Author Topic: Mervyn Keane on Open Mike: Richmond champion discusses family tragedy (Fox)  (Read 1453 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Open Mike, Merv Keane: Richmond champion discusses family tragedy

Ben Waterworth,
FOX SPORTS
18 April 2018

RICHMOND champion Mervyn Keane has stoically opened up on the trauma of losing his daughter and wife within the space of 25 days in a harrowing interview with Mike Sheahan.

Keane’s world was rocked on September 2 last year when his daughter Emily died from alcoholism before his wife Kaye was found dead in the family home in the week before the AFL Grand Final.

In a courageous interview on Fox Footy’s Open Mike, the three-time premiership star said the events of last year were “still pretty raw” and he wished the two great women in his life “had another 50 years together”.

Keane, Essendon’s senior recruiting manager, said Emily was an “outstanding” doctor at the Royal Women’s Hospital and a “fierce competitor” in everything in life before she fell sick during her early 30s.

“Prior to that she was healthy, happy, a hard worker — all that sort of stuff. (But) in those four or five years, Emily and our family went through hell at various stages and at various degrees,” Keane told Open Mike.

“Emily spent a lot of time crying trying to get better. I always made it my resolve that if something did happen to Emily, I would do everything in my power, as a father, to leave no stone unturned that I could help her if and when that day arrived.

“Emily had done enough crying, so I didn’t want to do anymore crying because she had done enough.”

After Emily’s passing, Kaye and Mervyn received a letter from the coroner. But Keane said the letter was “not quite written the way it should’ve been written”.

He said his late wife felt she had “let Emily down” and, in her “fragile” state, felt she was being investigated for her daughter’s death.

“I’ve written to the coroner expressing those views and I’m hoping we might be able to do something about letters that arrive in the mail in such circumstances,” Keane said.

Keane suggested to his wife to go to hospital, but believed she didn’t want to go as “I’m sure Kaye thought ‘we’ve used up the resources of the ambulances and hospitals so many times for Emily’ that she probably decided no I don’t want to do that”.

Just weeks later, Kaye took her own life.

“I was on my way home and (son) Joel, who wasn’t living at home, had gotten to Ivanhoe five minutes before me and unfortunately he found Kaye,” Keane said.

“I should’ve found Kaye, but I didn’t — Joel did.

“They were two great women and they would’ve had another 50 years between them together.”

Keane said he and his family were “still trying to cope” with the events six months on, but added that he had been overwhelmed by the support of his family and football community.

“We’re just taking it one day at a time, most of the time they’re good days. So much support that I’ve got, I never feel alone … it’s been terrific,” Keane said.

“But my main focus is to look after the boys and they’re committed to look after me, so we’re always looking out for each other.”

Despite the circumstances, Keane said he felt “very comfortable” talking about the events of last September, which had also helped him reconnect with a lot of people.

He said he couldn’t have asked for more support from Richmond, Essendon and Clifton Hill Primary School — the school where Kaye taught. He also said Hawthorn president — and former beyondblue chair — Jeff Kennett had offered to guide Keane and his sons through this difficult time.

Keane revealed he had plans to work with young doctors at the Royal Women’s Hospital — the same hospital where his daughter worked — and discuss their welfare as well as the pressures they would likely face in life.

He said he wanted to share his story in the hope of helping others.

“I think I’m sill trying to think it all the way through, but I’d definitely say talk,” Keane said.

“Seek advice and open up, because I find that’s certainly been the best therapy for me.”

If you need help in a crisis, call Lifeline on 13 11 14 or MensLine Australia on 1300 78 99 78,

For further information about depression, contact beyondblue on 1300 22 4636 or talk to your GP, local health professional or someone you trust.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/merv-keane-on-open-mike-richmond-champion-opens-up-on-traumatic-month/news-story/8488a47f3577569bb822874d4ffd4b8a

:(