Author Topic: Opinion: Richmond benefiting from players yet to win premiership  (Read 629 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Opinion: Richmond benefiting from players yet to win premiership
Brian Allen
Local Sport

Richmond's form issues, injuries and absences have been a blessing in disguise this season.

There is a commonly held belief in AFL circles a club needs to turnover its playing list each season to keep on top of its game.

It matters even for the most successful sides such as the Tigers which have won two of the past three flags.

Legendary AFL coach David Parkin has a good quote: that there is always a better way of "doing tomorrow what we have done effectively today".

"If you just repeat tomorrow what you did successfully today, someone will add something different and better, which means all you can do is come a good second," he told Coaching Life magazine in 2016.

"Challenge your staff and players to provide those new and better inputs."

The Tigers have had an up-and-down start to the season with five wins, three losses and a draw.

But they found their mojo on Wednesday night with a 41-point victory against a formidable Western Bulldogs outfit.

There's plenty of talk after losses about how Richmond players appear to lack motivation this season.

Former St Kilda player Leigh Montagna was among the commentators who voiced concerns.

"I've watched all three of their games live now, and besides the first-quarter onslaught against Carlton they were a bit pedestrian," he said on Triple M when Richmond played Hawthorn.

"Carlton matched them for three quarters, Collingwood they were pretty ordinary for most of the game and again tonight.

"Normally you give teams, you give them one mulligan, two's starting to be a bit of a coincidence.

"By the third time, I'm just wondering whether their desire and motivation for this season is here.

"I don't know if they can climb the mountain once again.

"I'm starting to question whether Richmond can win the flag this year."

It would be hard for the Tigers to keep motivation high after winning the past two out of three premierships.

It's also worth noting motivation levels for footballers in general could be impacted by the coronavirus interrupted season.

They are living unusual lifestyles in hubs.

While some players might be genuinely lacking motivation there are certainly Tigers who won't be.

They'll be the ones who haven't tasted premiership success.

Sydney Stack, Jack Higgins, Jack Ross, Mabior Chol, Derek Eggmolesse-Smith, Jake Aarts, Oleg Markov and Noah Balta are among those who haven't played in a Tigers' AFL premiership.

Those eight were part of the win against the Bulldogs on Wednesday.

The fact they haven't won an AFL premiership would help motivate their veteran teammates such as captain Trent Cotchin, Dustin Martin and Jack Riewoldt who have.

They'd be motivated to help those young players taste the ultimate success for the first time.

Not only that but those hungry youngsters are making the experienced premiership players earn their spot.

They're also bringing new skills to the team and complementing Richmond's stars.

The new-look Tigers look as imposing as any other AFL side.

https://www.standard.net.au/story/6858942/opinion-tigers-look-threatening-again-after-changing-personnel/?cs=10266
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)