Author Topic: Dion Prestia [merged]  (Read 270329 times)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Re: Dion Prestia [merged]
« Reply #1080 on: September 10, 2017, 01:03:48 PM »
Heh...so that's why we got him.....
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1081 on: September 13, 2017, 03:22:36 AM »
Why Dion Prestia chose to continue his career at Richmond

SAM LANDSBERGER,
Herald Sun
September 12, 2017 8:21pm

DION Prestia chose to continue his career at Richmond because of the club’s cool leadership as a rival ticket threatened to overthrow president Peggy O’Neal’s board.

Prestia, 24, met chief executive Brendon Gale and football boss Dan Richardson last year before the contested midfielder inked a five-year contract.

Prestia’s camp also completed an independent list analysis — which countered the popular belief that Richmond’s slide down the ladder would continue.

The former Gold Coast ball winner collected 31 disposals, five clearances and six tackles as Richmond won its first final in 16 years on Friday night.

After a turbulent 2016, the Tigers also struck deals for Josh Caddy (Geelong) and Toby Nankervis (Sydney) to help catapult the club into premiership mode.

“A lot of credit needs to go to Dan Richardson,” Prestia’s manager, Marty Pask, said.

“There was a lot of talk at the time, which was probably unhelpful for Richmond, with the board challenge.

“That challenge could’ve potentially prevented that player, or any player, going to a club.

“So full credit to Dan and Brendon Gale, who worked really hard to alleviate a lot of that concern.”

Pask and Prestia wanted to know which coaches and board members were likely to be appointed.

“I can remember being told quite categorically that everyone’s fine and they’d back their people. That was good enough for us, and that’s exactly what happened.”

Pask told Suns list manager Scott Clayton at about Round 12 last year that Prestia was a chance to return to Melbourne and then indicated at about Round 18 or 19 he was likely to elect Richmond.

Prestia’s season ended with a knee injury in Round 16, allowing him to return home and plot his future.

“We felt it was appropriate to the Gold Coast Suns that they were notified what Dion’s intentions were,” Pask said.

“That’s fair to them because they need to plan appropriately, and the last thing Dion wants is to leave Gold Coast in an uncomfortable decision.”

Prestia met with four clubs but decided his talents would be best harboured at Punt Rd.

The previous year, Richmond missed out on Adam Treloar because he believed Collingwood was closer to a flag.

“Alex Rance, 27, was contracted (until 2019), Trent Cotchin, 27, was contracted (until 2019), Jack Riewoldt, 28, was contracted (until 2018) and Dustin Martin (is now contracted until (2024),” Pask said.

“If he was going to sign a long-term deal with a footy club, he was going to be signing it with a core group of players that were going to be in similar time frames.

“It’s probably a three-year window where they’re going to be playing together, and that’s 70 per cent of his time in this (five-year) contract.”

Pask details Prestia’s journey as part of The Agents documentary, which screens on Fox Footy at 9pm tonight.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/why-dion-prestia-chose-to-continue-his-career-at-richmond/news-story/27205835c7254eefd94375908d6d32f6

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1082 on: September 23, 2017, 10:48:32 PM »
Last 8 weeks been awsome.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1083 on: September 24, 2017, 04:14:15 PM »
Nothing wrong with his game last night but I hope that becomes the standard of his average games. Contributed without being dangerous

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1084 on: September 27, 2017, 12:39:44 AM »
Dion Prestia says it took time getting used to Richmond style but now he knows his role

GLENN McFARLANE,
Herald Sun
September 27, 2017

RICHMOND midfielder Dion Prestia is prepared to sacrifice his own game to take a tagging role if required to help quell Adelaide’s damaging midfield in Saturday’s Grand Final.

Fresh from limiting Giant Josh Kelly’s impact in the second half last week, Prestia said he was ready for a similar role if coach Damien Hardwick issued him with a lockdown challenge.

“I’m happy to do what’s needed,” Prestia said. “I guess from the game against Brisbane (in Round 17) I was able to shutdown (Dayne) Zorko and I was able to start playing that role.”

Prestia has played on a number of “explosive midfielders” in the back end of the season, but in-and-under Crows Rory Sloane and Matt Crouch present different propositions for him.

“I did a little bit of it on the Gold Coast, more on explosive midfielders, like a Zorko type who can break lines, or a Kelly, who can do that, or Zach Merrett, who is a good user.

“Rory (Sloane) is hard in-and-under, and so is Matty Crouch, so I am not really sure which way we will go.”

The Tigers have only played the Crows once this year, in Round 6, when Adelaide won by 76 points. Prestia had a number of different opponents in that game, spending some time on Sloane, as well as Brad and Matt Crouch, but admits that won’t provide much insight into what will happen on Saturday.

“I could even do a similar thing to last week, seeing how the game goes, and I can go to someone if I need to,” he said. “They have got a very talented midfield and so do we.

“Round 6 is a totally different ball game. We play differently now.”

The 24-year-old can barely believe how his first year at Punt Rd has panned out, after seeking a trade from Gold Coast to be closer to his parents, and two sisters.

“I was always confident we would make the finals,” he said. “(But) to be honest, if you told me this time last year that we would be playing in a Grand Final, I probably would have laughed.”

Prestia shrugged off a slow start to the season, knee soreness and unfair external criticism to become one of the key reasons behind Richmond’s resurgence, working in tandem with Dustin Martin, Trent Cotchin and others in the midfield.

“I knew within myself I could play better,” he said. “I was always playing my role and still helping the team. But it was a different game plan to the one on the Gold Coast.

“It was always going to take a bit of time to learn the strengths of my teammates. The best thing I did was to get rid of all social media.”

“I saw some of the criticism, but it was all about how many possessions I was getting ... that’s not the thing that matters. If I can get 20 possessions, and we win, then I’m happy.”

Prestia said the chance to play in a Grand Final alongside Josh Caddy — whom he has known since he was 13 — was special, given their parallel football journeys.

“I was only talking to Josh about it the other day, and thinking 12 months, I was hopeful of coming to Richmond, and he wasn’t here, now we’re about to play in a Grand Final,” he said.

“It’s pretty crazy coming from (playing at the) Gold Coast to Richmond.

“It is a totally different environment when you are winning. Even when we lost those three games in a row, nothing changed, our reviews were all the same. That was our biggest learning experience. I am so pumped about the situation we are in right now.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/dion-prestia-says-it-took-time-getting-used-to-richmond-style-but-now-he-knows-his-role/news-story/2d2fe2a371219d7d66849075f74e8e61

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1085 on: October 01, 2017, 08:16:08 AM »
I was on and then off and then back on the meatballs train.

Thought the last two weeks he has been our best at half time.

We have been blessed with two recruits of the year in Nanks and meatballs

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #1086 on: October 01, 2017, 08:34:30 AM »
had a great game!
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #1087 on: October 01, 2017, 10:17:11 AM »
👏👏👏

Welcome to Tiger Land!
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1088 on: October 01, 2017, 10:39:30 AM »
Outstanding four quarter game.

dwaino

« Reply #1089 on: October 01, 2017, 11:03:09 AM »
Look forward to seeing him with a full preseason.

tony_montana

« Reply #1090 on: October 01, 2017, 12:17:52 PM »
last 8-10 weeks were great - massive in the finals

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #1091 on: October 01, 2017, 04:36:00 PM »
Can't wait til we play Colonwood again and Cotch can tussle Treloars hair, Dion can thank him for nominating Colonwood so he could slot in and win a granny bhahaha
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1092 on: October 01, 2017, 05:41:40 PM »
Only genuine knock was his disposal by foot, and for anyone that's been watching he appears to have been gaining more penetration in his kicking week by week.
Think, fingers crossed if free again from injury his preseason will be huge and can step up another gear.

Wouldn't mind if he called his mate at the Gold Coast who is uncontracted soon...
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1093 on: December 05, 2017, 12:12:54 PM »
Bellis is having a good year. Pea-heart or not. He would get a game at every club in the league.
Sorry Willy I don't agree with that.
For a start, no way would he get a game for Sydney, Adelaide or Hawthorn... ever!
Those clubs have coaches that don't put up with soft, poo footballers. And regardless of how many sideways kicks he gets, that wouldn't change that.

The sooner we get a coach that doesn't put up with the Griggs, the Houlis or the Bellis', the better our club will be.
All 3 are frauds imo.

I can have any other player on our list but those 3 are the pits.
Do you think Billy Hartung is a good hard footballer? If he played for Richmond, you'd be the first to put a line through him and group him with Bellis and Houli. 100% sure of that.
What crap!
Hartung isn't the most skillful footballer but he has a crack. Do you think he is soft?
Try just giving us your opinions and I'll give mine. You telling me what I would do makes you look  arrogant. (And I cleaned that up)
Not my opinion but that of every hawk supporter I know. They say he is fast and can run but is afraid of body contact and since they watch him all the time, I'll take their word over yours for it.  Sorry.
Good for you.
Maybe watch a game yourself and make up your own mind. Now there's a thought.
I do watch hawks games on TV and watch Hartung. They watch him live. Do you go and watch him live every week?

I doubt it.

That's why I back their view against yours. Maybe you're wrong. Can you admit that?
My brother barracks for the Hawks and my best mate played for them so yes I have a soft spot for them, and yes I do go and watch them sometimes. In fact Ive seen all 4 of their premierships live since 2008. So if there is any team other than Richmond I would know a bit about its Hawthorn.

Its hard having a conversation with you on a player from another club when your opinion isn't even your own.

Just on Hartung, I wonder why he was let go by the hawks

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #1094 on: December 05, 2017, 11:16:15 PM »
Because he’s both soft and poorly skilled. 

That didn’t fit with BT’s narrative though.