Author Topic: Tigers battled to keep form in last 6 weeks/ No big 2019 gameplan change: Leppa  (Read 1991 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Leppitsch concedes the Tigers battled to keep their form strong in the last six weeks of the 2018 season as they managed the post-Round 23 bye and Dustin Martin’s finals knee injury.

But he said the Tigers were determined to focus on the 95 per cent of positives rather than the five per cent that went wrong as the Eagles instead won the premiership.

Recruit Tom Lynch has started running after more minor knee surgery.

Leppitsch said his inclusion in next year’s team would not significantly change the club’s game style.

With two talls the club might be able to kick the ball high and low to its forwards more, but “there won’t be massive evolution of our game style”.

Leppitsch will replace Ben Rutten in the role for 2019, returning to the line where he cut his teeth as a Tigers assistant coach before becoming Brisbane’s senior coach.

He is widely credited with helping Alex Rance meet his potential but says after coaching the club’s forwards in recent years he can only help an experienced back six maintain their amazing form.

Source: Herald-Sun

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
Why was that the case?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Why was that the case?
Probably a combination of things. Our form and intensity did drop away from earlier in the season aside from the Qualifying Final win over the Hawks who were shown up in the finals and overachieved in making the top 4.

* We sealed up a top 2 spot pretty much with a month to go so perhaps we mentally switched off (even subconsciously) and players went into self-preservation mode not wanting to get injured.

* You can also fall into bad habits if you're winning all the time especially against bottom sides which allow you to get away with errors or lazy decisions you wouldn't with against a fellow top side.

* Being premiers, every week you have the opposition building themselves up to play you. Over a long season, it can wear you down both physically (niggles) and mentally. There have been plenty of reigning premiers in history who are still white hot midway through the next season but drop off enough by the time of finals to cost them back-to-back. Essendon 2001 and Collingwood 2011 come to mind.

* Dusty being injured and ineffective compared to his usual self in the Prelim. Enough said!

* Tactics part 1: Opposition sides changed the way they played against us. Geelong and then Essendon tried to attack long through the corridor to go over the top of our forward press. It worked at times but it's a high risk tactic and they weren't consistently skilled enough to pull it off and we still got over the line. Other opposition sides started to copycat it.

* Tactics part 2: Oppositions sides targeted Grigg as our second ruck. Collingwood obviously set up with their mids spread further away from stoppages and instructed Grundy or Cox to just whack the ball as far as they good. They did us in because it turned a strength of ours for 18 months into a weakness. We love to get numbers at the fall of the ball to outnumber and pressure the opposition as a collective. As there was no man-on-man, Sidebottom had a field day with no tag on him.

* Tactics part 3: Cox obviously had a day out but not just up forward. What really hurt us was their down the line kick was marked by him far too often. We actually want the opposition kicking down the line as we regularly pick it off and then counter. We actually set-up defensively to force that kick. It's one of the ways we get repeat forward entries that build up our pressure on the opposition. Cox took that strength away from us and nullified it.   
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
Dioc, tell me if MT is right. On mobile and can't read a post that long :shh
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
Don't under-estimate a missing Dan Butler over that 6 week period
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Don't under-estimate a missing Dan Butler over that 6 week period
True, RR. His defensive speed and chasing down opposition defenders was part of our forward-half defence which caused repeat entries. The three amigos rarely played together this year with Rioli missing the first half of the season and Butler missing that later six week period.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
games we lost
Adelaide killed us and we were flattered by a 36 point scoreline. bigger bodies was the key
Wce killed us  they did better what we usually do and again we looked undersized across the park.
Collingwood won c/p's  clearances, tackles and ultimately inside fifties again they had a significant advantage in size.
The need for a contested ball winning beast can not be overstated.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
games we lost
Adelaide killed us and we were flattered by a 36 point scoreline. bigger bodies was the key
Wce killed us  they did better what we usually do and again we looked undersized across the park.
Collingwood won c/p's  clearances, tackles and ultimately inside fifties again they had a significant advantage in size.

Agreed. I think our draft choices this summer indicate that the club agrees too.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
games we lost

Agreed. I think our draft choices this summer indicate that the club agrees too.
Well lets hope we can get some games into them or will we do what we usually do and  let them rot away while we play hacks like Shatamapantsama  Ellis.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Pretty good thread this one  :thumbsup
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
"Shatamapantsama"

This is comedy gold.....:clapping
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
"Shatamapantsama"

This is comedy gold.....:clapping

It’d actually be funny if he was talking about Brad Bootsma
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.