Author Topic: Tigers confident Griffiths can return despite concussion concerns (afl site)  (Read 2811 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers confident Griffiths can return despite concussion concerns

afl.com.au
25 June 2017

RICHMOND is confident forward Ben Griffiths can return this season, despite the uncertainty surrounding his recovery from concussion issues.

Griffiths has been sidelined indefinitely since late April after suffering his second head knock this season with an elbow to the head in the VFL.

The 25-year-old suffered his first concussion of the season in round two, with teammate Jack Riewoldt saying at the time Griffiths had suffered more than five head knocks through his career.

Richmond has been unclear on Griffiths' immediate playing future over the past month, but assistant coach Justin Leppitsch was hopeful the key forward would return this season.

"He's back training now and taking some sort of knocks, obviously not to the head but to the side and things like that," Leppitsch told Triple M.

"He's building his confidence in that area.

"It's obviously such an unknown isn't it, concussion and what happens inside the brain.

"So we're obviously very mindful of his health as well."

Griffiths and those around him have been treating the issue like a long-term injury, but there has been no suggestion of retirement from the contracted tall.

The Tigers have put his return to the game in the hands of medical experts, taking an ultra-conservative approach with his workload in training.

Leppitsch said the uncertainty around concussion meant it was impossible to guarantee a return for the No.26 pick in the 2011 NAB AFL Draft.

"I obviously had a situation with Justin Clarke last year when I was at Brisbane and it was a really sad time," Leppitsch said.

"To watch a boy at the age of 21 lose his career, that was a really hard thing to handle.

"We all hope that it doesn't [end Griffiths' career], but I don't think we can categorically say either. There's so much unknown with the injury."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-06-25/tigers-confident-griffiths-can-return-despite-concussion-concerns-

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
I know he goes missing at times but he is important for our structure and we miss him.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Just shows how bad our tall stocks are when we miss Griff so much..... :whistle
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
It shows up list mismanagement
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Retire Ben.  Footy ain't worth it. It's just a game

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
just an amazing, high earning, game
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
It's just a game

No it's not. Its a multi-million dollar business and for many it's their career and livelihood.

Ruanaidh

It's just a game

No it's not. Its a multi-million dollar business and for many it's their career and livelihood.
It's not worth Parkinson's or early onset dementia.....

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
If you've still got a brain then you can get another career. If your brain damaged it's pretty much for life.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Retire Ben.  Footy ain't worth it. It's just a game

:clapping

Yep for his long term health and well being, he should walk away
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers football manager Neil Balme said while there was no concrete timeline for his return, the club was hopeful there was some potentially good news around the corner for Griffiths.

He said the complex nature of the injury meant Richmond was deliberately tight-lipped about his condition.

Griffiths has suffered a string of concussions over the past four years and has not played seniors since suffering a head knock in Round 2.

He went down again after receiving an arm to the head in his first comeback game in the VFL a month later.

The club will be guided by expert medical opinion before clearing the Tigers’ centre half-forward for main training.

It means any potential comeback may wait until the back end of this season or even remain on hold until next year.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/richmond-confident-ben-griffiths-will-return-from-concussion-problems/news-story/e595a7fc2ec790c4f5699b502b211082

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
If you've still got a brain then you can get another career. If your brain damaged it's pretty much for life.
Exactly, you will end up like Ox or Claw or something
Lots of people name their swords......

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame

Online Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
If a concussion has sidelined you for three months and still counting, I'd say it's time to seriously reconsider your future....
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
Yeh, he's doing really good and progressing well...........

Your name is Benjamin Griffiths!

:rollin
The club that keeps giving.