General > General Discussion

A-League thread

<< < (427/452) > >>

Diocletian:
#nix4eva #yellow&black :clapping

dwaino:

--- Quote from: mightytiges on February 18, 2018, 03:10:08 PM ---That would appease/please the AFC, dwaino.

As far as expansion, I'll believe it when I see it with how dysfunctional the FFA is now.

--- End quote ---

They've got to go, as simple as that. They served their purpose which was to fill out another franchise in a small market when the comp was finding its feet. Including the Knights, NZ has not grown one iota and contribute nothing to the league. Instead they suck out of it with continually poor performances, poor crowds and just not being marketable at all. They aren't even in the same federation as us anymore so it just makes no sense and from the outside looking in, their inclusion just looks cheap. If the current A League club bosses are serious about a separate competition from the FFA to build on the current competition by expansion and another tier as they are saying then NZ just has to go. The only purpose the Nix currently serve is developing young Aus players. That can be done at home with an expanded competition. The FFA can keep the Socceroos and leave the A League to someone else because clearly beyond the Sydney market they don't give a toss about developing the domestic league.

mightytiges:

--- Quote from: dwaino on February 18, 2018, 05:47:27 PM ---
--- Quote from: mightytiges on February 18, 2018, 03:10:08 PM ---That would appease/please the AFC, dwaino.

As far as expansion, I'll believe it when I see it with how dysfunctional the FFA is now.

--- End quote ---

They've got to go, as simple as that. They served their purpose which was to fill out another franchise in a small market when the comp was finding its feet. Including the Knights, NZ has not grown one iota and contribute nothing to the league. Instead they suck out of it with continually poor performances, poor crowds and just not being marketable at all. They aren't even in the same federation as us anymore so it just makes no sense and from the outside looking in, their inclusion just looks cheap. If the current A League club bosses are serious about a separate competition from the FFA to build on the current competition by expansion and another tier as they are saying then NZ just has to go. The only purpose the Nix currently serve is developing young Aus players. That can be done at home with an expanded competition. The FFA can keep the Socceroos and leave the A League to someone else because clearly beyond the Sydney market they don't give a toss about developing the domestic league.

--- End quote ---
That's what should happen but the problem the FFA has is there isn't too many instant Western Sydneys out there so the options for expansion are limited. Getting rid of Wellington means 3 new clubs are needed to get to 12. Options limited to South Sydney/Shire/Wollongong, one of Dandenong/Casey or Geelong, & possibly Ipswich/Western Brisbane (?). The FFA will want more derbies to boost crowds and ratings, so I don't see them returning to the Fury or Gold Coast anytime soon.

dwaino:
That’s why expansion won’t happen under FFA. It would require the current club bosses to go through with their talk, create a new comp and you will see some of the old NSL and ethnic clubs come back. The FFA would never do this and creating even two new sterile, characterless teams from scratch won’t do anything for the game.

mightytiges:
I can't believe we're back up 4th  :o. Another pearler of the goal from George  :bow.

--- Quote from: dwaino on February 20, 2018, 07:02:56 AM ---That’s why expansion won’t happen under FFA. It would require the current club bosses to go through with their talk, create a new comp and you will see some of the old NSL and ethnic clubs come back. The FFA would never do this and creating even two new sterile, characterless teams from scratch won’t do anything for the game.

--- End quote ---
Yep. The wishful thinking mentality of the FFA with Gallop in charge is to "fish where the fish are". They see waving their wand and creating another Sydney and another Melbourne team as creating more derbies and solving all ills believing that will boost crowds and tv ratings. As you say this won't happen if these new teams are characterless and as a result have no major following. However, the FFA will never bring in a South Melbourne despite its history and multi-generational supporter base.The FFA has never wanted old 'ethnic' NSL clubs. Even Wollongong Wolves won't come back as the FFA seem locked in on a South Sydney team.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version