<< < (2/2)

one-eyed:
The great coaching caper

HAFEY GOES

... And the Tigers look to home

By Scot Palmer and Peter Simunovich
The Sun
Tuesday, September 21, 1976.

RICHMOND may not look farther than its own backyard to replace Tom Hafey, who resigned as senior coach yesterday.

The yellow and black "short list" is captain Francis Bourke, former skipper Royce Hart, assistant coach Barry Richardson and defender-promotions man Kevin Sheedy.

But whoever gets the job is almost certain to be the head of the club's first panel of coaches.

The Tigers have been toying with a panel since Hafey and Richardson went to America to study coaching methods last year.

Hafey's League career, however, looks far from over.

Collingwood is prepared to pay big money to buy a man with Hafey's experience, and success.

Last night Magpie president, Mr John Hickey, said his club would not make any moves on the coaching job until after Saturday's Reserves grand final.

Reserves coach Ron Richards, who is a candidate for the senior job, will be trying to win the premiership to boost his chances.

Hafey said last night: "It is a possibility that I could coach another League side."

He added he certainly would be looking at an interstate position.

Hafey, 44, who was reappointed Richmond's coach only 12 days ago, said: "I think it is time to get out."

"I've been thinking about it for some time, and wanted a month to consider it at the end of the season."

Hafey said that after a story appeared in The Sun almost three weeks ago that his job was on the line, Richmond had to make a quick decision.

Worried

"I was worried that Richmond may have reappointed me for sentimental  reasons," said the four-time premiership coach.

"I did not want the job in those circumstances."

Tiger president, Mr Ian Wilson, said last night: "The vacant job will be advertised and the committee with make its own investigations to get the best possible man for the job.

"There were discussions about the coaching job and other appointments in the club, like upgrading Barry Richardson and getting back Tony Jewell.

"But these did not have any effect on Tom's job as senior coach.

"He has been thinking about his future for the past six to eight weeks.

Response

"Tom said he felt he was not getting the response from some players and believes a new face and voice at Richmond would be in the best interest of the club."

Hart, who lost the captaincy this season to Bourke, said last night: "If the medical men say 'no go' to playing next year I will pursue the matter of coach.

"Whoever takes it on will know it's a year-to-year basis and that one slip will mean the end.

"I haven't thought much about it until now, but I must admit I would be interested.

"I can't see Richmond appointing a playing coach.

"This is the end of the most successful era in the history of the club and the man who follows on will have to give 100 per cent."

Bourke said: "It is very flattering to know I am a candidate because I've never had any real ambition to coach.

"There will be a lot of names thrown up, but nobody will really know until the committee decides on its man."

Bourke said he believed "anything is possible" when asked whether the Tigers would go for a playing-coach.

"The basis of my game depends on hard work and I have to play well - I'm not sure that a playing coach is and advantage or not," he said.

Richardson, who is also the club's physiotherapist, said: "I would be flattered if I was asked, but even then I would have to weigh up three things after discussions.

"And they would be my wife, serious thought to my business and discussing it with the senior players.

"The talk with senior players would be of paramount importance.

"I would like to know if they thought I was the sort of person they would respond to after playing with them."

one-eyed:
Hafey's last game as Richmond coach:

Date: 28-Aug-1976
Att: 27,249
Venue: VFL Park

Richmond 6.3   9.7    17.12    21.14-140
St Kilda    3.6   6.12    8.16    14.22-106

Goals: Hart 5, Lamb 5, Jess 2, Bartlett 2, Gaunt 2, Cloke 2, Wood, Balme, Borchard.

Side:
Balme, Bartlett, Borchard, Bourke, Cloke, Edwards, Gaunt, Hart, Heard, Henry, Jess, Keane, Lamb, Leech, Malthouse, Morris, Scrimshaw, Sheedy, Stonehouse, Wood.

With an eye towards 1980 - Monteath, Dunne and Freame played in the Reserves that day.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version