Author Topic: Naish didn't ask for Dusty or Grigg's number as he aims for 2018 debut (Age)  (Read 739 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Patrick Naish didn't ask for Dusty or Grigg's number as he aims for 2018 AFL debut

Anthony Colangelo
The Age
11 December 2017

Despite having a famous Richmond name, Tigers father-son recruit Patrick Naish wasn't about to start demanding he take the jersey numbers of premiership superstars during his first few weeks at the club.

Patrick's father Chris wore the No.6 jersey for Richmond between 1990 and 1997. He took the No.4 when he played for Port Adelaide in 1998 and 1999.

On Monday Richmond revealed Patrick would wear the No.45 jersey at Richmond, with the 18-year-old sheepishly saying he didn't even consider asking premiership stars Shaun Grigg (No.6) or Dustin Martin (No.4) for their numbers.

"Nah, I didn't ask 'Grigga', he's a premiership player so I gotta get a kick first I guess. And nah, I didn't [think to combine the numbers to wear No.46], No.45 is all right ... it's obviously unbelievable to finally wear the jumper I have wanted to wear my whole life."

While his approach to picking a jumper number was carefree, Naish has been more bullish about setting goals for the 2018 season.

"I feel like I can [play AFL in 2018]," he said. "Obviously I need to put on a little bit of size before I do that but I just want to have a crack this pre-season and put my best foot forward for whenever the opportunity comes.

"[I could play forward,] I can use my skills ... I also play a little bit on the wing so hopefully play those roles this year wherever that may be, AFL or VFL, i'd love to get the opportunity I guess."

Naish said his father's advice had been pretty simple: "He just said 'enjoy it, make my own path and enjoy it as it comes'. Obviously he played and he experienced it and just enjoy it and work hard and you'll reap the rewards in the future."

An outside midfielder who could play across half-back at times in the TAC Cup, Naish has also spent time training with Richmond during the past two pre-seasons. Part of that included following Brandon Ellis around Punt Road.

"He [Ellis] is still helping me with that half-back role," Naish said. "I have started to go more in the midfield so blokes like Josh Caddy have helped me and Grigga as well with my positioning at stoppages and stuff so they've ben unreal.

"It's a bit weird training with your idols you were growing up loving. I'm loving every minute of it, coming to my work now, I am enjoying it so much."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/i-gotta-get-a-kick-first-patrick-naish-didnt-ask-for-dusty-or-griggs-number-as-he-aims-for-2018-afl-debut-20171211-h02eps.html

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Imagine the uproar if Martin had to give Naish the 4......

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Or Dusty got no 46 in exchange.