Author Topic: Travis Cloke is Overated...Tigers will hit paydirt in 2005  (Read 3623 times)

PuntRdRoar

Everyones getting all hot and bothered about where travis cloke will end up...travis it seems is a reasonable player...but ive spoken to 3 people over the past few weeks who have seen him play...and lets just say...if we dont get him...we shouldnt be losing any sleep. A bigger loss for Richmond is that we cant get Sam Robertson coz hes dad only played 55 games. At the end of next season...Kym Monteath will join us- thats when we'll hit paydirt. Let me tell you...the kids got a shoulder injury but people have said to me he is the real deal...a key forward who will slot nicely into our forward line with some decent capacity to run as well. So for me...i dont care if we dont get Cloke...we're better off finishing on the bottom...and having the option to take either...Deledio (189cm) gun midfielder Lance Franklin (194cm) key position or maybe Jarryd Roughead at (194cm) also. As for Ruckmen theres afew in the next draft...and if we manage to find some balls and trade a player or 2 and get another pick in the top 10...we may pick up someone like Fabian De Luca...who is a much better ruck option than cloke!

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
Re: Travis Cloke is Overated...Tigers will hit paydirt in 2005
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2004, 09:12:49 PM »
Travis is one of the younger U/18 players at 16 and still eligible to play at Eastern Ranges next year.
Not sure when your sources saw him play because I think he's something special. Not many kids his age kick the ball 60 metres consistently and often kick the bulk of their team's score at that elite age level. That he has so much more potential development puts him in the awesome category in my eyes. He is a big KPP rather than a ruckman.
Cloke this year and Monteath next year would be double paydirt.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline Puntroadroar

• Premiership Captain
  • Our Very own Top Gun
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2004, 01:29:59 AM »
TigersRoar,

I agree with you, all the talk about Travis I'm still a critic, but I am more excited about Monteath, and the best thing regarding Monteath is that this WA boy bleeds Yellow and Back and wants to follow in his dads footsteps. Cant wait in a few seasons when we have 2 class WA boy dominating our midfield (cogs being the other one ofcourse).

I have always thought for awhile that you need atleast 6 decent onballers to be able to match it in the top 4 and you only have to look at those teams at the top for the past few seasons to realise this point.
There's no I in team, but there is 5 i's in Individual Brilliance.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2004, 08:31:56 AM »
David Cloke was on SEN this morning playing "Hypotheticals".

He said that under AFL rules because he (David) had played 2 years in Canberra that Travis was also eligible to be drafted by Sydney under the father son rule.

Also when asked (hypothetically of course  :P) who was ahead at this stage Richmond or Collingwood - Father David said Collingwood because the current events at Tigerland - the troubles on field, off field and at board level are a bit of a concern.

Personally I am at the stage that I don't care whether we get Travis Cloke or not - hypothetically speaking of course :-\ :P
 ;D ;D

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2004, 10:07:46 AM »
I'm a bit with you WP.  The more I hear David Cloke speak, the more he gives the impression that he's milking this for all its worth.  If Travis wants to come to Richmond well and good, if not, don't devote any more time on this than is necessary.

Especially when it looks like we could just be being used in this whole scenario.

Just concentrate on getting players to the Club who want to be here.

By the way, SEN did a bit of digging and it turns out that Travis is no longer eligible to be drafted under the father/son rule by Sydney, as that rule went out five years ago.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2004, 11:11:48 AM by Tiger Spirit »
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2004, 10:52:50 AM »
By the way, SEN did a bit of digging and it turns out that Travis is no longer eligible to be drafted under the father/son rule by Sydney, as that rule went out five years ago.

Well it is a worry if Player Manager David Cloke isn't sure of the rules  :D

It seems to becme more apparent everytime David speaks that the plan is to play the Clubs off against on another for the best possible deal.

I would thought that the final decision shoud belong to Travis - not his father, mother or siblings.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2004, 11:27:11 AM »

Just to clarify that, the number of games necessary for the father/son rule to be applicable in this case was changed, not the father/son rule itself.  Which you would know anyway.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline Puntroadroar

• Premiership Captain
  • Our Very own Top Gun
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2004, 01:50:00 PM »
As i have said before and many others have said

We want people at Richmond who want to be at Richmond.

David is and has always been after the money, if Travis doesnt want to play for us then so be it. Something i learnt in the J Cloke / M Coughlan saga a few years ago and thats you just never know who else is out there.

so david if your using us to increase your sons worth then I hope Richmond expose you for the turncoat you really are.
There's no I in team, but there is 5 i's in Individual Brilliance.