Author Topic: Hardwick on AFL360 last night / Dimma trolls Robbo lol  (Read 772 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hardwick on AFL360 last night / Dimma trolls Robbo lol
« on: August 31, 2022, 06:07:10 AM »
Dimma was asked about Dustin Martin.

His answer was... unexpected Well played, @hardwick_damien

https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/afl/afl-360/dimma-mutes-himself-to-avoid-dusty-query!833523

---------------------------------

‘You smart****!’ Tigers coach leaves AFL 360 hosts in stitches with priceless Dusty moment

David Zita
Fox Sports
August 31st, 2022

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick says star Dustin Martin has “done everything we’ve asked”, with the match committee to make a final call on his availability on Wednesday.

Martin has been absent from AFL level since July and has played just eight games in 2022 as he deals with a hamstring injury.

Hardwick, speaking to AFL 360, indicated the three-time Norm Smith medallist was close to selection.

“We’ll take in a squad of 26 and Dustin is in that squad of 26. We’ll finalise the squads tomorrow afternoon in our final team meeting,” he said.

“He had a really good session on Monday and it was really evident, he was hitting high speeds that he hasn’t hit for a period of time.

“He’s done everything we’ve asked, we’ve just got to pick him to play, which is on me and the match committee.”

When co-host Mark Robinson pressed Hardwick for an answer, the three-time premiership coach opted to have a bit of fun.

Hardwick feigned answering the question but was on mute, leaving Gerard Whateley and Robinson perplexed until he revealed he had switched off his audio purposefully.

“I’m only joking Robbo, it’s alright, I can’t answer!”

Robinson responded: “You smartarse!”

Straightening up, Hardwick suggested Martin would “play a different role” if he was to make the final side.

“He will play predominantly forward. We know he’s played that role before and he’s quite capable,” he said.

“Against Brisbane he’s had some really good games like that. What we do know is that players of Dustin’s ilk put themselves where they need to be.

“I’ve said this often as a coach, the very best players have got a great understanding of where to put themselves at the best of times.

“He’s got another session to get through tomorrow. It’s just a light session, but just to make sure he pulled up okay from the previous day.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/richmond-tigers/afl-news-2022-damien-hardwick-interview-dustin-martin-will-he-play-injury-richmond-vs-brisbane-lions-afl-360-funny/news-story/b966d6c4ef0cf60123663f8a1413e30d

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Hardwick on AFL360 last night / Dimma trolls Robbo lol
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2022, 02:33:14 PM »
Later in the interview Hardwick’s dog could be heard barking in the background, prompting Robinson to request Hardwick put his pet on camera, which of course, he briefly did with a big smile.

“Bloody Hank (his dog) … the big fella. Losing his mind,” the Tigers coach said, before joking: “The worst TV of all time, you blokes!”

Robinson added: “Could you imagine you acting like this five years ago? No way, you were a cat on a hot tin roof, Dimma (Hardwick) going into a first final.

“And (now) you’re picking up your bloody dog on national television and laughing and giggling. It says a little bit about you as coach and your team I suppose.”

Hardwick then admitted he’d loosened up in recent years, with this more lighthearted approach from Richmond widely said to be key in its resurgence in 2017 as it went on to win three of the next four flags in a golden era.

“The one thing we always talk about is we work incredibly hard in our preparation to be diligent, but we like to have a fun time along the way,” he said.

“The one thing I’ve tried to do is separate myself as much as possible, and it is a challenge at various stages. The dog keeps me cosy at various stages. One of these at various stages will relax me also,” as Hardwick then held up a beer to the camera.

Robinson added: “You are loose mate, you are loose!”

Hardwick concluded that making the finals in itself should be embraced — a sentiment echoed by Tigers veteran Jack Riewoldt later on the show with the fresh perspective from teammate Robbie Tarrant, who hasn’t played in the post-season in eight years.

“The game itself is so much fun — to make finals itself — it’s so hard these days, the competition is so even, so we want to celebrate it, but we also can’t wait for the challenge ahead, it is a season within a season as we know,” Hardwick said.

“But we’re really looking forward to the challenge of going up to Brisbane, getting the warm weather on our backs and giving ourselves our best shot.

“We certainly know our best footy is quite capable of (posing) a significant challenge to other sides playing in September also.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/richmond-tigers/afl-news-2022-damien-hardwick-afl-360-interview-video-highlights-picks-up-dog-shows-beer-to-camera-dustin-martin-selection-fun-shift/news-story/87c6956b4461bd2c246f3a1a2ad02e6e