Author Topic: Is Cotch in trouble with the MRP?  (Read 9546 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dylan Shiel 'happy' for Cotchin despite prelim KO (afl site)
« Reply #90 on: January 07, 2018, 10:22:53 PM »
Giant 'happy' for Cotchin despite prelim KO

afl.com.au
7 January 2018

GREATER Western Sydney star Dylan Shiel is "really happy" Richmond captain Trent Cotchin was free to play in last year's Grand Final.

Cotchin was involved in a controversial incident in the Tigers' preliminary final win over the Giants, when the skipper's first-quarter bump left Shiel – who had racked up seven possessions in the opening term – concussed and ruled out of the match at quarter-time.

The Tigers went on to win the game by 36 points to book a date with Adelaide in the decider.

If the Match Review Panel had charged Cotchin with any offense, he would have been suspended because of his bad record, but he was cleared of any wrongdoing and went on to lead Richmond to a famous flag.

Shiel told AFL.com.au the way his season finished was extremely disappointing, but he has no problem with Cotchin or the MRP's decision to not issue a ban.

"To go down early and have to watch my teammates go on and suffer the way they did, it was definitely hard," he said.

"But that’s footy and I don't hold anything against Trent for what happened.

"It probably warranted a free kick but that's it and doesn't matter now, it's done and dusted.

"People have asked me if I wanted to see him suspended and I tell them absolutely not.

"I'm actually really happy that he got to play on; he messaged me the next week to see if I was OK and I really respected that.

"We play a ruthless game and I think every player accepts that when they cross that white line anything can happen.

"I love the game we play and I don't want to see it changed from the exciting game our fans love to watch."

Shiel's view on the hit that took one of the Giants' biggest stars out of the game was at odds with that of his former assistant coach and father of his partner Georgie, Mark Williams, who made his position on the non-suspension well known.

Speaking on SEN radio after the MRP's ruling was announced two days after the match, Williams didn't hold back.

"He (Shiel) feels cheated. I’ve talked to him," he said at the time.

"Did he get concussed? Yes he did. Did he get concussed in the first collision with Cotchin? Yes he did. He could not see properly after that. There was an opportunity where he went for a mark but completely missed it

"He got hit in the head from Cotchin and he didn’t get a free kick. He got hit in the head again by David Astbury, didn’t get a free kick. What is going on?

"I feel for him, he has been completely cheated by the system."

Shiel had no issue with Williams' passionate response, and said his comments had no effect on him whatsoever.

"It's his job to be an outspoken figure in the AFL scene and he's entitled to say what he wants," he said.

"All I know is that Mark has my best interests at heart and he's been a fantastic mentor and father-figure for me.

"He supports me and has my back and support him 100 per cent in what he does."

The GWS gun also hurt his shoulder in the collision with Cotchin, aggravating an issue he'd carried for most of the year and had surgery to fix when the season ended.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-01-06/giant-happy-for-cotchin-after-prelim-ko

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
Re: Are Cotch and Ellis in trouble with the MRP?
« Reply #91 on: January 08, 2018, 11:11:34 AM »
Not according to the great "Chocco"
Sheil is obviously lying because "Chocco " is great and cant say or do anything wrong   :clapping :whistle

Shiel was 'cheated' by Cotchin non-citing

Nine Wide World of Sports
By AAP
26 September 2017

Dylan Shiel feels "cheated" by the AFL's judicial system after Richmond skipper Trent Cotchin dodged suspension for a high bump that concussed the Greater Western Sydney star.

Former Richmond assistant coach Mark Williams - whose daughter is dating Shiel - said there was no doubt the Cotchin incident was the cause, adding that the Tiger "100 per cent" deserved to be suspended.

"(Shiel) feels cheated. I've talked to him," Williams told SEN Radio on Monday.

You might also like

"Did he get concussed? Yes he did.

"Did he get concussed in the first collision with Cotchin? Yes he did.

"He could not see properly after that. There was an opportunity where he goes for a mark and completely misses it.

"I feel for him, he has been completely cheated by the system."

https://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/09/25/18/36/shiel-was-cheated-by-cotchin-non-citing

The club that keeps giving.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Dylan Shiel 'happy' for Cotchin despite prelim KO (afl site)
« Reply #92 on: January 08, 2018, 08:35:23 PM »
Giant 'happy' for Cotchin despite prelim KO

afl.com.au
7 January 2018

Shiel had no issue with Williams' passionate response, and said his comments had no effect on him whatsoever.

"It's his job to be an outspoken figure in the AFL scene and he's entitled to say what he wants," he said.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-01-06/giant-happy-for-cotchin-after-prelim-ko

Straight from the horse's mouth, although I don't really agree that Chocco is entitled to say what he wants.