Author Topic: An OER Reminder of the Posting Guidelines  (Read 56219 times)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
An OER Reminder of the Posting Guidelines
« on: July 30, 2006, 10:52:49 PM »
Hi All,

Over the past few weeks there have been a number of posts that have fallen outside our posting guidelines.

In particular guideline number 4.

4.   Personal Attacks: We appreciate that people have different opinions and we encourage people to share their views. However, publicly ridiculing or attacking someone’s character because they do not agree with your view and because they post a view that opposes yours cannot and will not be allowed. Posts of this nature will be removed and the poster warned.

Refer: http://oneeyed-richmond.com/forum//index.php?topic=13.0

This has been extremely disappointing because in the time that OER has been up running we believe that the Forum has been able to pride itself on our posters ability to share views and debate without the need to attack one another.

Both MT & I do not like having to edit or delete posts but when posts clearly fall outside the rules we are left with no choice. This has been the situation over the last couple of weeks.

Just to re-iterate what MT said earlier today on: http://oneeyed-richmond.com/forum//index.php?topic=3566.msg39578#msg39578

...it's one thing to have an opinion and it's also ok to disagree about something or say you think the other person is wrong provided you say why you disagree based on the issue and you don't lay into another poster personally. We are big enough here to accept people can disagree with us on a topic without taking it personally. If you do have a problem with a post then you report it to us, the mods, and we will look at it and deal with it if need be. Don't take matters into your own hands and spoil good threads

The purpose of this thread is not to pick on people, point fingers or start some sort of blame game. The purpose of this thread is remind everyone of the posting rules. They apply to everyone and there are no exceptions.

When we posted our guidelines at the launch of OER we conclued with....

Please understand that we are not trying to be heavy handed. We want this forum to be enjoyable for all members and visitors. Please remember that almost all members of the One-eyed Richmond Tiger forum barrack for and are passionate about the same side - the Mighty Tigers    :)

That's what OER is about

:gotigers
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: An OER Reminder of the Posting Guidelines
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 05:54:17 PM »
Hi All,

We think it is time for a reminder about swearing on the forum.

In particular:

No swearing or abusive language. The forum does have a “swear filter” and some people (like myself) are pretty lousy at typing but continually posting to test the filter will result in the member firstly being warned and then dropped to the “swear bench” for 7 days

Refer:
http://oneeyed-richmond.com/forum//index.php?topic=13.0

We have been very lenient the past few weeks (perhaps too lenient) in particular as we know everyone is frustrated with our teams current performances.

Unfortunately things seem to have gotten out of hand.

It seems every second post has a "ffs" or "F#ken", "eff off" - we could go on but that would serve little purpose but everyone should be aware this is unacceptable.

As we said we understand everyone's frustration (especially after yesterday) but we do ask that people start toning down their language and trying to avoid the swear filter

Cheers
WP & MT  :thumbsup

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
An OER Reminder: Please read
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 07:39:18 PM »
Please have a of read of this friendly reminder regarding swearing on the Forum as well as avoiding the Swear Filter  :)

Cheers
WP & MT

http://oneeyed-richmond.com/forum//index.php?topic=3581.msg54566#msg54566

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: An OER Reminder: Please read
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 01:09:31 PM »
We posted a reminder 2 weeks ago about swearing and avoiding the swear filter - especially in regard to using the "F" word and its numerous forms.

On the 2/4/07 this is what I wrote in part:

We have been very lenient the past few weeks (perhaps too lenient) in particular as we know everyone is frustrated with our teams current performances.

Unfortunately things seem to have gotten out of hand.

It seems every second post has a "ffs" or "F#ken", "eff off" - we could go on but that would serve little purpose but everyone should be aware this is unacceptable.

As we said we understand everyone's frustration (especially after yesterday) but we do ask that people start toning down their language and trying to avoid the swear filter

==============

Disppointingly in the last few days the many versions of the "F" word and its helpers (e.g. f off) have re-appeared and it would appear it has yet again gotten out of hand. >:(

I reckon we've been more than fair on this issue

We ask again that EVERYONE TONE IT DOWN

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 04:12:22 PM »
bump

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 04:45:14 AM »
Bump.

We have been very lenient over the past week (perhaps too lenient) as we know everyone is frustrated with our team's current performance especially after the Hawthorn game. However, things have gotten out of hand during the past few days as far as personal attacks and slanging matches. It's spoiling good threads.

WP and I have been more than fair on this over time. Stick to the issue(s) with your opinion and don't personally attack someone and call them names just because they disagree with your opinion on a issue. If you have a problem with someone else's post then report to the admins. DON'T take matters into your own hands. Offensive posts will be edited/removed.

A reminder also about the level of swearing/swear-filter avoidance.

We ask again that EVERYONE TONE IT DOWN

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 10:04:04 PM »
I posted the following on another thread but felt it needs to re-posted here.

Please read and take note!

The following is not directed at 1 individual but to all those who have over the weekend resorted to personal insults

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!   

Stick to the topic.

Disagree with someone? Thats fine, great even but to try and get your point across by taking what are commonly called "pot shots from the cheap seats" and insulting someone because you don't agree is unacceptable.

I am not interested in who started it, who said what because it doesn't hide the fact that a number of OER members are doing it - end of story.

I will repeat what we (MT & me) have said a number of times - stick to the bloody topic and stop with the insults. We've been extremely lenient (perhaps too lenient) but in fairness to everyone else who follows the guidelines please give it a rest. This is supposed to fun place to visit for everyone!

If you don't like a thread - dont post in it.

We cannot remove threads if they don't break the rules but we will edit threads if the get personal.

Regards
WP

http://oneeyed-richmond.com/forum//index.php?topic=5782.msg71389#msg71389

Further to the above -

Snide or childish comments directed at particular genders, religions etc are also totally unacceptable becuase directly or indirectly they are personal attacks and go outside our guidelines

We have during the time this forum's been running avoided having to issue warnings or worse still ban people from the site. Actually we've been very fortunate that we have only had to do this on very rare occasions.

However, we now find that are being left with absolutely no alternative but to issue warnings and look at banning people who continually abuse other posters.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 04:43:43 PM »
A reminder about the level of swearing/swear-filter avoidance. WP and I are fairly lenient but it's been excessive in the last couple of days.

EVERYONE TONE IT DOWN

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 09:05:13 AM »
I have just posted this another thread (Wallace on SEN) and to be honest it could have been posted in any number of threads in the past couple of days but I will re-post it here

People enough with the swearing (even if the swear filter is picking it up). There are far to many post lately that have "eff" this and that, the "c" word plus a few others that are not acceptable.

Refer to this thread

Which highlights the following :

No swearing or abusive language. The forum does have a “swear filter” and some people (like myself) are pretty lousy at typing but continually posting to test the filter will result in the member firstly being warned and then dropped to the “swear bench” for 7 days

As for the personal sniping suggest everyone have a read of the above thread as well because our the rules on that are covered their too

http://oneeyed-richmond.com/forum//index.php?topic=6624.msg89032#msg89032

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 05:26:53 PM »
There's been an increase in the name calling, personal attacks and slanging matches of late.  Even winning games has not seemed to eleviate this. Enough is enough! We've received numerous complaints by email today because like us people are sick of seeing and reading slanging matches of insults which are spoiling good threads :banghead.

EVERYONE TAKE A BREATH, TONE IT DOWN AND STICK TO THE RELEVANT TOPIC!

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 08:07:30 PM »
BUMP

There's been an increase in the name calling, personal attacks and slanging matches of late.  Even winning games has not seemed to eleviate this. Enough is enough! We've received numerous complaints by email today because like us people are sick of seeing and reading slanging matches of insults which are spoiling good threads :banghead.

EVERYONE TAKE A BREATH, TONE IT DOWN AND STICK TO THE RELEVANT TOPIC!

My turn now >:(

As Mr One-Eyed has said we have recevied a number of complaints from people about the sniping, name calling and constant slanging matches that have been going on (in somes cases for weeks now)

We (Mr OE, MT & me) are fairly lenient on most things but when people are not enjoying coming here because discussions are getting hi-jacked by certain posters personal attacks on other members then ENOUGH is ENOUGH

For some people it may have got lost in the crap but we actaully bloody well won on the weekend...seriously we did, it was fantastic..

let's talk about that because that's what this forum is all about ... talking about our Tigers

:gotigers

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 07:58:41 AM »
We realise as Tigers supporters we are all frustrated with the season so far but a reminder for everyone to tone it done! That goes for swearing as well as personal slanging matches.

http://oneeyed-richmond.com/forum//index.php?topic=13.0

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2010, 06:18:48 PM »
BUMP!

Unfortunately it appears that a reminder is needed regarding swearing

As we have said many times we are relatively lenient on the swearing until it gets out of hand. And at the moment it is getting out of hand.

Currently there are far to many post lately that have "eff" this and that. As per our posting guidelines this is not acceptable.

Refer to the link below which outlines all our posting guidelines

And in particular it highlights the following :

No swearing or abusive language. The forum does have a swear filter and some people (like myself) are pretty lousy at typing but continually posting to test the filter will result in the member firstly being warned and then dropped to the swear bench for 7 days

Tone it down EVERYONE!

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Final Warning re swearing
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 12:33:18 PM »
This is a final warning about swearing on the site, in particular the use of the "c" word in its many forms  :banghead :banghead

The use of the "C" word in ANY FORM will not be tolerated.

We have tried to be fair an reasonable on this but it seems there a some posters who are unwilling to abide by this rule and continue to try and use it in many varying forms.

So from now and this applies to everyone - use of the "C" word will now result in an automatic suspension of a minimum of 48 hours

Regards
Mr One-Eyed, WP & MT
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 03:04:26 PM by WilliamPowell »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Final warning re: smut/gutter talk
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2011, 05:14:58 PM »
This is a final warning about the smut/gutter talk. It will no longer be tolerated.

So from now on and this applies to everyone - an automatic 48 hour suspension will now apply.

This is a result of all the complaints we are receiving mostly from our long-time regular posters who are hardly prudes and who do enjoy a clever risque joke now and then. The smut/gutter talk is ruining the footy discussion as the majority of posters don't want to wade through overtly crude and smut filled posts searching for the actual footy talk and opinions. We have tried to be fair and reasonable about this but it seems there a some posters who are unwilling to listen to our continual requests to leave the below the belt gutter talk and 'toilet humour' out of their posts.

Regards,

Mr One-Eyed, WP & MT

ps. A reminder too that the 'report to moderator' function is there to report posts. Please do NOT take matters into your own hands and start baiting and fighting with other posters within threads as you only contribute to spoiling good footy threads which we as mods then need to snip! Please report the post and then the mods will discuss and have the final say on whether a particular post has breached the site's guidelines.