Author Topic: State of Umpiring [merged]  (Read 268632 times)

Dougeytherichmondfan

Re: State of Umpiring [merged]
« Reply #1095 on: May 28, 2018, 07:26:17 AM »
My solution would be to have some adjudicate without any adgenda or bias and just call it as they see it (and perhaps have someone who's eyes arnt painted on).

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1096 on: May 28, 2018, 07:36:52 AM »
My solution is to scrap the whole system. We don’t use it at any other part of the game so pee it off.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1097 on: May 28, 2018, 08:03:04 AM »
My solution is to scrap the whole system. We don’t use it at any other part of the game so pee it off.
Exactly. Rance has his arm held, free kick missed, Saints score a goal. Why is this not reviewed too?
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1098 on: May 28, 2018, 08:42:46 AM »
I think that the most important criticism Dimma has of the review system is being missed.

That is, it is a momentum killer for both the game itself and the crowd watching.

We want footy to be watchable, that is why we like the game. If that means copping a few howlers, so be it. I have generally thought that the goal umpires are remarkably accurate in their calls. You get the odd bad one, but often they make calls that are too close to call anyway. In that situation, I bet the human decision is typically better, and probably more in tune to the game.

Case in point. Higgins kicks a goal. Umpire calls for a review. Game stops while we wait and get restless. Goal is overturned. Saints kick the next 4 against the flow of the game to that point.

The AFL would be a damn side smarter to try and improve the consistency of the central umpires. Indeed, I think this goal review garbage is simply a smokescreen to cover up a serious problem they have with the central umpiring.

And let's face it, we all (every follower of an AFL team) like to be able to have a whinge if we don't win.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #1099 on: May 28, 2018, 09:42:51 AM »
The inconsistency kills me.  We get mugged all game and can't win a free for it but we look cockeyed at one of them and they fall over themselves to give them a free and a fifty if they aren't quite in range.  In every game I have seen our players held onto or tackled so they cannot attack the ball and it is all clear.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1100 on: May 28, 2018, 11:33:29 AM »
We may as well just walk onto the field with our pants down to our ankles

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #1101 on: May 28, 2018, 02:26:24 PM »
At least we didn't cop the worst decision of all tme like Fremantle did with that no free to Hamling call....though  that umpire's probably earnt himself the dreamtime gig now... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #1102 on: May 28, 2018, 03:08:30 PM »
At least we didn't cop the worst decision of all tme like Fremantle did with that no free to Hamling call....though  that umpire's probably earnt himself the dreamtime gig now... :shh
Saw that non decision. I couldn’t believe it and then I couldn’t believe Dermie had trouble deciding on whether or not  it was a good or bad decision.  :lol
The club that keeps giving.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1103 on: May 28, 2018, 03:14:29 PM »
AFL will stress video review operators to only overrule blatant errors after contentious MCG call

Jon Ralph, Chris Cavanagh,
Herald Sun
28 May 2018

THE AFL will this week stress to its video review operators they should only overrule blatant errors and not lineball decisions.

The league yesterday said that Jack Higgins’ overruled goal was the correct decision despite outcry from the AFL community.

But the Herald Sun understands AFL football operations boss Steve Hocking will effectively tell the video operators not to attempt to be heroes with difficult calls.

Only when there is overwhelming evidence should they change the decision made by the goal umpire on the day.

The league is expected to clarify the process in a statement this afternoon.

Richmond legend Matthew Richardson jokingly said goal umpires were becoming irrelevant because their decisions were rarely upheld.

The AFL tells the “third umpire” it should always use the camera angle furthest from the ball to avoid distortion of the lens.

On Saturday the camera angle furthest from the ball appeared to indicate not all of the ball was over the line when St Kilda’s Tom Hickey touched Tiger Higgins’ long-range shot.

The Fox Footy angle closer to the ball — which could have been affected by distortion — showed the ball clearly over the line.

Regardless, a decision that is impacted by the distortion of a camera angle should not be overturned.

Hocking told 3AW yesterday that there was the basis for a quality system, having ruled out a “bunker” trialled by the AFL in 2016.

“We have been very clear with the goal umpires. Whatever their position is, unless it’s overwhelmingly obvious you don’t change it,” he said.”

And we have communicated that to the score reviewers and clearly we need to continue to do that.

“The angle everyone has seen is different to the one that is used for the review. That is the one we need to sort out.”

Asked if Richmond was robbed, he made clear the right decision had been made regardless of the process.

“No, they weren’t. When you’re looking at what you’ve seen that is a different angle. We’ll clear that up during the week.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/richmond-coach-damien-hardwick-labels-score-review-system-an-embarrassment-after-contentious-decision-at-mcg/news-story/0f85e136f46b40110c9d2b10ee82e144

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1104 on: May 28, 2018, 03:26:13 PM »
The review system should not be shown to the audience either at the ground or on TV.  Just let them make the call and move on.

Offline Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1105 on: May 28, 2018, 03:35:14 PM »
Watch as the Bombers score a goal against us that should have been reviewed and wont be, Tigers seem to be the proverbial crash dummies.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #1106 on: May 28, 2018, 04:34:29 PM »
[smasha]No coincidence the first ever free kick for a deliberate rushed behind was awarded against us too.... :shh[/smasha]
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1107 on: May 28, 2018, 04:50:20 PM »
[smasha]No coincidence the first ever free kick for a deliberate rushed behind was awarded against us too.... :shh[/smasha]
Thanks smasha.  :lol
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1108 on: May 28, 2018, 04:54:35 PM »
According to SEN, Foxsports/FoxFooty is reporting that the AFL has just come out and said Jack Higgins goal should have stood.

#aflscorereviewstuffup

Online eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1109 on: May 28, 2018, 04:57:16 PM »
Official complaint should be lodged by the club.