him take a harder line on it.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2011, 12:39:48 AM »
This game to me is dejavu of the Essendon game at Dreamtime.
Melbourne going in taller than us and using ruckmen in the fwd line to stretch us defensively.
One can hope the result will replicate from our last MCG home game.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2011, 01:40:13 AM »
I'll hopefully be there, but Metro can go and stick their track works.
I'll be there behind the Richmond goals somewhere with the other ferals  ;D.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Damien Hardwick is concerned the Tigers will have a let-down against Melbourne

Courtney Walsh
    June 24, 2011

RICHMOND sits on the verge of the eight, has just posted a rare interstate win and boasts a player apparently capable of matching arguably the league's greatest ever.

A membership tally in its reception sits just a couple of thousand shy of 50,000 members, construction around its new headquarters continues without pause, and tomorrow it is guaranteed a windfall given it hosts Melbourne in a match that could thrust the victor into the eight.

Exciting times, right? Maybe not, according to Richmond coach Damien Hardwick, who is clearly anxious about the possibility of a let-down against the Demons, let alone any mention of the dreaded f-word. The irony in his voice yesterday was apparent when addressing a question as to whether he would raise with his players the prize at stake tomorrow.

"Yeah, four points. It is amazing. Every week there is four points up for grabs," he said.

"Every week in the AFL is a big game. I know people will try and build it up to be something, (but) ninth and 10th, who would've thought, hey, it would be this big a game?

"It's a big game when two Melbourne sides come together. Obviously the week after we've got Carlton, so it's going to be another big game.

"When things start to go OK then our crowd and our supporters get out there and it's a terrific atmosphere. But for us, it's all about getting our process right and worrying about the result at the end of it."

The tempered talk comes despite the talent the Tigers boast. Dual best and fairest Brett Deledio is in career-best form at half-back. Trent Cotchin is relishing consistent match time, his skills coming to the fore through the middle and in attack. Then there is Dustin Martin, who received all manner of accolades this week after booting five goals to steer his side to a gritty interstate win over Brisbane.

It prompted former Kangaroo and Swans star Wayne Schwass to compare him with the great Leigh Matthews. Others have likened him to former Collingwood hardman Darren Millane and Kangaroos premiership player Sam Kekovich.

Even ex-Crow and Brownlow medallist Mark Ricciuto sees a little of himself in Martin, which is enough to give any opponent a quickened heart.

Not that the support crew has been shabby, either. Jack Riewoldt, after all, has a chance to regain the lead in his defence of his Coleman Medal given the absence through suspension of leader Lance Franklin.

Why, then, the reluctance to spruik Richmond's prospects tomorrow? In part it is because Richmond is still to establish itself and to produce consistent football.

Hardwick rated its past three efforts, against Port Adelaide in Darwin, the Swans in Sydney and the Lions in Brisbane, as poor, OK and a great experience given they "came away with the four points". There is, he said, considerable room for improvement.

"We are still trying to implement things that we have in place and we are still not doing it to the level we'd require to consistently win footy games and that is a big thing for us at the moment," he said.

"We have got a number of trends that we are trying to get onwards and upwards and a number of those we are still not meeting. We just concentrate . . . on the certain areas of our game that we need to get better, so effectively it is a battle against ourselves to get those results."

There is, too, an opponent with similarities. One need only look at the past three weeks to ascertain how inconsistent Melbourne is: a five-goal defeat of Essendon, a thumping from Collingwood, a thrashing of Fremantle. It is the latter match that most concerned Hardwick, who had fewer worries about talking up Richmond's opponent.

"Last week I went and watched them and they were terrific," he said. "They looked like a side that is well and truly entrenched in the eight, so it is going to be a big test for our guys this week.

"Melbourne, when they are up and going, I don't think there is a better side that spreads. They spread hard and they use the ball very, very well."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/damien-hardwick-is-concerned-the-tigers-will-have-a-let-down-against-melbourne/story-e6frg7mf-1226080875413

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2011, 12:23:17 PM »
RICHMOND sits on the verge of the eight, has just posted a rare interstate win

I thought our interstate record was ok recently ? Could be wrong but we've won in Perth and Adelaide in recent seasons and haven't lost in Brisbane for a few years now.
Tanking has put the club where it's at - Paul Roos

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2011, 01:25:32 PM »

I thought our interstate record was ok recently ? Could be wrong but we've won in Perth and Adelaide in recent seasons and haven't lost in Brisbane for a few years now.

Your on the money there Mr Black, pretty sure we won every interstate game we played last season??

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2011, 01:32:38 PM »

Your on the money there Mr Black, pretty sure we won every interstate game we played last season??

Great record in 2010 agaisnt interstate teams as they are the only ones we beat  ;D

However, I think you will find we only won 2 games interstate last season Port & Brisbane, got pounded by Syd, lost to Freo and lost against Adel
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2011, 01:45:15 PM »
However, I think you will find we only won 2 games interstate last season Port & Brisbane, got pounded by Syd, lost to Freo and lost against Adel
So that's a 37.5% success rate interstate over the past 2 years. Not too shabby considering where we finished in 2010.
Tanking has put the club where it's at - Paul Roos

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2011, 01:53:49 PM »
This game may be won up forward (as most of them are) with Garland nursing a sore ankle and Frawley having problems with his shoulders. 
Need Reiwoldt, Miller or Tyrone to have a big influence.  I'm tipping Brad Miller to have a huge game with 4 goals?

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2011, 04:29:11 PM »
Demons seem to have the wood on us lately.

Never forget the infamous "Jordie McMahon match" where a team deliberately trying to lose came so close to victory.

I would be more confident about tomorrow if Push up were playing.....we may miss the energy that the mongrel dog ( i mean that as a compliment) brings to the forward line.

Unleash the tornado