General > Forum Announcements and Feedback

Swear filter

(1/13) > >>

Stalin:
with respect, we should be allowed to use the word 's h i t' - we are mature people here

:-\

2015 ...

Smokey:
And on that topic, how does this filtering thing work Mods, because it seems that you can avoid it in many weird and wonderful ways so why have it at all?  Is it filtered by the site host or ISP, or is it just you guys deciding what to filter?

🏅Dooks:

--- Quote from: Stalin on September 19, 2015, 06:31:29 PM ---with respect, we should be allowed to use the word 's h i t' - we are mature people here

2015 ...

--- End quote ---

Nope. Sunday best and 1955

WilliamPowell:

--- Quote from: Smokey on September 19, 2015, 07:18:42 PM ---And on that topic, how does this filtering thing work Mods, because it seems that you can avoid it in many weird and wonderful ways so why have it at all?  Is it filtered by the site host or ISP, or is it just you guys deciding what to filter?

--- End quote ---

Short answer is both

There are certain things that our site host filter, spam in particular

And yes we have swear filter as part of the forum software. Which we set up. As part of that process when a word Is added we have to include a replacement word.

Why have it? Number of reasons. Here's a couple

Firstly, facts are there are people on here that who seem to be unable to post anything without swearing, especially the F Bomb. Then there are those who get abusive towards others. The filter believe it or not takes out some of the heat of the abuse, granted probably not enough but it does help especially when we can't be on the site 24/7

Then there is the issue of kids having access to this site. We have a responsibility on that front as well. I am sure there will be people who will scoff at that but it is none the less an issue we have to deal with.

Again facts are we have lost a number of people posting on this site because of the swearing and abuse.

I know some on here will say big deal but the number of female posters who have stopped posting over the last few years has been a concern. The intended or not derogatory/disparaging/sexist comments about women posted by some on here are highly offensive. At least the swear filter tones it down a bit. Not enough but a bit

Perhaps we need to start being stricter with imposing suspensions with those who to try to avoid swear filter, like we have done with the "C" word?

While I appreciate what offends one person doesn't always offend another we have a responsilbity to make this forum a place where everyone feels welcome. It is certainly what we want to achieve. We also need to try and get some sort of balance, the swear filter despite its obvious flaws does help with that. As we've said many times we can't be on here 24/7 so again the swear filter does help in that area as well

--- Quote from: Stalin on September 19, 2015, 06:31:29 PM ---with respect, we should be allowed to use the word 's h i t' - we are mature people here

2015 ...

--- End quote ---

With respect, in light of what has gone on today between a number of posters, which can only be described as absolute childish CRAP, i would say that your comment that "we are mature people here" is wrong.

Today's "efforts" by a number of posters were anything but mature.  :banghead

Yeahright:

--- Quote from: WilliamPowell on September 19, 2015, 09:27:00 PM --- like we have done with the "C" word?

--- End quote ---

This isn't directed at only you, but for everyone it encompasses. But I don't understand the logic of some words carrying more offence than others. Words are just words

--- Quote from: WilliamPowell on September 19, 2015, 09:27:00 PM ---

--- End quote ---

which can only be described as absolute childish CRAP,

--- End quote ---

This is just an example of what I mean. Both words mean the same thing yet one is accepted?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version