Author Topic: Hugo Ralphsmith - 2023 expectations?  (Read 3135 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hugo Ralphsmith - 2023 expectations?
« on: January 31, 2023, 05:52:05 AM »
What are your expectations for Hugo in his third season and what would be a good year for him?

Career stats:
          Games  Kicks   Hballs  Disposals  Marks  Tackles    G.B    Clear.   In50      Re50     GA
2021:   6 (1*)  4.5      3.7         8.2        1.2       0.8       3.2      0.0      1.6        0.8      0.0
2022: 13         7.8      6.7        14.5        3.5       1.3       5.1      0.3      2.1        1.9      0.1

* games as sub.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-richmond-tigers--hugo-ralphsmith

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Hugo Ralphsmith - 2023 expectations?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2023, 06:59:30 AM »
I think he'll struggle to break into the side, similar to Graham, but a good year would probably be 15ish games and further improvement on impact/stats. He made good improvements last year so hopefully keeps that up.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2023, 07:04:17 AM »
My expectation is he won't get a haircut  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2023, 09:05:14 AM »
My expectation is he won't get a haircut  ;D
Agreed, no haircut for Hugo ...   ;D
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2023, 10:53:45 AM »
My expectation's  are that he will be in a KFC add with the 1970’s add theme

To be serious, I expect him to slip into the side on the wing if either Macca or Picket get injured or lose form, has worked hard on speed and fitness, i think he will be a good player once he builds strength and toughness which comes with maturity

Offline MaccaDacca

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2023, 12:07:45 PM »
I expect Hugo to play in the seniors most weeks. His run and carry is a potentially a massive weapon if used right.

He has clearly improved his fitness and that will allow him to run out more games instead of fading out of games.

Our 2023 game style will suit him.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2023, 12:14:24 PM »
My expectation's  are that he will be in a KFC add with the 1970’s add theme

To be serious, I expect him to slip into the side on the wing if either Macca or Picket get injured or lose form, has worked hard on speed and fitness, i think he will be a good player once he builds strength and toughness which comes with maturity

I hope you're right about the speed - where did you get this information or did you get a chance to see it?

His tank seems good but lacks that breakaway speed IMO.

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2023, 04:31:57 PM »
You can’t replace what you are born with by practice you get the best out of what you’re given with practice. I read he has been working with a sprint coach somewhere  and his speed may have improved, I can’t remember where , someone  else might be able to help

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2023, 07:37:43 PM »
If he wants to break into the side on the wing then it’s not his speed or tank that he needs to improve on, it’s his defensive acts and awareness. That’s why Pickett and kmac are picked each week.

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2023, 07:59:50 PM »
Don’t you need endurance to be a two way runner

Online the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2023, 09:54:30 PM »
I know  supporters are bullish about him but i don't really see it. Maybe im just blind.
I think people get sold too easily on outside types, yes he looks a million bucks at times but most do doing the role he plays.

I can think of lots of players who get all the plaudits and yeah they perform a role but that role in footy is one of the easier ones imo.

Expectation is he puts on some size and strength and with it finds a bit of heart and starts to go hard.

Nearly all mids have great endurance regardless of the role. Well dusty was an exemption to a degree but you can see why.

Id rather we recruited hard running blokes who have endurance but can win a bit of ball for themselves and not be so outside. Failing that blokes who are really damaging when they have ball in hand.

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2023, 10:22:22 PM »
I believe a good team needs to have a good mix of players ( can’t all be inside players)but agree that outside types need to put their body in when they need do for the team . I think the young blokes need time to develop , with most players we recruited taking a few years to get there, I’m not throwing Hugo in the bin just yet

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2023, 10:41:46 PM »
Maybe I’m getting him mixed up with mansell but I remember there was this really ordinary bit of play on the wing where he wanted a 1-2 handball receive when what he should have done after dishing the handball to apply the shepherd .

Either way as mentioned already if he wants to play on the wing needs to be strong and team orientated defensively which pickett and kmac consistently bring

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2023, 12:43:50 AM »

Of course you do. What I was trying to get at with my comment which maybe I didn’t word correctly is that while it does seem he has improved his endurance (fair play to him) I didn’t see this as a weakness of his last season. What I do see as his weakness is his defensive side of the game - positioning, awareness, spoiling, intercept marking, etc. Every club is different and there are some that more heavily utilise their wingers as run and carry, rebound types but for us I believe the defensive contribution is put above everything else.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2023, 10:36:41 AM »
Biggest issue for me needs to clean up his skills and kicking.