Author Topic: We didn't sell the farm to get Lynch: Dimma (afl site)  (Read 1117 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
We didn't sell the farm to get Lynch: Dimma (afl site)
« on: March 17, 2019, 05:39:09 PM »
Hardwick emphatically rejected the notion the Tigers sold the farm to bring Lynch to Punt Road, with some critics suggesting they now lack depth.

Reece Conca (Fremantle), Corey Ellis and Anthony Miles (Gold Coast), Sam Lloyd (Western Bulldogs) and Tyson Stengle (Adelaide) all departed in last year's NAB AFL Trade Period.

Riewoldt and skipper Trent Cotchin were among those who restructured their contracts ahead of Lynch's arrival.

"The management of our cap is something we manage really carefully and our guys did a power of work two years ago on the Tom Lynch deal, so freeing up cap space for this to happen," the coach said.

"That's what smart clubs do and our club falls, I feel, into that category. We always knew this was what it was going to look like.

"It's not as if we all of a sudden said 'Let's go after, Tom – oh, geez, we've got to make some room and get rid of these blokes'.

"Our guys work very hard on understanding the length of contracts, the timing of contracts and the amount of money we need in certain situations, so it was a very calculated decision."

Source: AFL website

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: We didn't sell the farm to get Lynch: Dimma (afl site)
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 10:07:48 PM »
The notion that we sold the farm to get Lynch and that consequently we now lack depth is so dumb it defies even basic logic.

Conca - Massive offer from a rival club for the UFA. Dumb not to take it.
Miles - Writing on the wall and wanted a chance to play.
Ellis - Going nowhere with us. Moved on to give another player a chance.
Lloyd - Similar to Miles.
Stengle - Wanted game time, and while young, was back in the pecking order with us.

I'd have said that only Conca, Miles and Lloyd were really depth players in that lot. Ellis looked done with us and Stengle was still developing.

As far as I can tell, none of them left to create salary cap space. Maybe Conca.

And by the looks of it, we got a pretty reasonable bunch of kids in the draft. Time will tell, but a couple of them look really promising at this stage.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: We didn't sell the farm to get Lynch: Dimma (afl site)
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 10:21:01 PM »
The notion that we sold the farm to get Lynch and that consequently we now lack depth is so dumb it defies even basic logic.

Conca - Massive offer from a rival club for the UFA. Dumb not to take it.
Miles - Writing on the wall and wanted a chance to play.
Ellis - Going nowhere with us. Moved on to give another player a chance.
Lloyd - Similar to Miles.
Stengle - Wanted game time, and while young, was back in the pecking order with us.

I'd have said that only Conca, Miles and Lloyd were really depth players in that lot. Ellis looked done with us and Stengle was still developing.

As far as I can tell, none of them left to create salary cap space. Maybe Conca.

And by the looks of it, we got a pretty reasonable bunch of kids in the draft. Time will tell, but a couple of them look really promising at this stage.
Agree totally with this. I think I've posted this before but those players we lost, with the possible exception of Stengle, had reached their ceiling as players. The ceiling was ok but not that high. We now have got in a bunch of kids who I think have far higher ceilings in their place. That is a good thing as well.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.