Author Topic: Does not winning a premiership affect your legacy? Robbo asks Richo (H-Sun)  (Read 1516 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Mark Robinson sat down with some former greats and asked them that key question: Does not winning a premiership affect your legacy?

MATTHEW RICHARDSON

Richmond

Games: 282. Goals: 800.

Premierships: 0

RICHARDSON SAYS:

“I think to a certain an extent because at the end of the day that’s what you play footy for. Ultimately, people do judge success on premierships. There is a bit of a void there and I’ve got no doubt other people judge it that way. Working in the media, a lot of my colleagues are premiership players and invariably when you’re sitting around in an airport lounge or at the hotel after a game, when the conversation comes up about premierships you feel like you check out of the conversation a little bit. You feel like you can’t get involved. It does come into your mind when you work in the industry. But after a time, you do get over it. With me, and this might sound ridiculous, but with Richmond winning the flag and (me) being a nuffy supporter, that felt like it sort of filled a bit of the void, even though I had nothing to do with it. Just seeing Richmond win one took away a bit of the emptiness of not winning one yourself. That was a good thing for me. And life’s not too bad is it? I’m working in footy 10 years after I finished playing, and being in my mid-40s, I haven’t too much to worry about.”

BUT ON THE OTHER SIDE THERE’S ...

DARYL FREAME

Richmond

Games: 17 (over five years). Goals: 5.

Premierships: 1

FREAME SAYS:

“I turned up at the ground on Grand Final day 1980, and most of the players had gone to get changed, so I assumed I wasn’t playing. Then Tony Jewell (coach) sat next to me told me to get downstairs and get changed. That’s how I found out. I came on about 15 minutes to go in the last quarter. I was only 22 and I was over the moon. It’s magnificent to play on the MCG and the crowd was fantastic. If you ask me if I can remember the whole game, I probably can’t. On the ground, you just heard the crowd roaring and cheering. I was just rapt to get a run and touch the ball a few times so I could say I was part of it. It was one of the best days of my life. Even now, and I’m in Perth, Richmond people still remember the Grand Final. I didn’t have a strong VFL career. but I’m rapt I can look back all the time and cherish it. I’m really proud. I’ve still got the video, my two young girls are 10 and 12, they don’t follow footy that much, but they like watching the video and me collecting the medal. I had a bit of luck, but that’s part of the game, I was there at the right time. The medal is in my sock in the shoebox.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/afl-champions-who-didnt-win-a-premiership-reflect-on-how-that-affects-their-legacy/news-story/21bb9f41d2ebfd0f0420b0cd4ff1d73c

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
 "does being a poo fake journo with value to neither man nor beast make him more or less of an oxygen thief?"
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
"does being a poo fake journo with value to neither man nor beast make him more or less of an oxygen thief?"

Who's this?
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
Just thought it was a stupid question.  A premiership is a team effort.  Richo's individual efforts and abilities have never been in question.  Blobbo comes up with questions that a 'think tank' full of crayon chewing primary school kids would roll their eyes at.  "der woud a premiership been nice Richo"  "der sure Blobbo...it sure would of been."  what exactly is he fishing for?  Does he want him to say he should of left Richmond?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 10:32:50 AM by Owl »
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
I suppose Gary Ablett and tony Lockett were poo players because they didn’t win premierships. Ridiculous question