Author Topic: Hardwick's media conference 6-4-23 / Tiges up for the challenge against big Dogs  (Read 777 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dimma's presser today:

WATCH: https://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/1300214/-there-are-some-really-good-learnings-for-us-hardwick

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tigers 'up for the challenge' against big Dogs as star duo return

By AAP
6 April 2023

RICHMOND will welcome back refreshed stars Dustin Martin and Jacob Hopper as its undermanned backline prepares for a tall task against the Western Bulldogs on Saturday.

But the Tigers will be patient with key defender Robbie Tarrant, who played half a VFL match on return from a hip injury last week, while Josh Gibcus (hamstring) is still another month away.

It leaves Dylan Grimes, Noah Balta and two-game defender Tylar Young to take on the Bulldogs' tall timber at the MCG on Saturday.

Jamarra Ugle-Hagan kicked a career-best five goals as the Dogs broke through for their first win of the season against Brisbane last week, while Aaron Naughton and Rory Lobb are imposing figures.

"They're challenging, aren't they, tall and athletic," Hardwick said.

"Ugle-Hagan was incredible last week, Rory Lobb's capable of winning the game off his own boot and then they've got a superstar in Aaron Naughton.

"It's going to be a good challenge for our boys but they've already come up against some really quality forwards this season, so we think they'll be up for the challenge."

The return of both Hopper (knee) and Martin (hamstring) will bolster the Tigers' midfield and forward line following their round-three defeat to Collingwood.

"A week off can do wonders, both mentally and physically, so we expect both those boys to come in and be firing for a really important game," Hardwick said.

Hardwick conceded in hindsight the Tigers had brought back Jayden Short too quickly from a calf injury for round one, with the dashing defender now set to miss a second straight match.

"Once you get close to the age of 30 they (calf muscles) start to get a little bit more delicate, so we do take the extra week because they can nag," Hardwick said.

"We've just got to make sure that such an important player - a best-and-fairest winner, All-Australian squad member - is right to go."

Richmond co-captain Toby Nankervis has been on light duties but Hardwick declared the ruckman fit for a battle with Bulldog Tim English.

"General anger, I think, would be the (issue)," Hardwick offered, with a laugh.

"I try not to ask him too many questions, Nank, but no, he's just a management issue.

"It's like that at various stages throughout the season and this is one of those, so we've just got to take it easy.

"He's so important to how we play, so we just need him for weekends and he'll do a limited amount of training."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/897295/tigers-up-for-the-challenge-against-big-dogs-as-star-duo-return

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Channel 7’s Jane Bunn burns Richmond coach Damien Hardwick with brilliant response

Ben Sutton
7news
7 April 2023

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick will think twice before publicly questioning Channel 7 weather presenter Jane Bunn’s forecast again.

Hardwick fronted the media on Thursday and was answering a question about the Tigers’ two-ruck strategy when he gave Bunn a cheeky drive-by.

Samson Ryan has played the past two games and offered valuable support to Toby Nankervis in the ruck, while also proving his worth up forward.

He kicked three goals against Adelaide in Round 2, but struggled last week against Collingwood in wet conditions before he was eventually subbed out.

“Samson we’re grooming more as a key forward, we really like what he brings in that area of the game,” Hardwick said on Friday.

“The conditions probably conspired against him ... Jane Bunn let us down with the weather prediction I thought, but no pressure Jane this week.

“But from our point of view we were forced to take him off because conditions didn’t suit.”

The cheeky sledge made it back to Bunn, who delivered the perfect response.

“If you don’t like playing in the rain, maybe you should come over to Marvel Stadium, it’s always lovely under that roof there,” Bunn said in a short video.

If you missed why Bunn’s response is so brilliant, it’s because Hardwick has previously expressed his hatred of the Docklands venue and his preference for all of Richmond’s home games to be at the MCG.

Following a game there in 2021 which was played before a tiny crowd (for Richmond) of under 20,000 fans, he told reporters that Tigers supporters don’t go to the stadium.

“The truth of the matter is, you can play Richmond games here (at Marvel Stadium), but they don’t come,” he said,

“It’s a pretty simple solution for mine. If you want big crowds, play our home games at the ‘G ... Mate, I hate coming here. I probably shouldn’t say that.

“The MCG has got soul, it’s got Richmond people there. Our people don’t come here. Plain and simple.”

There’s more bad news on the weather front with Bunn also offering Hardwick her forecast ahead of the Tigers’ clash with the Western Bulldogs at the MCG on Saturday.

“However, on Saturday there’s lots of showers passing through so it could be a bit wet at the MCG and then the real cold air arrives Sunday and Monday,” Bunn added.

Hardwick admitted defeat in the mini-feud by tweeting, “pick your battles. Jane wins”, along with a gif of Homer Simpson regressing into the bushes.

Richmond has started their season with one win, one loss and one draw.

They are currently sitting outside the top eight but, if they lose to the Bulldogs, they will slip further down the ladder in a year where they are expected to contend for the flag.

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/channel-7s-jane-bunn-burns-richmond-coach-damien-hardwick-with-brilliant-response-c-10275365

Online the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
I know a lot of posters here don't agree but i would have thought Ben Miller to play fwd with Lynchy and Samson Ryan as the third tall playing ruck with Nank. Ben then gives us cover against their talls if need be.It would also keep their tall defenders honest.

I get the feeling the last few weeks we have wanted to go with Jack Tom and Samson as a structure so why not with Samson,Tom and Ben

Broadsword

I know a lot of posters here don't agree but i would have thought Ben Miller to play fwd with Lynchy and Samson Ryan as the third tall playing ruck with Nank. Ben then gives us cover against their talls if need be.It would also keep their tall defenders honest.

I get the feeling the last few weeks we have wanted to go with Jack Tom and Samson as a structure so why not with Samson,Tom and Ben
Take a look at how he kicks for goal and you'll know why he's not a forward.

Sheesh talk about blinkers. Blind Freddy can see he kicks like a defender. FMD.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
Guess who Campaigned for Balta to be a key forward, yep , was lost for a year and is only getting his confidence back now