Author Topic: Hardwick's post-game presser / "It's a great reward for our footy club": Dimma  (Read 625 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dimma's post-match presser:

WATCH: https://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/1199288/round-22-hardwick-post-match

------------------------------------------------------

After the Tigers missed last year's finals following their 2020 grand final win, Richmond coach Damien Hardwick described the September berth as a "great reward".

"It's probably something we don't celebrate enough, making finals and qualifying for the finals is a significant achievement," Hardwick said.

"I think it's as open a season as I've seen it.

"I probably look at a couple of sides, Geelong in particular, they're probably sitting above but then I think after it's relatively even.

"I think it's going to be an outstanding finals campaign and that's what the AFL wants."

Hardwick said the side “always had an internal confidence” about making finals.

“There were stages [this season] where we weren’t quite playing our very best footy but we were learning a lot about ourselves and how our side operates and what keeps it in good stead. But look, it’s a great reward for our footy club.

“We’ve sort of always known, and history has shown us along the way, you need to be playing your best footy at the right time. We’ve been playing pretty good footy at the moment, there’s some bits of our game that we could tidy up a little bit … primarily I walk away really happy with how we played.”

“There’s a reason key forwards are highly regarded,” said Hardwick. “You know, you’ve got to remember it’s the first full pre-season he’s had since he’s been at our footy club. Like he’s played off basically zero prep the other seasons we’ve had him, and it’s really significant that he does get the work in, comes in, and you see how big and strong he looks in the contest today … really pleased with his reward.”

Hardwick also said he was really pleased with Jack Riewoldt, acknowledging Lynch was on and allowed him the space to shine. “[Jack] got the hell out of his way, which is significant leadership shown by Jack but also the other forwards as well.”

Sources: The Age & Canberra Times.