Author Topic: Why do Richmond and Collingwood hate each other? They just do (Herald-Sun)  (Read 965 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Why do Richmond and Collingwood hate each other? They just do, writes Mark Robinson

MARK ROBINSON,
Herald Sun
September 20, 2018

WHEN the siren sounded in the semi-final at the MCG, prompting a thunderous roar that announced Collingwood was into the preliminary final against Richmond, the past introduced itself to the present.

One wonders what the youth of today — players and fans — make of Friday night’s game.

Is it just another match in the AFL conglomerate?

Or do they feel the tug of yesteryear, told by fathers and grandfathers, who grew up with a 12-team competition and who just might be seen in those quickened, grainy, black and white movie reels when stepping off trams on Wellington Parade.

It’s been so long since these powerhouses have played in such a consequential game.

Richmond hates Collingwood. Collingwood hates Richmond. It’s been that way since anyone can remember, and if you barrack for either of these teams and were asked why, you’d probably shrug your shoulders.

They just do.

The immediate reaction when the siren sounded six nights back was simply “YES”.

If we can be dramatic, it might be the greatest preliminary final of all time.

Their previous final was in 1980 and the jingle at the time was about meat pies, kangaroos and Holden cars.

Since then, the internet was invented, Wi-Fi is a bestie and the match on Friday night could be watched on smartphones and laptops anywhere in the world.

Hearing what the clubs’ icons — Jack Dyer and Lou Richards — would think of this monstrosity of reach would be worthwhile listening.

Dyer famously said he hated Collingwood so much he wouldn’t watch black and white TV, so it’s hard to know how he’d go with Fox Footy, 24/7, siren-to-siren.

Dyer was whimsical, but his hatred for Collingwood was forever real.

In his 1965 book, he wrote: “Whenever I have a nightmare it isn’t in colour. It’s always black and white, the colours of the meanest, toughest club ever to run on to a football field. Collingwood.

“I’ve laboured the point of my hatred of Collingwood and it isn’t a friendly dislike — as a club they rankle me.

“You couldn’t like them, they think they are God’s gift to football, they shun all outsiders, and the only time I like to think of Collingwood is when they lose, because it hurts them so much.”

Sadly, the youth of today might not be familiar with “Captain Blood” and what he means to the Richmond Football Club.

Life moves quick, too quick sometimes, and that’s why history is important.

It’s why Collingwood’s headquarters has statues of Lou Richards and Bobby Rose, and Dyer is at Punt Rd.

Oh, what Bobby would think of the deeds of coach Nathan Buckley.

Folklore has it Rose was the best to player for the Magpies, that is until Rose said Buckley was the best he’d seen.

Rose had his challenges as Collingwood coach, losing the 1964, ’66 and ’70 Grand Finals.

And so, too, has Bucks. We know the story. He was almost sacked, he wasn’t, and now his team is two games away from chronicling one of the greatest stories in the history of the Collingwood Football Club.

The favourite son might become their favourite coach.

If they win, Eddie McGuire would love it. That joke by Sam Newman about Ed coming home one night and seeing Bucks on one side of the bed and wife Carla on the other, and being asked which side he would get into, might get dusted off again.

McGuire devours history.

This is his 20th year as president, and at the end of last year he launched the review from the starting point that Buckley would not be sacked — and he and football boss Geoff Walsh worked backwards from there.

It’s been an inspired decision and Buckley has been an inspiring figure.

He has always been highly respected by rivals, but now he is liked and highly respected by rivals because of what he gives to the footy community in commentary and his achievements this season.

These two teams last played in a preliminary final in 1973 — it was a hell of a season for the Magpies … until September.

They went 19-3, had the week off, lost to Carlton by 20 points in the second semi and to Richmond by seven points in the preliminary — it was straight sets when straight sets meant much more than today.

It was a tattoo of ridicule.

Neil Balme, the ex-Tiger who worked with Buckley and McGuire at Collingwood and is back at Tigerland, kicked five goals in that preliminary final.

“I do remember it quite well,” he said between telling everyone this week that Dustin Martin would play.

“We were behind early, we hung in there, Royce (Hart) was sitting on the bench in the first half and came on and did a pretty good job. Stewy (Ian Stewart) kicked a goal just before halftime from memory — we might’ve been down by 42 just before halftime and Stewy kicked a goal, which gave us a bit of confidence.

“I think Thommo (Len Thompson) started at centre half-forward, they did a few other funny things, and I think Bourkey (Francis Bourke) might’ve picked him up.”

Balme was hated by Carlton for haymakers in the 1970s.

“That’s what it was like in those days, a lot more combative and competitive than it is now,” he said.

But it was different with Collingwood.

“We were a bit respectful of each other because we were probably a bit closer to each other off the field,” he said.

“We knew each other reasonably well so it was never horrible, it was never hatred, it was good, strong competition.

“We loved playing Collingwood in a final because we believed they’d never beat us — it finished up being true.”

Where once youngsters would roll up newspapers or buy fat, brown plastic footies to kick in their loungerooms and hallways, and read about heroes of today and season gone by, today’s kids have grown up on phones, the Xbox and Playstations — devouring history is not their go.

“I can understand that … the history is good to be read, but it doesn’t necessarily influence the future in its own way, does it?” Balme said.

In 20 years, we might talk about how Mason Cox kicked five goals just like Balmey, or how Tyson Goldsack quelled Jack Riewoldt coming off an ACL, or how Dusty added another layer to his greatness.

Whatever happens, this game will be long remembered, because games like Friday night, at the MCG and in front of 100,000 fans, are the very essence of history.

It’s Richmond v Collingwood. Suburb v suburb. Hatred v hatred.

It’s going to be a corker.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/expert-opinion/mark-robinson/why-do-richmond-and-collingwood-hate-other-they-just-do-writes-mark-robinson/news-story/dd30061580c9c107c470b988d1de4ab6

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
Re: Why do Richmond and Collingwood hate each other? They just do (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 08:26:14 AM »
>Random Thought
>Inaccurate historical reference
>Random Thought
>Sentimental Nostalgia for youth
>Random Thought
>Pontificate
>Goto 10

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 09:39:39 AM »
I hate them because they are from victoria and they are not richmond....

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 10:35:29 AM »
I didn't hate Collingwood growing up in the 70s as we seemed to beat them when it mattered. Although Jack said we should hate them so that was good enough for me.

Carlton on the other hand........@#$% @#$%

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 10:59:33 AM »
I didn't hate Collingwood growing up in the 70s as we seemed to beat them when it mattered. Although Jack said we should hate them so that was good enough for me.

Gracie, I am exactly the same

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 11:05:34 AM »

Gracie, I am exactly the same

x3.

My hatred for Carlton is probably the strongest, mostly for the way their arrogant supporters mocked us when we were down.

Essendon #2 for the sheer imperious way they dealt with the doping saga.

Thens its probably a tie for every other team.

Can't stand the Demons; largely for the freebies the AFL threw them after they gave us diddily squat.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 11:34:42 AM »
I don't hate them as much as Geelong, Melbourne or Norf, but the thought of Eddies fat head celebrating a win makes my skin crawl.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2018, 01:41:01 PM »
I don't hate Collingwood

Never have, actually have a soft spot for them when we are not playing them

My Dad was a Pies Man his entire life. I've said this before one of "footy regrets" is not being able to go to the footy with my Dad. Especially on a night like tonight

And it's because of my Dad, I have been following the Tigers since I was 5

So because of that I will never hate Collingwood
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2018, 02:09:53 PM »
Anyone but richmomd I hate. There are varying degrees of hate but this mob is right up there

Some of you have short memories of the bashing’s we have copped from there and especially that game where kingy flew the flag on his own

Hope we bury then

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 03:01:22 PM »
I don't hate Collingwood

My Dad was a Pies Man his entire life. I've said this before one of "footy regrets" is not being able to go to the footy with my Dad. Especially on a night like tonight

Pfft......my old man and more than half my family supported Carlton - ya reckon I have a "soft spot" for those bastards? Not bloody likely.....give  yourself an uppercut son.... >:(
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2018, 03:30:26 PM »
I don't hate Collingwood

Pfft......my old man and more than half my family supported Carlton - ya reckon I have a "soft spot" for those bastards? Not bloody likely.....give  yourself an uppercut son.... >:(

No! Stand by my comments / view

It is because of my Dad, my old man who passed away when I was 7, that I follow Richmond. And knowing he'd be so very proud that I followed his advice all those years ago means the world to me.

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2018, 04:37:31 PM »
Hate Carlscum because they are arrogant cheats and cheat. Their supporters are the worst by far.

Hate Collingwood also but not for the same reasons. Maybe because it seemed everyone I know that supports them really knows nothing about footy but would just barrack for them because someone told them too. Nothing much has changed because most of them are still cluelees. Truly out of all the hundreds Collingwood supporters I know I could list about 4 of them actually understand and watch footy.  :rollin

Hate Essendon because they are drug cheats and we’re willing to do “whatever it takes” which is what we all hate about the scum.

Hawks I hate because of their fickle supporters.

The club that keeps giving.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2018, 05:00:48 PM »
Being around the club as a kid (my Dad held a role with the old U19s), I knew a few old timers (esp. trainers) back then who grew up or were around in Jack Dyer's era. They pretty much made sure a hatred of Collingwood was a prerequisite for any Tiger ;D

Just as an aside, apparently there was an oath that was sworn or something like that after the 1937 finals loss (not sure if it was Jack Dyer or someone else who instigated it) that we would never lose another final to Collingwood after losing so many to them during the 1920s & 30s. Let's hope we keep the winning record since then up tonight  :pray.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd