Author Topic: Hardwick says Riewoldt let his teammates down with criticism of gameplan (H-Sun)  (Read 1903 times)

Hellenic Tiger

Dimma you have let me down.
The mantra you rode in on in 2010 is now defunct and replaced with a dogma that is as aboninable as the last 32 years at Punt Rd.
It's easy to be a hard nut on the ground when there are 17 other blokes on the ground but when the truth comes out you are just a small boy playing against men.

Dimma you have failed. It took 97 games but here it is.
From ridiculous team selections to inability of game plans.
From pi$$ing down our backs and calling it water to all the other spin and crap.

Good on Jack for calling it how it is. Noone else is has the gonads to do so.

This club has failed me and every other member.
No more FTF for me and extra donations.
Just my membership and that's it.
Club has lied to me for the last time.
Same spin same crap same results same failure.
The faces change the results don't.

The Skata Cycle. 32 years and counting. Plop Plop Plop.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Jack catching the train ...

VIDEO: http://www.afl.com.au/video?guid=646465

LOOSE-LIPPED Richmond forward Jack Riewoldt has gone to extraordinary lengths to escape a waiting media throng at Punt Road oval by jumping a construction fence at the club.

The dual Coleman medallist publicly criticised the team's game plan on Wednesday, saying it had tried, and failed, to replicate that of reigning premiers Hawthorn

The comments were met with disappointment from coach Damien Hardwick who said he had let the club down.

Several hours after training had finished, the 25-year-old scaled the fence surrounding Punt Road oval, jumped over and sprinted across Punt Road toward Richmond train station with several cameras and journalists in hot pursuit.

Instead of taking the direct route up Stewart Street, Riewoldt took the back streets to throw the media off the scent.

The Tiger even ducked down behind a parked car for a brief period of time, before walking briskly into Richmond station where he was forced to buy a Myki card to catch a train home.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-05-22/hardwick-whacks-riewoldt

dwaino

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
I'd say it's pretty obvious what Jack meant when he said our game plan's gone one way and the competition went the other. Richmond under Hardwick has always tried to play a positive, free flowing, high scoring style of game. Last year it worked pretty well, except against teams that were adept at bottling us up with extra numbers around the ball -like Fremantle and Nth. Melbourne. Unfortunately more clubs have started copying the Freo style this season (Melbourne with Paul Roos, the Bulldogs, Collingwood, whose more open style last year didn't yield their desired results.) So as he says the game is becoming more and more about constriction, and we are not coping well with it. Unfortunately the only way to beat these sides is to play ugly too and beat them at their own game. But we are just playing hapless and confused.

Perfectly summed up RR. Absolutely spot on.

Brilliant post.
Go Tigers!

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
Find these comments disturbing from our Coach.

"We caught up with him this morning and removed his foot from his mouth and my foot from his arse"

What sort of leader says that publically? We give Jack a whack for being honest and crictical of our game plan in the media yet our coach can give a childish whack to a player? Pathetic.
Go Tigers!

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Roos is copying Lyon who copied Roos.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
I'd say it's pretty obvious what Jack meant when he said our game plan's gone one way and the competition went the other. Richmond under Hardwick has always tried to play a positive, free flowing, high scoring style of game. Last year it worked pretty well, except against teams that were adept at bottling us up with extra numbers around the ball -like Fremantle and Nth. Melbourne. Unfortunately more clubs have started copying the Freo style this season (Melbourne with Paul Roos, the Bulldogs, Collingwood, whose more open style last year didn't yield their desired results.) So as he says the game is becoming more and more about constriction, and we are not coping well with it. Unfortunately the only way to beat these sides is to play ugly too and beat them at their own game. But we are just playing hapless and confused.

Perfectly summed up RR. Absolutely spot on.

Brilliant post.

Thanks Popelord. The funny thing is, after the Melbourne debacle I was sitting for ages with some depressed Tiger mates outside Silvio's in Bridge Rd. trying to work out what had gone so horribly wrong this year, and I posed this theory about us copying the Hawthorn style unsuccessfully, and how the game had become even more defensive this year. Then lo and behold, Jack comes out and says the same thing virtually word for word.
While we were sitting there Dawes and Jack Viney rock up in their car and pick up an armful of pizzas. Obviously somebody was off to a celebration that night. Then after I left, apparently a whole bunch of Tigers turned up at this new sports bar that's opened up opposite the Town Hall. When they were leaving, Deledio had to discourage Sean Grigg from taking a pee up the wall of the old abandoned police station across the road. True story. 

Offline jezza

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Dimma you have let me down.
The mantra you rode in on in 2010 is now defunct and replaced with a dogma that is as aboninable as the last 32 years at Punt Rd.
It's easy to be a hard nut on the ground when there are 17 other blokes on the ground but when the truth comes out you are just a small boy playing against men.

Dimma you have failed. It took 97 games but here it is.
From ridiculous team selections to inability of game plans.
From pi$$ing down our backs and calling it water to all the other spin and crap.

Good on Jack for calling it how it is. Noone else is has the gonads to do so.

Nicely said.

It's hard to sit here and accept such a hypocritical stance from the coach. The standard to which the football department is being managed at the moment is not acceptable. To see so much fuss about what Jack said whilst Troy Chaplin is still named in the squad for this week sums up what is important to the club.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Damien Barrett supporting Jack  :o

Richmond

IF .....  we hear one more journo bagging Jack Riewoldt for what he said on Wednesday...

THEN ... we might shake our head right off. The journo game needs Jack, and now it's lost him too. Fear there's no one left now.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-05-23/sliding-doors-round-ten

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
Why did he catch the train.

He could've just got into his car, smiled and drove off.

I'm confused.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
Because he is a massive flog.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
Grigg.....  ::)
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Brownlow Medallist Jason Akermanis says Jack Riewoldt broke a footballing cardinal sin

Jon Ralph
Herald-Sun
May 24, 2014

BROWNLOW Medallist Jason Akermanis says Jack Riewoldt broke one of football’s cardinal rules by criticising Damien Hardwick’s game plan.

Akermanis said he will always regret questioning Leigh Matthews’ game plan in Round 1, 2006, with the coach livid at his triple premiership star.

The troublesome Akermanis was sacked by the club mid-year, and believes that betrayal of trust was a key issue.

Matthews said this week Hardwick should not have gone public with his issues over Riewoldt, but also wishes he had been stronger with his own discipline of Akermanis.

“This situation with Jack is so similar to my own (with Matthews),’’ Akermanis said.

“The players are the entertainers and without them the game is literally nothing. But as far as looking back on what was a really silly move to talk publicly about Leigh’s game plan, it didn’t help our relationship at all.

“I questioned what we were doing with the game plan in Round 1, 2006 against Geelong and I was gone by July.

“It gives you an indication how quickly relationships can sour. If you want to talk about (the game plan), just do it one-on-one. Talk to the coach and say, “What do you think about this?”.

“As bad as the feedback is, it’s good as a coach to know what your players think too.”

Riewoldt again apologised for his comments about the game plan on Wednesday, saying he had “copped his right whack”.

“I’m just looking forward to playing footy again,’’ he said.

Richmond forward Jack Riewoldt has shied away from the media following the criticism he received from coach Damien Hardwick on Thursday.

Riewoldt has been selected by Richmond despite warnings about his place in the side, and apologised to the coaching staff on Thursday.

His future at the club is not believed to be shaky given he last year signed a lucrative contract extension through to the end of 2016.

Riewoldt sacrificed hundreds of thousands of dollars by passing up a Fremantle offer.

But with Richmond 2-6 and playing a GWS side approaching full strength there is massive pressure on the club to defeat the lowly Giants.

Akermanis said it was hard to be an individual in footy, with ex-Carlton footballer Brendan Fevola also questioning the restrictions on Riewoldt.

“History will prove I was correct in what I said about Leigh’s game plan but the way I did it is one thing I want to take back and redo,’’ Akermanis aid.

“Even my ghost writer said, “Are you sure?” And I said, “It will be right. It was a bad decision and reading Jack’s comments it did remind me of 2006 so much.”

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/brownlow-medallist-jason-akermanis-says-jack-riewoldt-broke-a-footballing-cardinal-sin/story-fndv8t7m-1226929161416