Author Topic: Jack Ross [merged]  (Read 83768 times)

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Jack Ross [merged]
« Reply #300 on: June 09, 2022, 02:45:25 PM »
There is no such thing as ‘awful lot wrong’ when it comes to winning 3 flags. Have they seemingly drafter some busts? Sure, but that comes with the territory of having higher draft picks by virtue of winning flags making the kids picked up far less of a sure thing. Of the 4 you named, Ross was pick 43, RCD was pick 20, Dow was pick 21 and Martyn was pick 44. Hardly top end draft picks.

Hmmm read again and stop choking on your weetbix every time you read a post.

I said an awful lot RIGHT  which means most things but they had got more than enough wrong and list management in these areas is one of them. No matter how you want to spin it it is a correct statement.

Would you rather we all just adopt your attitude and post as if they have never gotten a thing wrong. Now you know thats not right they have got things wrong no matter how much you want to deny it. Lucky some of us see things for what they are.

By the way both Pick 20 and 21 are first round picks and as such top end picks, so wrong again eh. you may think them lousy picks but id take em every day of the week. By your logic picks 28 29 and 30 are poo picks and we should not be surprised if the players we took with them fail.

Just to finish i can see all of Martyn, Ross, RC-D and Dow being delisted at the end of the year or in Dows case later. that is how underwhelming they have been. Not just this year either. Outside of the old boys what mids does that leave. Just Bolton of any sort of quality and here you are saying we have got nothing wrong.
Talls and mid problems have not just magically appeared they have been there for years. We have years and years while success has come in to address these areas and all we do is keep on taking smalls and Flankers.

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #301 on: June 09, 2022, 04:09:35 PM »
Lol you are such a negative Nelly. It’s been said on this forum by many people but you always always always focus on the negatives instead of the overwhelming positives.

We won 3 flags geez not sure what else you are expecting. There have been 3 other teams to win 3 flags in short succession. Both the lions and hawks dropped off to the foot of the ladder. Geelong have managed to stay up by largely ignoring the draft and topping up with mature age players and have been stuck playing the bridesmaid for 10 years now.

No1 is saying mistakes wernt made - you love to read things and make your own interpretation of things to suit your agenda. The recruitment team made mistakes as does every single recruitment team in the history of this sport however they were mostly straddled with later picks due to our success (I never said none were first round picks btw champ). If you have a look at the players that went around the RCD and Dow picks it’s hardly the whose who of top young talent however I’m sure you’ll make them out to be all future brownlow medalists.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #302 on: June 25, 2022, 07:44:59 PM »
Thoughts on this weeks game

Broadsword

« Reply #303 on: June 25, 2022, 07:49:31 PM »
Thoughts on this weeks game

Some impressive moments. Would have to go back and watch the tape again but my recollection is that he held his own in the guts and did a few nice things on the outside too. Stepped up tonight. He should find West Coast in Melbourne a doddle now.

25 possies and 6 clearances. And--inverting claw's Jack Graham rule--he didn't lay any tackles, which means he was never second to the farkin ball!!!

Offline FooffooValve

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #304 on: June 25, 2022, 07:53:09 PM »
Was excellent in the heat of this battle. Worth persevering with, especially in the inside role. Made a couple of errors, but who didn't in this game?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #305 on: June 25, 2022, 07:54:36 PM »
Ross' best game for us since his debut. Would love tonight to be a breakout game. Just shows if he is to play at AFL level it needs to be as an inside mid. He's not a wingman and never will be.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #306 on: June 25, 2022, 08:04:10 PM »
Yep best game I’ve seen him play

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #307 on: June 25, 2022, 09:13:38 PM »
I'll hold my praise until he strings together a few more like that. Yes he played well but....

We said the same thing a few weeks back and the 2 follow up games were woeful.

And I have to say that attempted little dinky kick in the final qtr after receiving the Lynch handball was oh so costly. Even more so because he had blokes streaming forward, a 30-40 metre kick would (should) have resulted in a score for us. Instead it was a turnover that cost us a goal

« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 09:57:57 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #308 on: June 25, 2022, 09:19:05 PM »
I thought he was great tonight. That should be the standard and he is so much better when playing in the middle.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #309 on: June 25, 2022, 09:56:24 PM »
Ross' best game for us since his debut. Would love tonight to be a breakout game. Just shows if he is to play at AFL level it needs to be as an inside mid. He's not a wingman and never will be.

Play him where he’s best suited. He’s a one dimensional player but showed that dimension is AFL standard
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #310 on: June 25, 2022, 11:18:01 PM »
I've been a big critic of Ross. He has been played out of position which is on our coaches. But he was excellent today and good on him.

If there was an advocate for playing players to their strengths it was this. Same with Balta up forward. Keep things simple and play players where they are their best selves instead of trying to fill holes with square pegs.

Well done Jack keep it going mate.
Go Tigers!

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #311 on: June 26, 2022, 01:48:18 AM »
Agree with all. Thought was excellent today - needs to stay an inside mid when playing for the seniors. If they want to replace a winger than pick someone else.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #312 on: June 26, 2022, 07:09:00 AM »
Like others his game improved as the game went on.

Very good game and one of the better ones I’ve seen him play. A very strong performance much like his VfL game the week before.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #313 on: June 26, 2022, 03:27:29 PM »
I don't want see him on the wing again fullstop.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #314 on: June 26, 2022, 06:00:48 PM »
Lol you are such a negative Nelly. It’s been said on this forum by many people but you always always always focus on the negatives instead of the overwhelming positives.

We won 3 flags geez not sure what else you are expecting. There have been 3 other teams to win 3 flags in short succession. Both the lions and hawks dropped off to the foot of the ladder. Geelong have managed to stay up by largely ignoring the draft and topping up with mature age players and have been stuck playing the bridesmaid for 10 years now.

No1 is saying mistakes wernt made - you love to read things and make your own interpretation of things to suit your agenda. The recruitment team made mistakes as does every single recruitment team in the history of this sport however they were mostly straddled with later picks due to our success (I never said none were first round picks btw champ). If you have a look at the players that went around the RCD and Dow picks it’s hardly the whose who of top young talent however I’m sure you’ll make them out to be all future brownlow medalists.
fmd nothing but deflection and dribble.

Lol have never ever made any player out, ours or players taken around them to be future champs.But hey turn it into that if it helps you  rationalise things.
Mostly its been how few Ross and RC-D types we take and how little the two have progressed since we took em.Nothing more bud, yet you continue to get your knickers in a twist.

so with ross at pick 43 what are the expectations when you draft. Hopefully a decent standard afl player which so far despite the Geelong game last night is not the case. At pick 20 with RCD 4 years in what is the longer term expectation?clearly better attributes than Ross with a supposed higher ceiling yet if anything he has been worse.
What is the bottom line with these two if they do happen to make it? Clearly there is no Prestia Cotchin there in fact where is the Prestia Cotchin type after all its that sort of quality that enabled enables us to be competetive.Are you saying your happy to go with Ross RC-D and Dow to take over and make us a power again.For me it has nothing to do about now but about where we need to be in 4 or 5 yrs time as far as im concerned we have had our moment in the sun its time to do some hard yards and make some hard calls.

The bottom line is it does not matter where your drafted its all about what you do once you get there.
So we don't get things wrong yet we play Ross on a wing when we do play him and its similar with Dawkins. Was it not Dimwit who supposedly came up with the notion of making it fun and playing them in their best roles to give em best chance to succeed way back at the start of 2017. Seems to me he has forget that lesson with these two, yet you think we dont get things wrong.
What is not to criticise with both to date yet i am yet to call for either to be delisted just pointed out their weaknesses.

wont take it further than that except to say two things. yes you post like we have never made a mistake and when anyone points out a mistake you get cut up rather than acknowleding we should have done better.
Lol  i was happy to win one flag yet alone three. Yet here you are accusing me of expecting more when im one of few who have said we cannot win another with the aging group we have. its funny  im not the one bringing up our flags in this. Clearly your expectation is for many more with this group.

Why is it so hard for some just accept straight down the line honesty. You really do know deep down we do get things wrong it would be nice to hear you talk about them rather than constantly refuting we get anything wrong.