Author Topic: Silver lining of Rance retirement: Flag squad remains + salary cap space (SEN)  (Read 2765 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
The silver lining of Rance retirement for Richmond fans

By Nic Negrepontis
SEN
19 December 2019

Former Richmond coach Terry Wallace has outlined the silver lining for Tigers fans following the retirement of Alex Rance.

Rance will not play in 2020 and has hung up the boots effective immediately, making the stunning announcement on Wednesday.

Wallace believes the five-time All-Australian exiting the salary cap will allow Richmond to keep their premiership squad together beyond 2020.

“One thing it will do is that it will guarantee that their premiership core won’t go anywhere,” he told SEN Mornings.

“There will be enough money to satisfy everyone. Brandon Ellis went (in the trade period), but you would have thought over the next 12 to 18 months that there would be a few that would be courted by other clubs.

“Well now they should have the finances to be able to deal with that now.

“Whether that means another big fish comes in at some stage, I would probably doubt that. I think it will ensure the premiership core stays together.”

Richmond has lost some depth over the last few years, including Brandon Ellis, Dan Butler, Anthony Miles, Sam Lloyd, Reece Conca, Corey Ellis and Tyson Stengle.

The likes of Bachar Houli, Jack Graham, Jayden Short, Josh Caddy and Toby Nankervis come out of contract for the Tigers in 2020.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/12/19/the-silver-lining-of-rance-retirement-for-richmond-fans/

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
No Silver lining, I'm gutted.
All the best to Rancey all the same, we were going to be real hard to beat with him back.
Now it's that little (and a bit on top) harder!

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Goes without saying that we'd all love to see him play again- was especially looking forward to seeing him & Balta in the backline together at some point- but you know we did just win-nay pee in- a flag without him...the only real concern for me is what effect him not being around the club will have on morale.... also, he'll be staying on the list so never say never...:shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
When does Sam Taylor come out of contract at GWS?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
When does Sam Taylor come out of contract at GWS?
End of 2022. So 3 more years.

https://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/243645/taylor-tied-up

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
Looking at next year's free agents - obviously Cameron is the pick of the crop but I doubt we'd go there and I doubt he'd come here, still reckon Mason Wood could offer something - love to get Atkins-  him & Corr would certainly strengthen our backline depth and Corr at least should be relatively cheap...not a big fan but the  club's already had two cracks at Crouch when he wasn't a FA so I can certainly see them having another one now that he is.... :shh

- Gustav Mahler

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
Looking at next year's free agents - obviously Cameron is the pick of the crop but I doubt we'd go there and I doubt he'd come here, still reckon Mason Wood could offer something - love to get Atkins-  him & Corr would certainly strengthen our backline depth and Corr at least should be relatively cheap...not a big fan but the  club's already had two cracks at Crouch when he wasn't a FA so I can certainly see them having another one now that he is.... :shh

Was confusing Atkins with Laird there. getting my Rory's mixed up again, as you do..(seriously how many clubs in professional world sport have no fewer than three stuffers named Rory on their books? stuffing inbreds.. :shh)  Yeah nah stuff Atkins... :shh :shh
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 02:29:06 PM by one-eyed »

- Gustav Mahler

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
Does us keeping him on the list give us the chance to trade him next year  :shh
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame

Yes  :shh
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia

Yes  :shh

Perfect fit for the Gold Coast, and their 1st rounder a perfect fit for us  :shh
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline yandb

• RFC Hall of Fame
Some posters here just don't understand Rance despite him playing for our club for 12 years.

He is a player of principle not a mercenary, unless something offends him about the Richmond club if he comes back to footy it will be to play for us.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
That’s assuming the club want him
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
Im certain the club wants him to resume hus career with. Preferrably from midpoint 2020

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
Rance won't be at another club. :shh