Media articles and stats: Tigers run wild on Giants

<< < (3/3)

one-eyed:
Folau reported in Giants loss
David Polkinghorne
The Age
March 18, 2012

RICHMOND 3.9 7.11 13.17 20.20 (140)
GWS          0.1  4.3    6.4     10.6 (66)

GOALS - Richmond: Riewoldt 6, Deledio 4, A Maric 2, Nahas 2, Vickery, Foley, Jackson, Edwards, Miller, Grigg. GWS: Smith 3, Giles 2, Wilson 2, Cameron, Hoskin-Elliott, Greene.

BEST -
Richmond: Deledio, Cotchin, Houli, Foley, Riewoldt.
GWS: Ward, Hoskin-Elliot, Giles, McDonald.

INJURIES - GWS: Hoskin-Elliot (hand), Scully (cheekbone).

REPORTS - Folau (GWS) reported for rough conduct on Jackson and rough conduct on Deledio.

CROWD - 4222 at Manuka Oval.

CODE jumper Israel Folau is in doubt for Greater Western Sydney's historic debut against cross-town rival Sydney after he was reported twice in the Giants' 74-point loss to Richmond in the final NAB Challenge yesterday at Manuka Oval in Canberra.

And high-profile recruit Tom Scully will have a scan on his cheek after a head clash with Folau in the 20.20 (140) to 10.6 (66) loss.

A frustrated Folau - who finished with just five kicks and four hitouts - caught the eye of the umpires for two separate incidents of rough conduct in the second and third quarters. He had his number taken by umpire Mathew Nicholls when he slung Daniel Jackson to the ground a few metres off the ball in the second term, and then Michael Jennings put the former international rugby league player in the book for a clash with Brett Deledio in the third.

Folau was moved into the ruck after he clashed with Jackson and he slowly worked his way into the game, drawing praise from coach Kevin Sheedy.

''He actually played well in the ruck after that, we were really pleased with his ruck play. So I said, if things aren't happening for you get in the ruck and really give us [something] and he really did, he got some really terrific tapouts,'' Sheedy said.

While Folau never really fired, the same can't be said for Deledio. The Richmond midfielder booted four goals and racked up 33 touches in a best-on-ground display.

In his first game of the pre-season after suffering hamstring tightness, Deledio was involved in everything, running through the midfield and popping up in the forward line.

It would've left the yellow-and-black army salivating about the prospects of him spending a full season in the middle.

Tigers coach Damien Hardwick mostly used Deledio off the half-back flank last year but he'll move into the middle with Trent Cotchin (25 possessions) and young gun Dustin Martin (21).

While the scoreboard suggests a one-sided encounter, Giants fans will take some hope out of the second term when they matched Richmond with 4.2 apiece.

''We broke even in the second quarter and I thought that was important for us. In the end we just gave them too many goals, and took goals off ourselves through play that we've got to learn from,'' Sheedy said.

The Tigers' first real test is against Carlton at the MCG on March 29, while the Giants have the Swans at ANZ Stadium in the season opener this Saturday.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/folau-reported-in-giants-loss-20120317-1vccq.html#ixzz1pORdICOD

Muscles:

--- Quote from: tony_montana on March 17, 2012, 06:32:41 PM ---I know we had the ball heaps but combined tackle count for both sides was very low.. for those that were there, was this game high enough intensity to warrant a good hit out? or was it a rubbish low contact intra club type intensity?

--- End quote ---

Low intensity TM.  Carlton has hit us hard and played very tight when they have played us in the past. It has surprised us. I didn't think the Cats game last week or the Giants game were the ideal preparation for a blitz from the blues.  Let's hope they're off a bit.  Our structures and skills were good.  I don't think they've been tested under pressure yet.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version