Author Topic: Don't see Tigers challenging Eagles & Pies as they lack a Plan B: Malthouse (HS)  (Read 2021 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Mick Malthouse,
Herald Sun
March 16, 2019

I don’t see another standout club challenging West Coast and Collingwood for the premiership cup this season — yet.

The Eagles and Magpies have the potential to be even better with their ins this season — Nic Naitanui, Andrew Gaff and Brad Sheppard; Jamie Elliott, Darcy Moore and Dayne Beams.

Question marks remain over Richmond’s ability to absorb Tom Lynch into its system. Lynch in the team means one less medium to small defensive type forward that the Tigers’ structure has been successfully based around.

And Richmond’s use of the ball going into attack is quite often bludgeoning it forward or kicking it in at all costs, whereas Lynch needs to lead on to something.

No doubt the Tigers are a top side, but there’ll be a bit of adjustment needed to accommodate Lynch.

Worryingly also, is the lack of a Plan B. You always need something to fall back on if Plan A isn’t working and against Collingwood in the preliminary final, Plan B was Plan A and Richmond was destroyed. This needs to change.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/expert-opinion/only-four-teams-are-capable-of-winning-2019-premiership-mick-malthouse-writes/news-story/93dccda16357a588b99f179559edae52

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
Moore and Elliot how about they get on the park regularly.Before that preliminary we owned pies.Eagles they do worry me the only side that does.I do agree tho we need a plan b and plan c when teams counter us bit static last year coaches box and the worry is we haven't able to see jow Lynch is going to go in our system.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 05:39:37 PM by georgies31 »

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Plan B -go wide.... :shh

One on one should be every side's plan b/default setting at least... followed by things like-depending on the situation- flooding, keepings off, play on at all costs and tagging - all the basic stuff you don't have to learn/teach dumb footballers who are usually flat out learning, remembering and executing one game plan.. :shh :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
Also pretty sure Lynch will make us more flexible not less.. as for the haphazard forward entries - that's just another reason we need to start phasing out serial bombers and panic kickers like Grigg ,McIntosh, Castagna, Ellis etc.... :shh :shh :shh

- Gustav Mahler

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
if one on one is plan b we are stuffed just too many squibs in the team.

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
Do Collingwood and West Coast have a plan B??  :shh
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
if one on one is plan b we are stuffed just too many squibs in the team.

Yep the carrying the likes of Lambert , Markov, Short, Butler, Ellis, Manadue, Houli & Grigg would indeed make that a high risk tactic. :shh

« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 02:31:54 PM by Diocletian »

- Gustav Mahler

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
We are restricted by what we do because we have so many smalls in the team. Smalls generally cant play tall what you have is what you have got.
Houli, Short, Lambert, Edwards, Rioli, Butler, Higgins, Graham, Ellis, Prestia, and possibly Weller as well. All smalls hard to change things with so many of the one type once you go small you are stuck with it.

Personally i would like to see more mediums or tall mids  in the side at the expense of a couple of smalls it has to help with flexability.
I think one reason Grigg and McIntosh have played so many games is the lack of bigger mids in the team

To me get rid of the squibs play some players even smalls who will cope with pressure play RC-D and Ross, Sydney Stack a small yes, but he is hard at it and actually wins contested ball and lays a good tackle.
Lynch will play when fit it gives us options and Balta is an athlete and gives us genuine flexability. Imo we dont lose anything by playing these guys especially at the expense of blokes like Houli,Ellis, Short  etc.

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
We are restricted by what we do because we have so many smalls in the team. Smalls generally cant play tall what you have is what you have got.
Houli, Short, Lambert, Edwards, Rioli, Butler, Higgins, Graham, Ellis, Prestia, and possibly Weller as well. All smalls hard to change things with so many of the one type once you go small you are stuck with it.

Personally i would like to see more mediums or tall mids  in the side at the expense of a couple of smalls it has to help with flexability.
I think one reason Grigg and McIntosh have played so many games is the lack of bigger mids in the team

To me get rid of the squibs play some players even smalls who will cope with pressure play RC-D and Ross, Sydney Stack a small yes, but he is hard at it and actually wins contested ball and lays a good tackle.
Lynch will play when fit it gives us options and Balta is an athlete and gives us genuine flexability. Imo we dont lose anything by playing these guys especially at the expense of blokes like Houli,Ellis, Short  etc.

I do agree,but you take out Houli and Short you got no drive of half back and run and carry so it's a balance.I think at times we need to change a bit systems go more tall we have the players to do it just like the eagles do 2 monster forwards and one genuine ruck and one second ruck forward.Balta and Lynch come in both very flexible.

strongandbold

You are aware that size really means little in the modern age?  I've seen some of your posting and it seems like you are stuck in the past.  Get with the times or youll sound like a fool.