Author Topic: Why play Duncan Kellaway?  (Read 7151 times)

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
Re: Why play Duncan Kellaway?
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2004, 01:46:53 PM »

If it's not Tuck then I can't see who it can be.

We can't promote Foley (don't think so anyway) and Gilmour and Raines are not ready IMO.

We could promote Foley is they moved Archibald to the long term injury list - he aint gonna play this year or anytime soon

As for Raines and Gilmour - they couldn't do any worse than the likes of Chaffey (aka TGT) or Hilton.

I just want them to play the kids ;)

Archibald is already on the long term injury list - he made way for Moore.  Confirmed by Miller on Clubbed Corner.

Yeah - the golden turnip is a shocker.

I'd say Raines is more physically prepared at this stage for a call up than Gilmour.  Raines is improving with every game and he is not overwhelmed with the physical aspect of the game IMO.  As long as he keeps improving at this rate he could be something.  Gilmour looks like a boy playing against men.

Foley would stand out like a sore thumb if he was elevated and was given maximum game time.......no doubt about that.

As long as the kids get sufficient game time and are not rotting on the bench.  If Splud is gonna keep em on the bench then I'd rather they not get promoted.  Roach's extended stint on the bench has definately adversely affected his fitness and his development.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2004, 03:14:08 PM »
Roach's extended stint on the bench has definately adversely affected his fitness and his development.

What about Hartigan HH.  How do you think he’s going at the moment?  The first few weeks he was getting plenty of game time, but the last few he seems to have been on and off the bench quite a bit.  Can’t be doing him much good.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline wrennyboy

• Future Richmond star
  • Captain Coughlan
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2004, 03:16:42 PM »
Archibald is already on the long term injury list - he made way for Moore.  Confirmed by Miller on Clubbed Corner.

Hmmm if thats true then there still should be one spot left on the list.

Foley would stand out like a sore thumb if he was elevated and was given maximum game time.......no doubt about that.

You really think so?? I like this kid alot something about him but i havent watched him play just read all the good reports about him. What position do u guys think that he would play at RFC?? And i mean fair point about roach give game time not sit on the pine. Hartigan has played every game since round 11 and given a little bit of game time so i say put foley on the senior list and give him game time!!!!

wrenny

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2004, 03:39:50 PM »
Hmmm if thats true then there still should be one spot left on the list.

Exactly what I was thinking Wrenny.

We went 1 short on the list this season to give the chance to a rookie to be promoted if they deserved it.

I thought they must have used that spot for Moore last week.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2004, 03:56:33 PM »
Hartigan's an interesting one.  There is no doubt that he has done extremely well so far this season.  However the more games he plays the more he seems to be sitting on the bench which is detrimental for his development.  Whenever he has been on he has mostly had run-with roles.  I'm not a fan of this.  Sure it's good to teach a young kid some accountability, but he also needs the freedom to develop his attacking and his "creative" aspect of his game.  Danny Frawley has been very poor in terms of developing young kids.  Under Splud, a kid either a)sits on the bench (mostly), b) is bunkered in the forward line, and c) is given a run with role.  What's wrong with the wing ??  What;s wrong with saying to a kid - look - I'll give you 2 full quarters on the wing and I just want you to run and enjoy your footy" 

Kevin Sheedy does this all the time.  If you pay attention to Essendon, you will notice that Sheedy will always promote a kid and give him sufficient game time on the ground in an attacking, non-accountable role.  He will then demote him in a couple of weeks, regardless of how they played in order that they play some full games in the VFL.  If the kid keeps showing signs he will promote him again, give him an extended run for more games and then back to VFL.  If the kid keeps showing good signs his stay in the firsts is extended each time until he is a regular.  When giving a kid an opportunity he never lets them rot on the bench, never bunkers them in the forward pocket, and never gives them a run-with accountable role.

Just pay attention on how he is developing Bullen and Winderlich at the moment.

I would like to see Hartigan be given extended time on the ground in a free-er role - either on the wing or in the centre as a rover - ruck rover.  He appears to have the ability and smarts to develop into an on-baller IMO.  At the moment there is too much pressure on him as he gets limited game time and when he is on the ground he is given too accountable roles.

Wrennyboy - settle down mate.  Foley looks the goods but he's got a long way to go.  Foley has the potential to be a rover IMO.  He is built like one (low center of grvity), pretty quick (especially the first few yards), and most importantly appears to know how to read a pack situation.  He reminds me of Steven Milne.  What impresses me most is how, where and when he runs.  In a ball up or a throw in situation I like to watch where and how players move before the ruckmen touch the ball.  A true rover should always be moving and darting through or accross the pack situation before the ball is contested by the big guys.  A rover should always have momentum and never be flat footed when the ball falls into their hands.  This appears to be a natural instinct in Foleys game - as I like to say a "good habit".  Too many tigers are flat footed in pack situations.  Krakour and Brown are the only 2 that always "move" and hence why they are the most dangerous at ball ups near goal.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2004, 03:59:47 PM by Harry Hedgehog »
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2004, 05:37:02 PM »
Hartigan's an interesting one.  There is no doubt that he has done extremely well so far this season.  However the more games he plays the more he seems to be sitting on the bench which is detrimental for his development.

I thought I should be worried HH.  I was getting annoyed with the treatment Roachy got, but at least he’s gone back now to get some form and confidence and was afraid the same thing was happening with Hartigan.  Seeing as he has played every game so far, it’s probably a fair indication of his confidence levels, which is a good sign.  Shows a lot of spirit too.  I don’t know what’s more frustrating, watching us play or watching the young players sitting on the bench losing confidence.

No doubt about Sheeds HH.  Master of his trade.  I’ve thought for some time now that he could coach till he’s 80.  He’s developed a system down there that just keeps the players coming through.  And I also think he has set that Club up to keep generating success, whether he’s there or not.

Meanwhile, we struggle and the development of our talented young players becomes a test of a person’s patience.  Like you say, either give them a go or why play them at all.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Jackstar

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2004, 10:15:11 PM »
Please, if anyone from Richmond is reading this, enough is enough,today was a joke surely.
To have a player out there who cant kick is a disgrace.
Enough said.!

Bulluss

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2004, 10:53:09 PM »
Unfortunately his time as an AFL footballer is up, Duncs has been a great servant of the club over many years and put his body on the line for us time and time again. But surely he can be man enough to admit that he no longer has what it takes to be an AFL player.

Duncs, you are only harming yourself. Call it quits mate