Football > View from the Outer

Melbourne's 2009 tanking scandal laid bare (Herald-Sun)

<< < (2/2)

Diocletian:
As much as it sickens me and goes against every fibre to defend them - AFAICR Collingwood weren't deliberately playing blokes out of position and I seriously doubt even Eddie was instructing Malthouse to lose or that Malthouse woudn't have told him where to go if he had....sending players in for operations, puttng games into kids and having a good look at your list once you can't make finals is just smart list management, not tanking.....and if we find ourselves out of contention by say, round 14, I hope we do the same... :shh

mightytiges:
Not saying it wasn't smart by the Pies and I agree we should play the kids if this season ends up gone. However, there were two dodgy games that the Pies conveniently lost with odds plays from the coaching box. Against North they were 3 goals up at the 26 min mark of the last quarter but didn't put numbers behind the ball which allowed North to run them over. Then they kept Buckley at FF while bottom side Carlton kicked 9 goals in a row against them. One more win would've cost them a top 5 priority pick so there was the incentive to lose.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version