Football > Richmond Rant

Sydney Stack [merged]

(1/218) > >>

Diocletian:
Hmm maybe we weren't keeping the free spot for the mid-season draft after all.... :shh

--- Quote ---WA’s clouded draft crop could have a silver lining with Sydney Stack set to receive a lifeline from Richmond.

Stack was one of the most high-profile names overlooked in the national and rookie drafts yesterday, as the State recorded its lowest haul since 2002.

But The Weekend West understands Richmond is poised to invite the Perth midfielder to train at the club in the coming weeks. It is believed Stack — an All-Australian in the national carnival from just three games — would live with Tigers coach Damien Hardwick while he is in Melbourne and could be listed by March 15 under new rules if he impresses.

WA had just one player taken in the first round of the national draft, Jordan Clark (Geelong), on Thursday night, with highly-rated forward Ian Hill slipping to Greater Western Sydney at selection 24 yesterday.

Twelve players found their way onto lists during the two-day event — seven in the national draft and five as rookies.
--- End quote ---

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl-draft/afl-draft-2018-richmond-set-to-offer-sydney-stack-an-afl-lifeline-ng-b881030755z

YellowandBlackBlood:
The guy is a jet. Must have behavioural issues not to get picked.....

Francois Jackson:
gee he looks good from that highlight reel

Diocletian:
My uneducated guess is that at least 16 clubs passed because he was considered a real flight risk so by doing it this way we can assess whether or not he he can adapt to living interstate without costing a list spot if it looks like he can't....of course the fact that both WA clubs also overlooked him might mean there are some deeper issues involved but it also may just mean they had other needs.....Freo already have a couple like him while WC were forced to take Jarrod Cameron with a higher pick than they probably anticipated....(mind you, they both could've just rookied him too)... . :shh

mightytiges:
He's not a flight risk. In fact, he has said he would love to get away from his home state and start his life afresh.

He was overlooked due to off-field/behavioural issues. The same thing happened when he was first overlooked for WA in the U18 Champs.

“It’s more like off-field and what your character is like and what you are willing to do to develop as a person and player,” Stack said.

“Footy is like kind of an escape for me. I grew up moving a lot and grew up around violence ... and never really had stability, so I just find footy as just a way out, to get out of trouble and things like that.

“I just really find my peace there, on the footy field. Just that physical side, I really take my anger out at footy sometimes and it just helps me, to release stress and stuff.”

“I just have a lot of family issues and stuff like that. I just really focused on myself and putting my best foot forward this year.

“A lot of credit to my manager Paul Peos. He helped me on the mental side of things and got my head screwed on and just focused day-in, day-out, week-in, week-out. Not thinking too far ahead.”

Stack lived with Peos at the start of the year but ended up spending the rest of the year staying with former Western Bulldogs player Brennan Stack, who has also helped him off the field. Brennan and Sydney’s great grandfathers were brothers.

He is close with his four sisters, but would love the chance to move interstate.

“Just a whole new start and just to get away from everything and live my life,” he said.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl-draft/afl-draft-2018-sydney-stack-finds-peace-in-footys-rough-and-tumble-ng-b881023654z

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version