Football > Richmond Rant

Is footy all above the shoulders?

(1/2) > >>

mightytiges:
Browny was on MMM commenting that footy is all mental. That the best players and the best sides are able to maintain a high and consistent level of mental toughness throughout the season. When then asked about Richmond and his teammates he basically said we obviously hadn't showed we were mentally tough enough and hence were inconsistent. That the Collingwood, Brisbane and Sydney games this year showed we're pretty good when we're mentally on our game.

I wouldn't say it's all mental but mostly. It might be for Browny who is highly skilled, however for guys like Duncan and Fleming who give their all in each and every game, mental toughness will only get a player and the team so far if their disposal constantly lets them down. 

Thoughts?

JohnF:
I agree that the mental side of footy is huge. The problem is that there isn't a way of getting everyone mentally focused to the same degree. Just like you can't get everyone to be rocket scientists. Sure, you can improve your mental toughness to an extent, but I think having mental toughness is a skill, like everything else. And some are more skilled than others.

JohnF:
To have good footy skills you have to have good co-ordination, which I suppose is a mind-body thing, as the impulses travel from your brain to your hands and feet. The brain signals must be getting short circuited when they come to Hall, Richo, Dunc and Fleming.

WilliamPowell:

--- Quote from: JohnF on July 09, 2004, 04:22:39 PM ---Sure, you can improve your mental toughness to an extent, but I think having mental toughness is a skill, like everything else. And some are more skilled than others.

--- End quote ---

I agree JohnF about mental toughness being a skill - you'd think it would have to be because it can be developed.

I reckon the hard part is getting the balance right. Duncan Kellaway was, I think extremely mentally tough and it was one of his strong skills. His disposal on the other hand was a weak skill - the balance was never right. Joel Bowden's history is the opposite fabulous "skills" as in kicking and handballing but mentally he has appeared weak and lazy. Again the balance hasn't been right.

You look at the best players in the AFL: Voss, Hird and Buckley (I hate saying that) they are not only skillful footballers but mentally strong as well. Voss and Hird have one thing in common strong successful teams. I don't consider the Pies a successful team so with Buckley it would appear to be his own fierce desire and/or pride that drives him.

I sometimes wonder how much mentally stronger some of our blokes would be if we were a successful Club  ???

mightytiges:

--- Quote from: WilliamPowell on July 09, 2004, 04:41:48 PM ---I sometimes wonder how much mentally stronger some of our blokes would be if we were a successful Club  ???

--- End quote ---

So do I WP. IMHO this comes back to the lack of on-field leadership from many of our senior players. If strong/weak mental toughness is shown from the leaders then that flows through to the rest of the team including the young blokes coing through.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version