Author Topic: Benny Gale on SEN / Gale ready to roll up the sleeves to prove 2017 was no fluke  (Read 1142 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Benny Gale on SEN this morning:

AUDIO: https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode/?id=159476

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gale ready to roll up the sleeves

By John Takemura
SEN
7 November 2017

Richmond CEO Brendon Gale says motivation is high at club and on a personal to prove last year’s drought breaking premiership success was no fluke.

The Tigers won their first flag since 1980 after defeating Adelaide by 48 points in the Grand Final, however he told SEN Breakfast the club did not take long to move forward towards the 2018 cycle.

“The thing that really motivates me is that we won. It’s been 37 years, but I do detect a sense of surprise that this was done, and that it was a bolt from the blue,” Gale said.

“I’m really looking forward to rolling the sleeves and almost franking what we’ve done in 17.

“Obviously there’s no guarantees, but I’m really motivated by the challenge of another campaign and backing up.”

Gale confirmed coach Damien Hardwick was on a short holiday and will be returning to the club in the new year, similar to the routine he followed last year.

He praised the premiership mentor for the way he changed his style and became more open towards people at the club. “I think he’s been extraordinary,” Gale said.

“I think when he came back to work in January 2017, he had changed significantly, maintained that evenness and openness throughout the year.

“I think he’s having a break with the family now, the assistant coaches are running the team which won’t be a problem.

“He’ll come back in January and he’s a very driven man and he’s experienced. He’s been in a few successful environments and campaigns, and we are looking forward to him leading us again.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/12/06/gale-ready-to-roll-up-the-sleeves/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
More from Benny ...

“The cycles of footy, particularly post-season, move on pretty quickly,” Gale said.

“There’s a range of different set pieces that almost serve as lines in the sand. So there’s been a few of those.

“Clearly we had a week or two, where we could just reflect on the magnitude of what had been achieved by everyone.

“It was fantastic and there was so much good will. You can’t avoid getting caught up with it.

“But there’s the whole list-management piece that happens, then there’s the whole end-of-season financial reporting and audit, and the budget for next year.

“Those sorts of things are like timelines in your head . . .

“Then there’s the draft. And the draft, a couple of weeks ago, is very much, from a footy point of view, closing the book on ’17.

“So in my head I’ve moved on.

“The premiership’s in the past. I never tire of hearing of the joy and euphoria of our fans, but I’ve definitely moved on.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2017-12-07/gale-looking-forward

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
“The thing that really motivates me is that we won. It’s been 37 years, but I do detect a sense of surprise that this was done, and that it was a bolt from the blue,” Gale said.

“I’m really looking forward to rolling the sleeves and almost franking what we’ve done in 17.

“Obviously there’s no guarantees, but I’m really motivated by the challenge of another campaign and backing up.”
The bitterness and jealously from opposition supporters who still claim it was all a 'fluke' is hilarious but ironically their dismissive attitude arguably helped us this year and will help us again in 2018. They and the media were openly waiting for us to fall over leading up to and during each of the finals but that talk actually took the hype of expectation away. There was no pressure on us being expected to win the flag.   
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

tony_montana

The bitterness and jealously from opposition supporters who still claim it was all a 'fluke' is hilarious but ironically their dismissive attitude arguably helped us this year and will help us again in 2018. They and the media were openly waiting for us to fall over leading up to and during each of the finals but that talk actually took the hype of expectation away. There was no pressure on us being expected to win the flag.

Isnt it ironic the way its worked out?
 When we were bang average, whether by media design or just how it panned out, it seemed that we were expected to make finals, expected to win a final or two, expected to improve and with that expectation we'd invariably crash and burn. Now that we are legitimately a very good side we keep getting written off with zero expectation to do anything at all and Im loving the fact that after winning the flag we still have zero expectation being put on the club.