Author Topic: Hardwick's post-match media conference  (Read 869 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hardwick's post-match media conference
« on: August 18, 2019, 05:33:58 PM »

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Hardwick's post-match media conference
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 09:35:12 PM »
Hardwick saw plenty of room for improvement but was pleased by his side's surge mentality.

"What I am happy with is it looks like a Richmond brand of footy," he said.

"Time in forward-half was significant for us, we managed to get the ball played predominantly from the territory game but just couldn't quite get the scoreboard dominance we were after. We left a couple of goals on the table.

"We're really happy to play those (top) sides at the back end of the year and give us every chance to see what our best footy looks like."

Hardwick noted that the Eagles' goals from stoppages had put the Tigers on the back foot early.

"I think they kicked five from their forward 50 which is catastrophic in nature, so we'll go to work on that," Hardwick said.

"We can't allow that to happen again."

https://www.cessnockadvertiser.com.au/story/6334453/hardwick-sees-tigers-of-old-in-big-afl-win/?cs=4783

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Hardwick's post-match media conference
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 04:03:43 PM »
More from Dimma:

Eagles’ flying start

“They jumped us and played really well . . . They got the ball out through the front and we just couldn’t stop them. Obviously it was disappointing to give up seven goals in the first quarter, something we haven’t seen for a period of time. I just think we allowed them to transition a little bit easily.”

Stoppage goals a key problem

“Stoppage goals obviously hurt. I think they got five from their forward-50, which is catastrophic . . . So we’ll go to work on that. We can’t allow that to happen again. They’re just too easy those scores to give up . . . We’ve got to get better in that area.”

The fightback

They tried a couple of things that worked early and we adjusted. We tightened our screws defensively. I was pleased with our guys’ endeavour, effort and intent to get back in the contest and eventually wrest it away. It was a pretty good game of footy – hard and tough . . . It was really pleasing to see us fight that hard to get the win.”

Dustin Martin’s major midfield influence

“I thought he started to turn the game for us, started to get some really important possession. I thought him and Dion (Prestia) and Shane (Edwards) went to work and started to get the game a bit more on our terms.”

Rucks respond

“I was really pleased that the rucks lifted after quarter-time. I thought they were disappointing in the first quarter. But they’re young and inexperienced. Adam (assistant coach Adam Kingsley) challenged those guys, (Ivan) Soldo and ‘Marbs’ (Mabior Chol), and they were a hell of a lot better after quarter-time, which is pleasing as well. It’s always good when you get a response from players, we just thought they’d bring it a little bit earlier in the first quarter . . .”

Tigers not just a wet-weather team

“It was important to show that we could match it with them in the dry . . . Obviously the first quarter was dry and the second quarter was dry until half-time. I thought we had ascendancy in that quarter . . . It was good to get back on terms.”

Why West Coast provides such a worthy test

“They punish you on turnover, and they don’t miss goals . . . They’re so clean with their ability to finish, and that’s what makes them a great side. But that’s why we’re really happy to play those sides at the backend of the year. It gives us every chance to see what our best footy looks like.”

Overall assessment of the performance

“We’ll always find room for improvement. What I am happy with is it looks like a Richmond brand of footy. Time in forward half was significant for us. We managed to get the ball played predominantly from a territory game. But we just couldn’t quite get the scoreboard dominance we were after. We left a couple of goals on the table.”

Full article: https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2019-08-19/dimma-dissects-west-coast-win