Author Topic: Dustin Martin - 2017 Brownlow medallist [official]  (Read 18764 times)

Offline 1885

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Dustin Martin - 2017 Brownlow medallist [official]
« Reply #180 on: September 26, 2017, 12:22:57 PM »
There is just such a purity, an innocence in his demeanor his countenance. he reminds me of the character Boo Radley in the classic "To Kill A Mockingbird" so innocently dangerous.

:lol

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #181 on: September 26, 2017, 03:50:26 PM »
Club-by-club votes

1. Adelaide       88
1. Sydney        88
3. Port Adel.     84
4. GWS            81
5. Geelong        80
5. Richmond     80
7. Collingwood  72
8. Essendon      71
9. Melbourne     68
10. West Coast  63
11. Hawthorn    61
12. Fremantle    57
12. St Kilda       57
14. Carlton        53
15. W.Bulldogs   51
16. Brisbane      47
16. Gold Coast   47
18. North Melb.  40

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-09-26/club-by-club-your-best-brownlow-medal-pollers

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #182 on: September 26, 2017, 04:05:28 PM »
Martin could make history as the first AFL Brownlow winner to also take out the Norm Smith Medal in the same season. But Richmond coach Damien Hardwick says his star midfielder could not care less about being judged best afield in the grand final against Adelaide.

"There's only one medal he's interested in and that's a premiership medallion," Hardwick said. "He loves winning, this kid, just loves it."

It is that determination that has turned Martin into one of the AFL's top midfielders.

"He improved, again – it's been a privilege to coach him for, I think, eight seasons now and every season, he's improved a facet of his game," Hardwick said of Martin's year.

Hardwick said Martin has turned himself into a complete player, who can win the ball inside and outside, as well as go forward and kick goals.

"For a coach, he's an oustanding chess piece, like a queen - you can put in the midfield, put him up forward,  just wherever you need the game to be won," he said.

"That's the mark of a good player.

"What he's really brought to his game this year, his unselfishness has risen to a new level - his ability to make his teammates better."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/richmond-tigers/brownlow-medal-2017-its-done-and-dusted-20170925-gyokgc.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dusty can bend it like Beckham, says manager (afl site)
« Reply #183 on: September 26, 2017, 04:08:10 PM »
Dusty can bend it like Beckham, says manager

afl.com.au
26 September 2017

DUSTIN Martin's manager won't try to change the Brownlow medallist's introverted nature, believing his client's unique personality makes him a marketing commodity similar to a young David Beckham.

Ralph Carr, the manager responsible for recently pulling off the Richmond midfielder's multi-million dollar seven-year contract extension, says the 26-year-old presents as a "backable" brand.

There's fascination about Martin, given his reluctance to reveal too much of his personality and his blatant dislike of media attention.

It's this trait that Carr believes draws people and potential commercial agreements to the Tigers superstar, and something that will become stronger as his football career goes on.

"He's different," Carr said on Tuesday.

"Beckham was different when he first came into the scene and I think he'll be a backable brand now, and that is really warming to me.

"I think he's going to play better footy [now]. He's such a competitive athlete and he's competitive about his own performance and wanting to get better. I think we're going to see a lot of great football from Dusty.

"I think outside football, people will be surprised about what he's going to do."

Much of Martin's hesitancy and shyness about the media, Carr says, stems from previous incorrect reporting on things like the 2015 "chopstick" incident and suggestions earlier this year that he "stormed out" of a press conference after fielding questions about his future.

Carr said he would continue to let Martin "grow naturally" and evolve as a media performer, but praised the talented Tiger for how far he'd come in eight years in the AFL environment.

"Sometimes we expect too much from them when they're 18, 19 or 20," he said.

"He was a kid, and most of these players are kids.

"I think he just grew up. I think there were pivotal moments there where we spoke to him about having to grow up, and he reacted to all the advice.

"To his credit, he's the superstar and he's done everything required."

Martin's on-field toughness is well known, but it's his resilience away from the game that Carr believes will see him through Grand Final week without distraction.

He says it's the same mental strength that ensured Martin's career-best season while he dealt with his father Shane's deportation to New Zealand during his contract talks.

"As a manager, we've been doing this a long time, and there's an art in negotiation," Carr said.

"The big part of the art is the client having the mental toughness to go through it all, and he has, he's unique in that area."

Carr's relationship with Martin started six and a half years ago when the midfielder walked into RCM Management in Richmond and asked for a meeting.

Martin was interested in the company's services because they differed from regular player agent representation, given Carr's commercial background and experience with entertainment clients.

"We were set up as a sports agency then and managing a few players, but he came in and requested to meet with me, not the other boys, and when he met with me he said, 'I'll come over and sign with you, Ralph, but you have to manage me'," Carr said.

"I thought that was pretty clever at the time looking back, because he has my attention and I am personally representing him."

Carr said his company had declined "maybe 100 things" over the last three weeks – both financial and media opportunities – at Martin's request to allow his focus to remain on the Tigers' finals campaign.

He said his client was totally selfless when it came to this week's Grand Final. Martin went home as soon as his post-Brownlow commitments were done on Monday night, and was back at the club bright and early the following morning for training.

"It's all been about the Grand Final for him, we've been focused on that for a long time," he said.

"We're just trying to keep his routine the same so he can focus on his footy and win the ultimate prize. That's why we're here."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-09-26/dusty-can-bend-it-like-beckham-says-manager

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dusty back on track as 'noise' refuses to quieten (afl site)
« Reply #184 on: September 26, 2017, 04:33:37 PM »
Dusty back on track as 'noise' refuses to quieten

afl.com.au
26 September 2017

THE LEAGUE'S newest Brownlow medallist Dustin Martin has taken to the training track with his Richmond teammates, whom he credited for his explosive, award-winning season.

Less than 12 hours after Martin's historic Brownlow win, it was business as usual at Punt Road, with the Tigers going through their paces ahead of Saturday's Grand Final against Adelaide.

Martin said it was the collective performance of the team this season that was the catalyst for his remarkable personal year, which has been dubbed by legend Leigh Matthews as the most dominant in history.

"I think the improvement of all my teammates and the whole team has certainly helped me get better," he said.

"I just put it down to the rest of the guys chipping in, it makes it easier.

"They gave me a little bit of a clap in here earlier. I really do love these boys, and I'm just grateful to be at this footy club with such great people.

"It feels a little bit surreal, it's something I'm proud of, but I'm just concentrating on this week now and looking forward to that."

The introverted Martin was again reluctant to offer expansive answers at his pre-training press call, with interest in his unique personality growing stronger.

He said he felt the attention surrounding his drawn-out contract negotiations this season, which were resolved earlier this month, made him confident he would cope with the increased focus this week.

"I think I've dealt with it pretty well all year," he said.

"There's been a fair bit of noise all year and this week is going to be no different.

"I'll just get in here and do the job.

"Obviously I don't love it, but you've got to do these things.

"I've just got to cop it on the chin."

There were no extended celebrations for Martin on Monday night after his win, with the midfielder even declining a drink on stage to toast his victory.

The medal itself was left on his bedside table on Tuesday morning, although he admitted he would "probably" give it to his mum, Kathy.

Martin has spoken to his father Shane, who has been deported from Australia to his native New Zealand, and fielded calls from a range of friends and family since his win.

"I had a few missed calls from 'Swanny' (Dane Swan) about 5am," he said.

"I've had a lot of messages and support, which has been good.

"I gave Dad a ring straight away, he's super proud, he's over there with his wife and step-daughters, so I'll give them a call at some stage today."

With the Grand Final looming, the Tigers have no injury concerns, although Bachar Houli trained with his right calf strapped.

Martin said he "hadn't really thought about" the game, but expected nerves to creep in as the week progressed.

He described the Crows as having had "a super season", but said the Tigers wouldn't be intimidated by their national anthem 'Power Rangers' stance they have used to stare down their opponents in their previous two finals. 

"Once the ball is bounced, we'll worry about winning the footy," he said.

"That's the plan, so it won't bother us.

"When we made the top four, it was like, 'Why can't it be us?'

"We've worked extremely hard together and given ourselves the best opportunity."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-09-26/dusty-back-on-track-as-noise-refuses-to-quieten