General > General Discussion

Controversial topic #2 - Flag debate

(1/13) > >>

mightytiges:
Just prior to Christmas, the Kiwis voted on a new flag design (see left one) which will go up against their current flag (on the right) in a referendum held in March, 2016.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11559764&ref=NZH_Tw

Whether it gets up or not, good on those over there, including their conservative PM, for wanting a uniquely identifiable NZ flag rather than the old colonial/dominion one dominated by a foreign country's flag in the canton. Imagine trying to have a similar flag debate here  :help.

🏅Dooks:
Good on them for having the courage.

It's probably insensitive to say this (well, I note this is titled 'controversial topic) but at the last referendum in 1999 re the Republic I said we'd need the majority of the pre-baby boomers to kick the bucket to tip the balance on these sorts of issues.

And compared to then I think we are a much more mature and confident country.

Penelope:
yeah it was all the old idiots responsible for the cronulla riots.

good luck getting this mob to consider changing the flag to anything else at all

Smokey:

--- Quote from: Dooks on December 26, 2015, 06:55:52 PM ---Good on them for having the courage.

It's probably insensitive to say this (well, I note this is titled 'controversial topic) but at the last referendum in 1999 re the Republic I said we'd need the majority of the pre-baby boomers to kick the bucket to tip the balance on these sorts of issues.

And compared to then I think we are a much more mature and confident country.

--- End quote ---

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I love the naivety of the young and starry-eyed.

And FWIW you will find strong support for a republic among the old and senile baby-boomers - we have far better memories of the deathly crimes committed against our best young people by the arrogant English warlords that used our parents and grandparents as cannon fodder than any of you young "mature and confident" worldly know-it-alls.

WilliamPowell:
Have to agree Smokey

Also, the referendum we had on becoming a republic was always doomed to fail, not because IMHO people didn't want to be a republic.

But because the model (option) was not what the majority wanted. It was a flawed model put forward by the then PM (a staunch monarchist) that was a an insult to the public.

If the model included the public having the right to elect the President, we would be a republic today, not a doubt in my mind.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version