Author Topic: Two-year ban for Tigers member over racist taunts (afl site)  (Read 1809 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Two-year ban for Tigers member over racist taunts (afl site)
« on: March 27, 2019, 12:12:46 AM »
Two-year ban for Tigers member over racist taunts

AFL.com.au
Mar 27, 2019

RICHMOND has suspended a club member for two years after an AFL investigation revealed the member was responsible for racist taunts of West Coast's Liam Ryan on social media.

An AFL investigation revealed the person who racially vilified Ryan via a comment on Instagram was a Richmond member and the club moved quickly to ban them until March 2021.

"Racial vilification has no place in our game, and no place in our society, and the club will continue to take strong measures to ensure there is zero tolerance to this behaviour," the club said in a statement.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-26/twoyear-ban-for-tigers-member-over-racist-taunts

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Two-year ban for Tigers member over racist taunts (afl site)
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 12:25:48 AM »
I would have banned him for life....... :shh
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 05:09:28 AM »
What did he say?

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 06:57:12 AM »
👍

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 06:59:49 AM »

:clapping

As for what was said. It's been removed from social media and it's best left there. Don't want to give this scumbag any more air time

However, the WCE there is a video on their website explaining really well why what was said was so offensive.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Dont Argue

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 07:56:49 AM »

:clapping

As for what was said. It's been removed from social media and it's best left there. Don't want to give this scumbag any more air time

However, the WCE there is a video on their website explaining really well why what was said was so offensive.

Well played  :clapping

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2019, 08:45:43 AM »
After recent events any racial slur even in jest is unacceptable.
You can see the hatred this sort of behaviour encourages.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2019, 10:54:15 AM »
Neil Mitchell on 3aw this morning was calling Richmond hypocritical because the Club gave Broad a 3 week suspension for humiliating a woman on social media compared to a two-year suspension for this club member over racial taunts on social media.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2019, 10:59:48 AM »
Neil Mitchell is an imbecile....:shh
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2019, 11:01:42 AM »
Where was the west coast video when their home crowd decided to boo Adam Goodes.
Unleash the tornado

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2019, 06:01:40 PM »
Where was the west coast video when their home crowd decided to boo Adam Goodes.
As much as I think you’re spot on; they’ve picked and chose their timing; the ‘hypocrisy’ argument is a childish rebuttal as far as I’m concerned. Every club, individual, institution and government has been hypocritical in their stance on racism at one point in time. So instead of advancing the cause we all get bogged down in finger pointing. What was said was completely off; and totally inappropriate. Help people understand why and then move on.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2019, 06:11:28 PM »
Richmond coach Damien Hardwick is lamenting society's disappointing '20 per cent' after Tigers fans were involved in two ugly incidents.

Hardwick said the AFL community must be better and has backed Alastair Clarkson's call for more positive messages about the game.

Police have charged three men following the brawl at the end of last Thursday night's Richmond-Carlton season opener at the MCG.

On Tuesday, Richmond banned a member for two years after an AFL investigation found the unidentified person had racially abused West Coast forward Liam Ryan with online comments.

The AFL community has rallied around Ryan and there was a similar backlash last week when Carlton AFLW star Tayla Harris was the subject of sexist online trolling.

"Eighty per cent of the population in most parts of society do the right thing," Hardwick said.

"There's always going to be that element of 20 per cent that disappoint.

"Unfortunately (the brawl) fell into that part and then we have the racial and sexual discrimination type things as well.

"It's incredibly disappointing those three things have happened over the course of a week - we have to be better than that."

In the wake of the abuse directed at Ryan, Clarkson posted a video where the Hawthorn coaching great praised Adelaide's indigenous goalkicking ace Eddie Betts.

The Eagles have also started an online campaign calling for an end to racial abuse.

Harris impressively hit back at her abusers, fronting a media conference and starting an online campaign where she has encouraged fans to emulate her now-famous flying kick.

"It was really brave by Tayla and I think a lot of the AFL community stand behind Ryan as well," Hardwick said.

"It's not something we want to see in our game - our game should be applauded.

"I think Clarko touched it off, we have to be more positive.

"Overall, as a society, we can do that - gratitude, all these sorts of things."

https://www.avonadvocate.com.au/story/5977725/hardwick-laments-afl-fans-bad-minority/

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2019, 09:39:00 PM »

Next thing they will take a stand against drug use.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2019, 09:40:14 PM »
:lol
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"