Author Topic: The "little asterisk" on Richmond's acquisition of Tom Lynch: David King (SEN)  (Read 1134 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
The "little asterisk" on Richmond's acquisition of Tom Lynch

By Nic Negrepontis
SEN
19 March 2019

SEN footy expert David King has put “a little asterisk” on Richmond’s acquisition of Tom Lynch, saying good teams bringing in stars hasn’t resulted in premiership success in recent times.

The two-time North Melbourne premiership player still expects the Tigers to be the team to beat in 2019, however.

“I just want to put a little asterisk on the acquisition of Tom Lynch,” King told SEN’s Whateley yesterday.

“You can go back as far as you want, Dangerfield leaving Adelaide, did it really mean that Geelong should’ve won a flag?

“You’ve got Lance Franklin going to Sydney, he left a couple (of flags) behind, hasn’t had that success in Sydney.

“You can go back in history and saying the star going into a Preliminary Final team doesn’t necessarily mean that they go on and win the flag.

“We’ve got five or six examples in the last six or seven years so let’s just wait and see.

“Their success in the last few years, I think they’ve won five more games than any other team in the last two years. They are in front of the competition. We’re still chasing Richmond even though they’re not holding the cup.

“You’d be a fool to say they wouldn’t be there again, but a lot of what they do has been worked out, has been studied heavily over the last 24 months so it is getting harder for them.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/03/19/the-little-asterisk-on-richmonds-acquisition-of-tom-lynch/

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
He wasn't an absolute elite star buy hawthorn bringing in Brian Lake was a large part of them winning a flag. You could also argue that Tom Boyd helped the Bulldogs in 2016.

As usual David King is speaking out of his arse

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
King is an arse.... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
David King*   

I can't believe how well that works!    ::)
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
David King*   

*convicted drunk driver
I can't believe how well that works!    ::)

EFA- and I agree
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Dougeytherichmondfan

*Dangerfield went to an aging Geelong that had glaring holes in its line up and had over achieved for the last 4 years.

**Franklin immediately took Sydney to 2 GF in 3 years, both of which they were favourites.

Offline Tigerish

• Tiger Rookie
*Shaun Burgoyne

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
*Ian Stewart

:shh :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.