Author Topic: Tom Lynch [merged]  (Read 407058 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Tom Lynch is a Tiger [official]
« Reply #1260 on: March 21, 2019, 05:37:27 AM »
Tom Lynch has 'a lot to learn', says Tigers champion

Greg Baum
The Age
21 March 2019

Boom Richmond recruit Tom Lynch’s development was stymied at Gold Coast, who failed to exploit his potential, says champion Tigers defender Alex Rance.

Rance also said Lynch and Jack Riewoldt on the Richmond forward line would be the equal of the Lance Franklin-Jarryd Roughead combination from Hawthorn’s halcyon days.

Tom Lynch's lack of polish shows up at training sometimes, says teammate Alex Rance.Credit:Justin McManus

Rance said what had surprised him about all-Australian Lynch since he arrived at Punt Road was how much he still had to learn.

‘‘Lynchy’s development [at Richmond] has shown to me the lack of development that Gold Coast had,’’ said Rance, speaking at the MCC’s footy season launch.

‘‘He’s a natural freak. Players like him and [David] Swallow and [Jaeger] O’Meara, who are just natural freaks; they were always going to shine through and be really good players.’’

But Rance imagined that there were players at Gold Coast who like him were not instant stars and are now out of the game. ‘‘[They] missed out on an opportunity because of development.

‘‘I think Gold Coast really missed the mark there. They didn’t put enough support, from a soft-cap perspective, around those players.’’

Rance said Lynch’s lack of polish still showed at training sometimes. ‘‘I even see some stuff now with Lynchy [and] I’m like, ‘Why are you doing that?’ ’’ he said.

‘‘It’s just because he’s such a freak athlete and a freak footballer that he gets through. But I think his next three years to five years will be something really special.’’

Rance said he envisaged only good for the way Lynch would work with Riewoldt, the Tigers’ star forward-in-residence. He said it was important to remember that Riewoldt’s best year, 2017, was not his most prolific, but it led to a Richmond premiership.

‘‘His selflessness and awareness reminds me a lot of the Franklin-Roughead combination,’’ he said. ‘‘Buddy was by far the more talented, but Roughy was the better architect.

‘‘Roughy could see where the space was going to be and naturally draw his player away. I think Jack can be that for Lynchy. He can give Lynchy a one-on-one with a smaller match-up.

‘‘Jack’s a very, very smart footballer, has a very good footy brain, and is very very selfless now That’s a very dangerous combo, and I’m really excited.’’

After a limited pre-season, Lynch has been picked to make his Richmond debut in tonight’s season-opener against Carlton before an expected crowd near to 90,000.

Rance said it might take him a while to adapt.

‘‘He’s probably only played out there twice in his career,’’ said Rance, nodding towards the MCG arena.

‘‘It’s going to be 10 times the crowd he’s used to playing in front of. A lot of things will go into his nerves. But I am confident, he’s an all-Australian. He’s a fantastic player.’’

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/afl/tom-lynch-has-a-lot-to-learn-says-tigers-champion-20190320-p515z2.html?ref=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_source=rss_feed

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1261 on: March 21, 2019, 05:37:58 AM »
Lynch's remarkable record against Blues

Chris Cavanagh,
Herald Sun
March 21, 2019

Footy’s biggest burning question was answered on Wednesday in two words when Richmond coach Damien Hardwick declared: “He’s playing.”

While it was welcome news for Tiger fans ahead of Thursday night's clash at the MCG, history makes for damning reading for the Carlton faithful.

Lynch has a history of monstering the Blues more than any other side across his Gold Coast Suns career, according to Champion Data statistics.

He recorded his best goal-haul against Carlton, booting 8.1 in Round 2 last season.

Lynch has played seven games against Carlton since 2012, averaging 17.7 disposals, 6.9 marks, 8 score involvements and 4 goals from those matches.

In five of the seven games he has kicked four or more goals.

The 26-year-old’s career average for goals stands at less than half that — 1.9 a game — and his best record against any of the 16 other sides is an average of 2.9 goals a game against West Coast.

The statistics provide reason why the Tigers have decided to roll the dice on Lynch, who has not played since Round 14 last season due to a posterior cruciate ligament injury.

The 193cm key forward did not play in either of the Tigers’ pre-season matches and has taken part in only limited match simulation but proved his fitness in a test on Tuesday.

Hardwick said he expected the former Gold Coast Suns co-captain to be managed slightly and play “75, 80 per cent of game time” against the Blues but he had shown big improvement in his recovery over the past two weeks.

“He’s going to get better and better every game he plays,” Hardwick said.

“Our medical staff did a terrific job. They spoke about that there will be a significant turning point and you’ll see that and we’ve seen that over the last two weeks where his work rate, his ability to create contests and that is starting to get to the level that we know.

“Tom had to be confident that he could perform at the level and he’s putting his hand up as well which is always a great sign for a coach.”

Hardwick said while it remained to be seen how Lynch and fellow key forward Jack Riewoldt would work together, he was simply looking for the basics from the pair for a start.

“Over the JLT I think we gave up a lot of marks inside our forward 50 and Tom will help bring the ball to ground as well as Jack,” he said.

“We’re looking forward to seeing how those two do come together. It will possibly take a bit of time, it might click straightaway. I’m hoping for the latter.”

The AFL will recognise the Christchurch mosque attacks with a minute’s silence at the Richmond-Carlton clash, with players across all games to wear black armbands.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/afl-round-1-2019-follow-all-the-action-from-season-opener-between-carlton-and-richmond/news-story/9486e125398515107983701bf987ddca

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1262 on: March 21, 2019, 05:57:46 PM »
Good ting with Lynch is he gets Richmond mentioned a lot in the papers up here

Online torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #1263 on: March 21, 2019, 06:56:31 PM »
Which knee is the PCL issue?

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1264 on: March 21, 2019, 07:18:35 PM »
Which knee is the PCL issue?
If you can't tell that would be a good result.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1265 on: March 21, 2019, 10:15:46 PM »
Dropped a fair few marks as the game went along cause he was stuffed. However, once Lynch gets his match fitness up to where it needs to be he'll start clunking all those marks. 3 goals and 5 score involvement meant it was still right to play him.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #1266 on: March 21, 2019, 10:23:05 PM »
stuff me he was well short of a gallop. He'd be ecstatic to have snagged a few.
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1267 on: March 21, 2019, 10:57:59 PM »
Will be better for the run. Gez he looks good tho.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #1268 on: March 21, 2019, 11:05:45 PM »

stuff me he was well short of a gallop. He'd be ecstatic to have snagged a few.

Yet still ran & chased harder than Vickery & Griffiths ever did at full fitness. ...... :shh

Was dead against bringong him back this early but luckily it paid off....of course Rance  then had to go and show us that what tthe footy gods giveth, the footy gods taketh away.... :shh :shh

« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 11:35:00 PM by Diocletian »
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #1269 on: March 21, 2019, 11:32:58 PM »
In another few weeks, that will be a 7 goal, 12 mark game.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1270 on: March 22, 2019, 03:11:32 AM »
'Rusty' Lynch finds a way to work into Tigers' forward line

AFL.com.au
Riley Beveridge
Mar 21, 2019 11:30PM

IT WAS all pretty symbolic.

Jack Riewoldt flying for the mark, overrunning the flight of the footy, but having Tom Lynch standing in pole position behind him to kick the first goal of the year.

Just minutes into Thursday night's season opener, this was a glimpse of the new-look Tigers.

Much of the summer had been spent debating how Lynch's arrival would change the way Richmond attacked. The rest was seemingly spent debating whether he would even play.

Both questions were answered rather emphatically over the space of 36 hours.

Yes, Lynch did play. And no, not much had changed for a potent Richmond outfit.

While the arrival of the former Gold Coast captain meant a two-pronged tall forward line with Riewoldt, the Tigers still did their damage from manic, aggressive pressure.

Lynch's second, kicked moments later and part of an unanswered six-goal run to start the game, was the result of a forced Carlton turnover and a quick handball out the back.

It turns out playing two talls wouldn't suddenly make the 2017 premiers immobile.

Maybe playing three wouldn't, either.

Athletic 194cm debutant Noah Balta soon joined Lynch as a first-kick, first-goal Tiger and a rampant Richmond looked to put the game to bed before quarter time.

It was all very similar to the Richmond side the Tiger faithful knew and loved. Until it wasn't.

Gradually, a 40-point lead was whittled away. Soon, it became just a 12-point margin. Where Lynch and Riewoldt looked dangerous early, they became rather ineffectual late.

Lynch was spending more and more time on the bench, with his return to footy from a long-term knee injury sustained at the Suns being managed cautiously by the Tiger medics.

For Riewoldt, it simply wasn't his night at the office. Fantastic field positions were spurned by hacked kicks that flew off the side of his boot.

Much like his partnership with Lynch, his night was scratchy to say the least.

"(Jack's game) typified how those forwards worked," Damien Hardwick said after the match.

"It was a little bit clunky, but it will get better as the season progresses."

However, despite the hiccups along the way during Thursday night's game, this was the benefit Richmond envisaged by having a dual threat. While one had a forgettable evening, the other was on hand to boot three crucial goals in the context of the game.

"Tom kicked three, but he got his hands to a lot," Hardwick added.

"He hasn't played footy for six, seven, eight months. He was always going to be rusty and we accepted that as a coaching group. We were just happy he got through the game.

"He's going to take those marks next week and the week after, then he becomes a really damaging player for us. In saying that, he created a lot of contests tonight."

As the match progressed, with Richmond dominating throughout the game's infancy, it wasn't hard to slowly get drawn more and more to the pair's work in tandem.

Riewoldt, manned by Liam Jones, began many of the restarts out of the goal square thanks to the new 6-6-6 rules. Lynch, paired with Jacob Weitering, was higher up the field.

Both carried the water for Dustin Martin when the superstar shifted from the centre.

But while they both led strongly and brought the ball to ground for their speedy smaller teammates, it was how they profited from the pressure around them that was encouraging.

With every turnover forced by Richmond's remarkable intensity at the ball all around the ground – not just forward – the duo were on their bike, running hard back to goal to ensure a price was paid.

If they weren't the ones to capitalise, they drew defenders away from the ball carrier with their work ethic. That, in turn, meant one of their teammates surely exploited the effort.

Eventually, Lynch did – again.

Just when Carlton looked most threatening early in the final term, the club's star new recruit cleaned up a typically scrappy Richmond foray forward.

His rushed kick was a goal, his third of the match, and the contest was effectively won.

First game, first big tick for the Tigers.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-21/rusty-lynch-finds-a-way-to-work-into-tigers-forward-line

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1271 on: March 22, 2019, 08:54:56 PM »
He was my new favourite player when he kicked that first goal...
Had $50 on him at $8

Nice little earner.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1272 on: March 25, 2019, 02:02:38 AM »
Tiger Tom is going to be a handful for opposition teams in 2019

Ben Guthrie
afl.com.au
25 March 2019

He looked rusty and double-clunked balls throughout Thursday night's season opener, but marquee recruit Tom Lynch showed enough to suggest he will have a major impact on how Richmond fares this season. Lynch kicked three goals from four kicks against the Blues, but took just one mark in his first competitive hit-out for seven months. The significant changes to Richmond's forward line personnel will also take some time to settle, with Lynch learning to co-exist alongside Jack Riewoldt. As Damien Hardwick noted after the game, Lynch's ability to create an aerial contest was important on Thursday night. Richmond's small forwards Jack Higgins, Dan Butler and Dan Rioli could be the major beneficiary when he brings balls to the deck. When Lynch begins to find his touch and motors around the ground in characteristic style, whenever that comes, look out to those defenders trying to contain him.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-24/nine-things-we-learned-from-round-one

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1273 on: March 27, 2019, 12:32:26 AM »
New Tiger pulls up well and focuses on 'massive game'

AFL.com.au
Sarah Black
Mar 26, 2019

RICHMOND star recruit Tom Lynch says he has pulled up well from his first game since July last year.

The key forward had surgery on his PCL while playing for Gold Coast in 2018 and did not play any intra-club or JLT Community Series matches in the lead-up to round one.

"I was pretty happy. I was a bit sore after my first game, but pretty much everywhere else besides the knee. The knee feels really good," Lynch said.

"I probably wasn't expecting to mark everything, I would have liked to have taken a few more marks, particularly in the last quarter.

"'Dimma' (coach Damien Hardwick) was really good, he said, 'You're going to get better in a week's time, in a month's time again,' so [I need to build] a bit more match fitness and a bit more touch and I'm looking forward to clunking a few more marks."

Lynch kicked three goals in the 33-point win over Carlton, including the first of the match from a mark and set shot.

"I obviously wanted to kick it. I was a little bit nervous, but it was good to be out there, it was exciting.

"It was good to get through and get a goal early," Lynch said, acknowledging the crowd was "quite easily" they biggest he had played before.

"It's obviously amazing to have 85,000 there and having the Tiger Army behind you. It was an amazing feeling and it'll be great again this weekend."

Richmond will be coming up against Collingwood on Thursday night at the MCG, the first time the sides have met since the Magpies comfortably triumphed in last year's preliminary final.

"From what I can gather, every time we play Collingwood it's a massive game … we got beaten in the prelim final so there is a fair bit of sting amongst the boys," Lynch said.

We're looking forward to getting out there and playing. They played off for a Grand Final, so you want to test yourself against the best in the competition.

Tom Lynch on Collingwood

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-26/new-tiger-pulls-up-well-and-focuses-on-massive-game

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1274 on: March 28, 2019, 10:27:58 PM »
One of the few positives on the night. 3 goals is a decent return from the garbage we dished out tonight. As Ramps said in the game thread, Lynch will be a good player for us.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd